User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Veganism sucks

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Whole cultures have existed on vegetarian diets for generations...
    Which ones? And please provide evidence of their longevity and overall health.

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    while olive oil is rather bland it is healthy,
    Bland? Light olive oil, sure, but extra virgin?

Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    No oil is particularly good for you, but canola is healthier than most oils, certainly better than soybean oil, which is the first ingredient in traditional mayonnaise.
    No, olive oil is used in "traditional" mayo, soybean oil in most of the commercially-produced mayo. I'm not even sure if they had access to soybean oil in France and Spain in the early 18th century when it's first historically documented to have existed.

I suspect you would argue that Krispy Kreme Bacon Cheeseburgers are healthier than a mixed green salad.
    That looks AWESOME!

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    Lots of vegetables, some meat, eat local. Amen.
    From a dietary perspective this post makes the most sense.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
    From a dietary perspective this post makes the most sense.
    Interesting. Are you a health professional?
    i just want to be a sweetheart

MBTI
    ENTJ

Interesting. Are you a health professional?
    No, but the post I was replying to seems to line up with the medical consensus on the topic-- lots of veggies, some meat (s/he left out grains, but still). Our society does overconsume meat, but the idea we'd be much healthier without ANY meat is just vegan propaganda arrived at by cherry-picking information from medical studies.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

People always talk about how vegan/vegetarian diets are so unhealthy while they chomp on their Big Macs and slushees. Whatever. Any diet is healthy if you eat a variety of healthy things and get a complete spectrum of nutrients. It's even better if you eat locally. Frozen fish vs freshly caught or store bought and shipped veggies vs farmer's market/csa - all these things make a real difference. Moderation in any diet is also key. Nitpicking over how many grams of sodium is in something means nothing if you use big old glops of whatever you are nitpicking about.

I've been a vegetarian my whole life and am now mostly vegan.

As far as the OP goes, I love chickpea patties and a lot of asian-styled stir-frys. I also love different curries. I have a whole arsenal of recipes and substitutions and what not, if you want to know something more specific.

EDIT: Also, I never touch texturized soy products made to look like meat. Ick. But I guess for people transitioning from meat, I can see the appeal.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Vegans are evil. They get their protein mostly from Soylent Green.

I recommend putting all of them in meat-eating reeducation camps.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I agree with you. Vegans are evil. So you probably don't want to f*ck with us.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Wink

No, but the post I was replying to seems to line up with the medical consensus on the topic-- lots of veggies, some meat (s/he left out grains, but still). Our society does overconsume meat, but the idea we'd be much healthier without ANY meat is just vegan propaganda arrived at by cherry-picking information from medical studies.
    I think you have an unusual definition of "medical consensus". What is the drawback of a diet that is high in fiber and low in fat? What necessities does meat provide that can't be obtained by other means?

Vegans are evil. They get their protein mostly from Soylent Green.

Rice and beans is peeeeeople!
    i just want to be a sweetheart

MBTI
    ENTJ

What is the drawback of a diet that is high in fiber and low in fat?
    Didn't say there was one, just that you don't have to cut meat out of your diet to have that kind of a healthy diet, but it should be limited.

What necessities does meat provide that can't be obtained by other means?
    Again, I made no claims to the contrary. All I am saying is that the propaganda peddled by groups like PETA that people need to cut meat entirely out of their diet in order for it to be healthy is complete and total bullshit. Yes, too much meat is bad, but meat can be consumed in healthy portions, and a meat-eater, if eating a well-balanced diet, can be every bit as healthy, if not more so, than a vegan or a vegetarian of similar age, physical constitution and activity levels.

MBTI
    ISTP

Plant protein has very low bio-availabilty. This means that you're body can't use it nearly as efficiently as animal protein. This is science fact. Bill Walton was Vegetarian and was constantly set back with injuries because of his diet low in animal protein. Travis Barker, after his plane crash, was told by the doctors that he needed to eat meat to heal faster. He did, and he said that he felt much, much better for it. Basically, the ethics of a veggie diet are noble, but if you plan on putting any kind of stress on your body - you'd better be eating some animals.