First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

I looooove lacto-fermented cucumbers

I have also made them myself and experimented with fermenting carrots and garlic. I didn't find a reliable method to keep them from going bad though, especially as I cannot regulate the temperature in my apartment during summer, so it was sometimes too hot.

I also found that it's normal to find yeasts or mold floating at the top after the fermentation process, but if you remove those the stuff below is still edible. And if you then boil the liquid, let the liquid cool and then put the fermented veggies back into it the stuff will keep for some time too (though it needs to refrigerated).

It was very rewarding when it turned out right, but I often had batches go bad and it was kind of too much effort for the rate of success. I'd probably need to buy some better equipment before I try again.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

This thread is giving me a craving ... for pickles, and kefir.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTP

To prevent mold and spoiled batches, there are fermenting crock pots that have a lip surrounding the top where you can airlock it with water. These are pretty expensive so if you want to experiment you can buy Perfect Pickler airlocks that fit on standard mason jars. I plan to buy a large crock pot after I find good recipes that I'll eat on a regular basis, then make them in huge quantities. Thus far I haven't had any bad batches and they seem rare from what I've read, so I just use mason jars with a paper towel or cheese cloth & rubberband.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I am of Pennsylvania German stock
    Me too, unfortunately my Grandfather didn't like sauerkraut for some reason and broke the tradition.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    To prevent mold and spoiled batches, there are fermenting crock pots that have a lip surrounding the top where you can airlock it with water. These are pretty expensive so if you want to experiment you can buy Perfect Pickler airlocks that fit on standard mason jars. I plan to buy a large crock pot after I find good recipes that I'll eat on a regular basis, then make them in huge quantities. Thus far I haven't had any bad batches and they seem rare from what I've read, so I just use mason jars with a paper towel or cheese cloth & rubberband.

Me too, unfortunately my Grandfather didn't like sauerkraut for some reason and broke the tradition.
    Thx for the info, I might buy one of those, but man ... 200 Bux!

Sauerkraut by itself I find a bit too acidic, but together with mashed potatoes it's great!

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Razor View Post

Sauerkraut by itself I find a bit too acidic, but together with mashed potatoes it's great!
    I'm seeing them used on eBay for as little as $114. Not that that's cheap, but -$100 is always a good thing.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    INTP

You're welcome, how long do you keep cucumbers in for like in that picture? I might give that a go next.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    You're welcome, how long do you keep cucumbers in for like in that picture? I might give that a go next.
    Depends a bit on the temperature, generelly about 6-10 days. Ideal temperature AFAIK is around 25-30 degrees Celsius. Some people punch holes into them first with a tooth pick or somesuch so the brine can penetrate them better. The cucumbers should still be fairly firm after fermentation. If they are too soft or slimy something has gone wrong. It's normal that the brine turns milky.

These types of fermented cucumbers are common in Russia, Eastern Europe and Germany. You can also use cut-up larger cucumbers instead.

As spices you can (for example) put in wine leafes, dill, black pepper and juniper berries.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

good for the butt?

MBTI
    INTP

Depends a bit on the temperature, generelly about 6-10 days. Ideal temperature AFAIK is around 25-30 degrees Celsius. Some people punch holes into them first with a tooth pick or somesuch so the brine can penetrate them better. The cucumbers should still be fairly firm after fermentation. If they are too soft or slimy something has gone wrong. It's normal that the brine turns milky.

These types of fermented cucumbers are common in Russia, Eastern Europe and Germany. You can also use cut-up larger cucumbers instead.

As spices you can (for example) put in wine leafes, dill, black pepper and juniper berries.
    Nice, I'm going to try this next.

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    good for the butt?
    Fermented foods replenish beneficial digestive flora that results in a positive pooping experience.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

A positive pooping experience..... Ya don't say!