User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 89

  1. #51
    Senior Member kevrawlings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    137

    Default

    It's great for cardiovascular health, but as far as regenerative ability, if you plan on putting any stress on your body, you'll need animal protein to repair it.

  2. #52
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevrawlings View Post
    Oh geez, gettin all Spock on me. I'm a former amateur bodybuilder and year long vegan. I've done a tremendous amount of independent research on this. Veganism is simply foolish.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_(nutrient)

    "The biological value of plant protein sources is usually considerably lower than animal sources." - Wiki

    Like I said, common knowledge.
    Yes, but your original thesis is that a vegan diet is unhealthy, not that plants have lower quantities of protein, which is seemingly rather obvious as plants tend to lack such protein-rich structures as muscle tissue, etc. The issue of the bioavailability of protein in plants vs. animals is not enough to make a claim that a vegan diet is unhealthy. Veganism being unhealthy is your claim, yes?

    In practice, the diets of most meat-eating Americans are significantly more unhealthy and detrimental to the health than the diet of your garden variety (pardon the pun) vegan. Would you agree with that? At the very least, one could expect Vegans to be more conscious of the health effects of food vs. the meat-eating default individual.

    But, nonetheless, I could argue vigorously each side. It's what I do. My main point, to the degree that I have one, is that you have failed to sufficiently make your case. All I need to do is point out the weaknesses in your argument to keep your argument from being determinative.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  3. #53
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevrawlings View Post
    It's great for cardiovascular health, but as far as regenerative ability, if you plan on putting any stress on your body, you'll need animal protein to repair it.
    How do plant eating mammals repair their muscle tissues?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  4. #54
    Senior Member chooi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    I suspect you would argue that Krispy Kreme Bacon Cheeseburgers are healthier than a mixed green salad.
    Is it wrong that I kinda wanna eat that?

  5. #55
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    Is it wrong that I kinda wanna eat that?
    In nature, fat and sugars are precious commodities and calorie rich. So, your animal nature is attracted to it. Unfortunately, with the abundance of food this animal nature is killing us.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  6. #56
    Senior Member kevrawlings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Look man, I'm not a lawyer, and I pride myself on that. I'm not some pedantic Socratic rhetorician who gets a hard-on off of trying to sound formally educated. I'm just trying to keep people reading this from making the same mistakes that I've made. The problem isn't meat in the Western diet - it's that everybody eats way, way, WAY too much. I presently have 8 percent body fat, and am 210 lbs. at 6'6''. I know a great deal about nutrition. I'm just putting the truth out there.

    Also, my argument is clearly determinative. Plant protein is not used nearly as efficiently, and I cited evidence of the claim. Come to think of it, I don't care if people reading this take my advice or not. I am in exceptionally great physical shape because of my research and knowledge. The proof is in the puddin'. I can live with going out in public and seeing sickly, unhealthy people wandering around with their own wrong-headed opinions about what is or isn't healthy.

  7. #57
    Senior Member kevrawlings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    How do plant eating mammals repair their muscle tissues?
    They absorb nutrients completely differently, smart guy.

  8. #58
    Senior Member chooi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Yes, but your original thesis is that a vegan diet is unhealthy, not that plants have lower quantities of protein, which is seemingly rather obvious as plants tend to lack such protein-rich structures as muscle tissue, etc. The issue of the bioavailability of protein in plants vs. animals is not enough to make a claim that a vegan diet is unhealthy. Veganism being unhealthy is your claim, yes?
    Yeah, I was under the impression that "beans and rice" type meals (almost the only thing I eat at mexican places) are pretty much the most "complete" food. Is that not true? Although, I don't skimp on the sour cream and cheese, so def not vegan.

  9. #59
    Senior Member chooi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Also, I think that there's a lot to be said about our preparation of meat and the industry surrounding it worldwide, but especially in the US. So, although the meat might not be too bad for you inherently, there's also lots of other shit in it as well.

  10. #60
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevrawlings View Post
    Look man, I'm not a lawyer, and I pride myself on that. I'm not some pedantic Socratic rhetorician who gets a hard-on off of trying to sound formally educated. I'm just trying to keep people reading this from making the same mistakes that I've made. The problem isn't meat in the Western diet - it's that everybody eats way, way, WAY too much. I presently have 8 percent body fat, and am 210 lbs. at 6'6''. I know a great deal about nutrition. I'm just putting the truth out there.

    Also, my argument is clearly determinative. Plant protein is not used nearly as efficiently, and I cited evidence of the claim. Come to think of it, I don't care if people reading this take my advice or not. I am in exceptionally great physical shape because of my research and knowledge. The proof is in the puddin'. I can live with going out in public and seeing sickly, unhealthy people wandering around with their own wrong-headed opinions about what is or isn't healthy.
    You are truly an impressive physical specimen. That alone is enough to give me a hard-on.

    Your point about overeating is well-taken. Carry on with the good fight, friend. I wish you luck and good health. You seem very reasonable to me.

    /your resident humble pedantic Socratic rhetorician
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-28-2016, 09:42 PM
  2. [NT] any nt's here NOT drawn to nf's for friendships and/or romance?
    By velocity in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 203
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 04:13 AM
  3. Request: Pictures of Seattle and/or surrounding areas
    By swordpath in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 05:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO