User Tag List

First 123 Last

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I like the yellow squash, I think it has more flavor (fried in butter) although you can't use it much in cooked dishes; it falls apart and gets mushy. Zucchini is great for that. I can't wait for the tomatoes either. My ENTJ just spent $2.00+ for one the other day and I just about passed out. Hard, tasteless red round thing that only looks like a tomato.

The swiss chard sounds great. My grandmother used to grow it. I loves me my spinach too. I'd love to grow romaine lettuce but it gets too hot here too fast to grow them full grown, meaning I have to pick the young leaves off for salad instead of having fully grown plants.

As for corn, the stores around here wanted $27.00lb for corn seed. I told them to forget it. I've got some old seed around here somewhere. It won't germinate as well but I'll risk it.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

Oberon

If you're going to plant a small plot of sweet corn (just two or three rows) I recommend you hand-pollinate them. Because corn is wind-pollinated, if you don't get enough plants together in one spot it won't pollinate itself very well, and you'll get corn ears without many kernels on them.

Hand-pollinating is simple to do.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutSoul View Post
    The swiss chard sounds great. My grandmother used to grow it.
    Last night my son made dinner... it was a Swiss chard and chickpea stew. Start with chicken broth, add sliced potatoes and onions, chopped chard, a can of chickpeas, and a few fresh cayenne pepper pods. Season with turmeric and garlic. Dandy stuff... I brought the last of it for my lunch today.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w?

that sounds yummy!
    "...Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand..." (the Skin Horse)

Oberon

Yesterday at my request my patient wife planted a row of cucumbers against the neighbor's chain-link fence. We'll trellis them if they prosper well enough. Today I have high hopes of putting in some sunflowers.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Hand-pollinating is simple to do.
    And sexay too!

Just kidding; it does kind of feel like being mother nature and spreading life across the corn rows though ...
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Oberon

So you've done it, then? Hand-pollinated corn?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I grew up on a farm and yes, we would walk along and shake the tassels ... some people seem to think it increases cob size too. I don't know about that, but I believe it increases yield just because more silks receive the love ...

Two methods of pollen transfer may be used with corn. Cut an entire tassel, and use it as a wand, shaking pollen grains (dust) onto the silks. Alternatively, strip the tassel and deposit the pollen from the anthers directly onto the silks. Either way, the pollen is transferred. Be thorough when dusting the pollen onto the silks, so chances for a bountiful harvest are increased.

Source: HS1149/HS398: Home Vegetable Garden Techniques: Hand Pollination of Squash and Corn in Small Gardens
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Oberon

When I did it, I would shake the pollen from three or four tassels into a paper lunch sack, then brushed it on the tassels with a new, clean paintbrush. Sounds like I did rather too much work.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

How precise of you! It's like any act of procreation - you can take your time or go for the quickie!

You can even carry two tassels and do a dance while you're pollinating ...
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching