User Tag List

123 Last

Oberon

Default The Howard "Bantam" Rotavator Rides Again!

Here's a gardening story told in picture form.

I spend much of last week and almost all the weekend working on this item:

The problem, as it turns out, was this part right here:

...but I couldn't fix it, because this part was messed up:

But I had ordered a replacement one with a rebuild kit and some other parts off of e-Bay, and as of Sunday afternoon it looked like this:

And a little while later, my garden looked like this!

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Yay! I've got to get mine dug up soon. I have raised beds though. I couldn't get that stud in one of my beds. I'd like to have a single row garden for some things. Happy gardening!

btw, what all do you grow?
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutSoul View Post
    btw, what all do you grow?
    That Mohawk of green stuff in the middle of the garden is last year's Swiss chard, which surprisingly wintered over. We've already enjoyed two meals out of it this spring, so that was nice.

In addition to the chard, we've already planted some herbs... a salad green mix, and some sweet basil. I dearly love basil in all its forms, and will stuff a couple of fresh leaves into a sandwich like lettuce if the opportunity arises.

However, the serious planting is yet to come. We will likely put in a couple of different kinds of squash, a couple of rows of tomatoes, several varieties of hot peppers, and some flowers for Anna (my five-year-old). Oh, and maybe some more Swiss chard, since it's been such a success.

If you cut out the stems, the chard can be used wherever you would use spinach. We routinely include it in lasagna. With the stems in, it goes great in soup.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I was hoping to rent a tiller and get the yard dug up last weekend, but we ended up setting up an older computer for the kids instead.

I've got the INTP tentatively reserved for next weekend. I have my plants started in one of these babies and they are looking pretty nice so far.

I can hardly wait to pop the peas out of their pods and into my mouth and don't get me started on home grown tomatoes!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Oberon

I hope to plant some spaghetti sqash this year. That stuff is awesome.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I wish could get my family to eat squash. The only squash I'm planting is zucchini. I need fried zucchini and I don't care if I'm the only one that eats it because if they tried to eat my fried zucchini I might have to take their hands off with my spatula.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I wish could get my family to eat squash.
    Chop it fine and put it in the vegetable soup. They won't even notice.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Looks like a nice big garden.

I planted peas and beans last weekend! I suspect they'll die since I usually don't plant them until May (it's been extremely warm here the past few months, about a month ahead of normal weather...really bizarre). But I couldn't resist! Soo beautiful out. I'll wait for the cuc/zucc and tomatoes though.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

A story with a happy ending ... I love those!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Oberon

I have a packet of heirloom cucumbers I'll be trying out. I'll probably plant them over by the chain-link fence, and trellis them.