User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

It's great for cardiovascular health, but as far as regenerative ability, if you plan on putting any stress on your body, you'll need animal protein to repair it.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by kevrawlings View Post
    Oh geez, gettin all Spock on me. I'm a former amateur bodybuilder and year long vegan. I've done a tremendous amount of independent research on this. Veganism is simply foolish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_(nutrient)

"The biological value of plant protein sources is usually considerably lower than animal sources." - Wiki

Like I said, common knowledge.
    Yes, but your original thesis is that a vegan diet is unhealthy, not that plants have lower quantities of protein, which is seemingly rather obvious as plants tend to lack such protein-rich structures as muscle tissue, etc. The issue of the bioavailability of protein in plants vs. animals is not enough to make a claim that a vegan diet is unhealthy. Veganism being unhealthy is your claim, yes?

In practice, the diets of most meat-eating Americans are significantly more unhealthy and detrimental to the health than the diet of your garden variety (pardon the pun) vegan. Would you agree with that? At the very least, one could expect Vegans to be more conscious of the health effects of food vs. the meat-eating default individual.

But, nonetheless, I could argue vigorously each side. It's what I do. My main point, to the degree that I have one, is that you have failed to sufficiently make your case. All I need to do is point out the weaknesses in your argument to keep your argument from being determinative.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

It's great for cardiovascular health, but as far as regenerative ability, if you plan on putting any stress on your body, you'll need animal protein to repair it.
    How do plant eating mammals repair their muscle tissues?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    I suspect you would argue that Krispy Kreme Bacon Cheeseburgers are healthier than a mixed green salad.
    Is it wrong that I kinda wanna eat that?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    Is it wrong that I kinda wanna eat that?
    In nature, fat and sugars are precious commodities and calorie rich. So, your animal nature is attracted to it. Unfortunately, with the abundance of food this animal nature is killing us.

MBTI
    ISTP

Look man, I'm not a lawyer, and I pride myself on that. I'm not some pedantic Socratic rhetorician who gets a hard-on off of trying to sound formally educated. I'm just trying to keep people reading this from making the same mistakes that I've made. The problem isn't meat in the Western diet - it's that everybody eats way, way, WAY too much. I presently have 8 percent body fat, and am 210 lbs. at 6'6''. I know a great deal about nutrition. I'm just putting the truth out there.

Also, my argument is clearly determinative. Plant protein is not used nearly as efficiently, and I cited evidence of the claim. Come to think of it, I don't care if people reading this take my advice or not. I am in exceptionally great physical shape because of my research and knowledge. The proof is in the puddin'. I can live with going out in public and seeing sickly, unhealthy people wandering around with their own wrong-headed opinions about what is or isn't healthy.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    How do plant eating mammals repair their muscle tissues?
    They absorb nutrients completely differently, smart guy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Yes, but your original thesis is that a vegan diet is unhealthy, not that plants have lower quantities of protein, which is seemingly rather obvious as plants tend to lack such protein-rich structures as muscle tissue, etc. The issue of the bioavailability of protein in plants vs. animals is not enough to make a claim that a vegan diet is unhealthy. Veganism being unhealthy is your claim, yes?
    Yeah, I was under the impression that "beans and rice" type meals (almost the only thing I eat at mexican places) are pretty much the most "complete" food. Is that not true? Although, I don't skimp on the sour cream and cheese, so def not vegan.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Also, I think that there's a lot to be said about our preparation of meat and the industry surrounding it worldwide, but especially in the US. So, although the meat might not be too bad for you inherently, there's also lots of other shit in it as well.

MBTI
    ENTP

Look man, I'm not a lawyer, and I pride myself on that. I'm not some pedantic Socratic rhetorician who gets a hard-on off of trying to sound formally educated. I'm just trying to keep people reading this from making the same mistakes that I've made. The problem isn't meat in the Western diet - it's that everybody eats way, way, WAY too much. I presently have 8 percent body fat, and am 210 lbs. at 6'6''. I know a great deal about nutrition. I'm just putting the truth out there.

Also, my argument is clearly determinative. Plant protein is not used nearly as efficiently, and I cited evidence of the claim. Come to think of it, I don't care if people reading this take my advice or not. I am in exceptionally great physical shape because of my research and knowledge. The proof is in the puddin'. I can live with going out in public and seeing sickly, unhealthy people wandering around with their own wrong-headed opinions about what is or isn't healthy.
    You are truly an impressive physical specimen. That alone is enough to give me a hard-on.

Your point about overeating is well-taken. Carry on with the good fight, friend. I wish you luck and good health. You seem very reasonable to me.

/your resident humble pedantic Socratic rhetorician