User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    GONE

I think if you wanna be vegan you have to have a firm reason why otherwise you never fully go vegan. If you don't care about being a strict vegan, than it's fine and fun to flirt with it. Vegan baked goods are either too dry or too moist but there is a way to make vegan gluten free cookies very tasty because they basically taste like cookie dough.

With veganism, you have to make sure a very good chef prepares the food unless you want to stick with very simple meals. When I cook my meals are very simple - lots of kale, tomatoes, onions, fake cheese, sometimes okra, sometimes corn, sometimes some grain like wheat bread/noodles/rice or sweet potatoes.

I've lived with some fantastic vegan cooks before so I know vegan food can be very tasty and many meat/veggie recipes can be replicated.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ISTP

Veganism is unhealthy.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by kevrawlings View Post
    Veganism is unhealthy.
    You will have to be more specific. I was recently reading an article about how the vegan diet and its low protein aspects is actually very good at creating a particular hormone that has been tied to life extension. IG4 I think it was called.

/meat eater
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ISTP

repost (and this is basic, well know stuff here, not some arcane article about a particular hormone):

Plant protein has very low bio-availabilty. This means that you're body can't use it nearly as efficiently as animal protein. This is science fact. Bill Walton was Vegetarian and was constantly set back with injuries because of his diet low in animal protein. Travis Barker, after his plane crash, was told by the doctors that he needed to eat meat to heal faster. He did, and he said that he felt much, much better for it. Basically, the ethics of a veggie diet are noble, but if you plan on putting any kind of stress on your body - you'd better be eating some animals.

Also, being the daredevil ISTP that I am, I used to jump off of a lot of things on my skateboard. When I was vegan, I was emaciated, and my scars healed terribly.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by kevrawlings View Post
    repost (and this is basic, well know stuff here, not some arcane article about a particular hormone):

Plant protein has very low bio-availabilty. This means that you're body can't use it nearly as efficiently as animal protein. This is science fact. Bill Walton was Vegetarian and was constantly set back with injuries because of his diet low in animal protein. Travis Barker, after his plane crash, was told by the doctors that he needed to eat meat to heal faster. He did, and he said that he felt much, much better for it. Basically, the ethics of a veggie diet are noble, but if you plan on putting any kind of stress on your body - you'd better be eating some animals.
    You're citing anecdotes. Not scientific evidence. I am quite confident that our vegetarian/vegan brethren can muster an equally superficial counter-argument and marshal similar although completely opposite anecdotes.

/proud carnivore

MBTI
    ISTP

Man, I'm not gonna go diggin around finding evidence of this for you. Ask your doctor. It's common knowledge. Eat soy all day and let yourself turn into an emaciated, yellow, Simpsons character that heals slower than usual. Viva La Revolucion!

MBTI
    ENTP

Sounds like you have the definitive answers. My compliments on your certitude.

MBTI
    ISTP

Oh geez, gettin all Spock on me. I'm a former amateur bodybuilder and year long vegan. I've done a tremendous amount of independent research on this. Veganism is simply foolish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_(nutrient)

"The biological value of plant protein sources is usually considerably lower than animal sources." - Wiki

Like I said, common knowledge.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
    Didn't say there was one, just that you don't have to cut meat out of your diet to have that kind of a healthy diet, but it should be limited.
    Again, I made no claims to the contrary. All I am saying is that the propaganda peddled by groups like PETA that people need to cut meat entirely out of their diet in order for it to be healthy is complete and total bullshit. Yes, too much meat is bad, but meat can be consumed in healthy portions, and a meat-eater, if eating a well-balanced diet, can be every bit as healthy, if not more so, than a vegan or a vegetarian of similar age, physical constitution and activity levels.
    Apparently I misinterpreted you. It seemed to me that you were making claims to the contrary:

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    Lots of vegetables, some meat, eat local. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
    From a dietary perspective this post makes the most sense.
    To me, writing that lots of vegetables with some meat "makes the most sense" implies that it, well, makes the most sense -- that any other diet choice is less healthy. It seems like a strange way of simply arguing that meat can be part of a healthy diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Sounds like you have the definitive answers. My compliments on your certitude.
    i just want to be a sweetheart

Enneagram
    4w5

&bull; View topic - Vegan athletes <- some vegan athletes there

I've been vegan since I was 14/15 and I'm fine. The problem is that veganism is still pretty new, and so there aren't going to be comprehensive studies on 80 year olds who have been vegan their whole life. The majority of vegans I know are under 30 years old. The oldest vegans I know are in their 70s and have been vegan for many, many years, and when they first went vegan were told that they would be dead very soon by people who are now deceased.

I think you can be healthy on a meat-eating diet, a vegetarian diet, and a vegan diet, provided you do it right. However I do feel a lot less clogged up now that I'm vegan. If I had to pick the healthiest diet tho, i'd probably say the raw food diet. The raw foodists I know glow. They look so healthy. And i feel my best when I'm eating significantly more fruit and veges. But god I love cooked food LOL

Anyway, regarding yummy food :

I love sweet n sour tofu, falafel, tom yum soup...nom nom nom. One dish I make which always seems to be popular with meat eaters is this kumara-pineapple dish. Just mix together a tin of blended up pineapple with mashed kumara, sprinkle bread crumbs on top with a little bit of olive oil, then bake for 20 minutes or so, and wa-la. It's super quick and easy to make and tastes yum. My last flatmate loved to cook, and he made amazing vegan blondies and vegan ice cream cake. I really miss his food.