• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Getting cat puke stains off carpet?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
YES. World's Best Cat Litter really is!

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Also, this catbox is amazing, although it looks like the dumbest idea ever.
I used to use a sifting litter box, but not the rolling kind (it was basically a strainer tray inside the regular tray). It was okay, except the strainer would get caked with gunk after a while, and need to be cleaned, which was a mess.

Since then (for the last few years), I've been using sifting litter box liners. Basically a stack of thin plastic sheets, perforated in the middle. You line the box with this stack of sheets, then put in the litter. To change, you grab the top sheet by the corners and lift it up, sifting out all the turds and clumps, and throw it out. The last sheet is not perforated (you lift it out with the litter in it, then put in a new stack and dump it back in), so the litter box itself never gets dirty. This method works really well. Quick to change, no mess, and you throw away the part that gets dirty.

I'm interested in that rolling box. Do you ever need to empty out the litter and really clean it?

Depending on which formula you use, the first ingredients will be chicken by-product meal, corn, corn gluten meal, rice, or other substances that aren't premium nutrients for your pets. Comparing prices, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul is slightly cheaper ($35 for a 20 lb. bag of Hill's Science Diet Original Cat Food vs. $25 for an 18 lb. bag of Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul), plus its main ingredient is chicken.
I'll need to research this. I've always had the understanding that Science Diet was very good quality with balanced nutrition.

I just don't think I can bring myself to buy something called Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. Also, the one cat has started having kidney problems, so she's on a low-protein diet. She probably doesn't need something that's primarily chicken.

But I'm going to look into this.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I used to use a sifting litter box, but not the rolling kind (it was basically a strainer tray inside the regular tray). It was okay, except the strainer would get caked with gunk after a while, and need to be cleaned, which was a mess.

Since then (for the last few years), I've been using sifting litter box liners. Basically a stack of thin plastic sheets, perforated in the middle. You line the box with this stack of sheets, then put in the litter. To change, you grab the top sheet by the corners and lift it up, sifting out all the turds and clumps, and throw it out. The last sheet is not perforated (you lift it out with the litter in it, then put in a new stack and dump it back in), so the litter box itself never gets dirty. This method works really well. Quick to change, no mess, and you throw away the part that gets dirty.

I'm interested in that rolling box. Do you ever need to empty out the litter and really clean it?

We tried the sifting liners. I liked it, except that my cat is a particularly enthusiastic digger and she rips them up so they don't sift anymore. Then we tried the sifting litter box and I thought it really sucked. Like you say, the sifter gets all gunked up with wet litter. Somehow, I always ended up making a giant mess when I tried to empty the sifter pan.

So then we considered getting a Cat Genie, the thing you hook up to a toilet or wastewater drain, with permanent granules instead of disposable litter. You can set it to "flush" once (or more) a day- it fills with cleaning solution and agitates the granules, then blows hot air on them to dry them out. Problem: it's $300.

That's when I heard about the rolling litterbox, which is like $35 or $40, I think. (You'll want the large one.) It has a vertical sifter instead of a horizontal one, so it doesn't get gunked up. When you roll it the clean litter goes through the sifter and into a reservoir on one side, while the solids keep rolling, and when you roll it back the other way they go into a little drawer which you empty into the trash (or toilet, if you use corn litter, unless you live in California). It's probably a good idea to clean the box out every so often since poop is, you know, rolling around in it, but you don't have to do it nearly as often as you would with a regular old scooping litterbox. I roll mine two or three times a day so stuff is getting removed within a couple of hours, and the litter is deep enough that the bottom stays dry. So I don't deep clean it very often, maybe once a month or less.

I never thought I would write this much about litterboxes.

OK Radio

MBTI Type
intj
YES. World's Best Cat Litter really is!

Is it the flushable nature of the litter that most impresses you? It's about four times more expensive than Sam's Club clumping clay litter, which I find to hold up adequately. Your enthusiasm is catching, but the price difference is cooling me off.

Martoon said:
I'll need to research this. I've always had the understanding that Science Diet was very good quality with balanced nutrition.

I just don't think I can bring myself to buy something called Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. Also, the one cat has started having kidney problems, so she's on a low-protein diet. She probably doesn't need something that's primarily chicken.

But I'm going to look into this.

I sympathize with your reluctance to buy "Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul." I concentrate on the ingredients and price and try to overlook the name. The cat with the kidney problems needs to stay on whatever prescription plan she's on, obviously, and if your situation is like mine, you can't really feed one cat a specific diet without having all of them eat it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is it the flushable nature of the litter that most impresses you? It's about four times more expensive than Sam's Club clumping clay litter, which I find to hold up adequately. Your enthusiasm is catching, but the price difference is cooling me off.

No, I don't even flush it. It smells SO much better, there's no dust, it's about half the weight for the same volume.. the list goes on and on.