User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. #21
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    YES. World's Best Cat Litter really is!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  2. #22
    perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Also, this catbox is amazing, although it looks like the dumbest idea ever.
    I used to use a sifting litter box, but not the rolling kind (it was basically a strainer tray inside the regular tray). It was okay, except the strainer would get caked with gunk after a while, and need to be cleaned, which was a mess.

    Since then (for the last few years), I've been using sifting litter box liners. Basically a stack of thin plastic sheets, perforated in the middle. You line the box with this stack of sheets, then put in the litter. To change, you grab the top sheet by the corners and lift it up, sifting out all the turds and clumps, and throw it out. The last sheet is not perforated (you lift it out with the litter in it, then put in a new stack and dump it back in), so the litter box itself never gets dirty. This method works really well. Quick to change, no mess, and you throw away the part that gets dirty.

    I'm interested in that rolling box. Do you ever need to empty out the litter and really clean it?

    Quote Originally Posted by OK Radio View Post
    Depending on which formula you use, the first ingredients will be chicken by-product meal, corn, corn gluten meal, rice, or other substances that aren't premium nutrients for your pets. Comparing prices, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul is slightly cheaper ($35 for a 20 lb. bag of Hill's Science Diet Original Cat Food vs. $25 for an 18 lb. bag of Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul), plus its main ingredient is chicken.
    I'll need to research this. I've always had the understanding that Science Diet was very good quality with balanced nutrition.

    I just don't think I can bring myself to buy something called Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. Also, the one cat has started having kidney problems, so she's on a low-protein diet. She probably doesn't need something that's primarily chicken.

    But I'm going to look into this.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

  3. #23
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    I used to use a sifting litter box, but not the rolling kind (it was basically a strainer tray inside the regular tray). It was okay, except the strainer would get caked with gunk after a while, and need to be cleaned, which was a mess.

    Since then (for the last few years), I've been using sifting litter box liners. Basically a stack of thin plastic sheets, perforated in the middle. You line the box with this stack of sheets, then put in the litter. To change, you grab the top sheet by the corners and lift it up, sifting out all the turds and clumps, and throw it out. The last sheet is not perforated (you lift it out with the litter in it, then put in a new stack and dump it back in), so the litter box itself never gets dirty. This method works really well. Quick to change, no mess, and you throw away the part that gets dirty.

    I'm interested in that rolling box. Do you ever need to empty out the litter and really clean it?
    We tried the sifting liners. I liked it, except that my cat is a particularly enthusiastic digger and she rips them up so they don't sift anymore. Then we tried the sifting litter box and I thought it really sucked. Like you say, the sifter gets all gunked up with wet litter. Somehow, I always ended up making a giant mess when I tried to empty the sifter pan.

    So then we considered getting a Cat Genie, the thing you hook up to a toilet or wastewater drain, with permanent granules instead of disposable litter. You can set it to "flush" once (or more) a day- it fills with cleaning solution and agitates the granules, then blows hot air on them to dry them out. Problem: it's $300.

    That's when I heard about the rolling litterbox, which is like $35 or $40, I think. (You'll want the large one.) It has a vertical sifter instead of a horizontal one, so it doesn't get gunked up. When you roll it the clean litter goes through the sifter and into a reservoir on one side, while the solids keep rolling, and when you roll it back the other way they go into a little drawer which you empty into the trash (or toilet, if you use corn litter, unless you live in California). It's probably a good idea to clean the box out every so often since poop is, you know, rolling around in it, but you don't have to do it nearly as often as you would with a regular old scooping litterbox. I roll mine two or three times a day so stuff is getting removed within a couple of hours, and the litter is deep enough that the bottom stays dry. So I don't deep clean it very often, maybe once a month or less.

    I never thought I would write this much about litterboxes.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  4. #24
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I never thought I would write this much about litterboxes.
    Neither would I.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  5. #25
    Member OK Radio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    intj
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    YES. World's Best Cat Litter really is!
    Is it the flushable nature of the litter that most impresses you? It's about four times more expensive than Sam's Club clumping clay litter, which I find to hold up adequately. Your enthusiasm is catching, but the price difference is cooling me off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martoon
    I'll need to research this. I've always had the understanding that Science Diet was very good quality with balanced nutrition.

    I just don't think I can bring myself to buy something called Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. Also, the one cat has started having kidney problems, so she's on a low-protein diet. She probably doesn't need something that's primarily chicken.

    But I'm going to look into this.
    I sympathize with your reluctance to buy "Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul." I concentrate on the ingredients and price and try to overlook the name. The cat with the kidney problems needs to stay on whatever prescription plan she's on, obviously, and if your situation is like mine, you can't really feed one cat a specific diet without having all of them eat it.

  6. #26
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OK Radio View Post
    Is it the flushable nature of the litter that most impresses you? It's about four times more expensive than Sam's Club clumping clay litter, which I find to hold up adequately. Your enthusiasm is catching, but the price difference is cooling me off.
    No, I don't even flush it. It smells SO much better, there's no dust, it's about half the weight for the same volume.. the list goes on and on.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Similar Threads

  1. [SP] Do any other SPs get pissed the hell off on this forum?
    By brainheart in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 09-24-2015, 09:23 AM
  2. How skillfully can you get off topic?
    By Alesia in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 11:49 PM
  3. 'Hot for Teacher' Essay Gets University Student Escorted Off Campus & Suspended
    By iwakar in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 03-29-2013, 07:32 PM
  4. Need to get something off your chest?
    By Grayscale in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 11:04 AM
  5. Somethings I need to get off my chest
    By Sona in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 03:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO