• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vegetarian Recipes

rav3n

Pan-fried Tofu

Marinade tofu that's been sliced into preferred shapes, possibly 2"x1" and 1/3" deep rectangle with light soy sauce, sherry, minced garlic and ginger, finely chopped shallots, and a dash of sugar. Heat olive oil to high and lay pieces flat. Turn only once. Lift/drain and bon appetit!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Pan-fried Tofu

Marinade tofu that's been sliced into preferred shapes, possibly 2"x1" and 1/3" deep rectangle with light soy sauce, sherry, minced garlic and ginger, finely chopped shallots, and a dash of sugar. Heat olive oil to high and lay pieces flat. Turn only once. Lift/drain and bon appetit!

this sounds really good, I love tofu especially fried tofu

gromit

likes this
Here's one of my favorite things in the world lately - I use butter, but I think it would be good with olive oil too.

Sauteed Greens with Butter and Garlic
  • Smash/finely chop garlic (I use tons at least 3 cloves, maybe 5-6 for a bunch of kale from the grocer).
  • Tear or chop the greens, rinse them.
  • Cook garlic in butter (1-2 tablespoons) with some salt and pepper and red pepper (I cook it in a big cast iron skillet, stirring to keep it from burning).
  • When it has cooked awhile but before it's crispy, add the greens to the pan - if they still have a little water from rinsing, that's good, otherwise you might need to add a tiny bit of water.
  • Stir a couple times so they cook evenly.
  • Add more salt/pepper to taste.
This works with all types of greens. If you want to mix and match, I'd say add them in the following order (based on how long it takes to cook):

Collard green stems/cabbage
Kale/Swiss chard stems/collard green leaves
Swiss or rainbow chard
Spinach

It's not a balanced meal, but I sometimes wish it were. I just want to eat like the entire skillet full sometimes. If you want to be fancy add a little cooking sherry or wine. Soy sauce can go well also. And you can replace sliced onions or shallots instead of garlic. But the garlic way is definitely my favorite.

gromit

likes this
OMG I have the beeessssssssssstttt recipe for stuffed pumpkin/squash that's totally vegan and totally amazing. I made it for my brother and his gf and they seemed to really enjoy it. It's quite hearty, has nuts and a bunch of grains and I think lentils and autumn flavors. It's a little bit extensive, so I will have to find time to transcribe it here.

Pan-fried Tofu

Mm that sounds good. How long do you marinate it?

A yummy way I have been eating tofu lately is to cut it into rectangles; put it in an oven-proof dish with thin sliced onions; sprinkle salt, pepper, sage, and grated cheddar; drizzle with olive oil; and bake until the cheese bubbles/crisps a little bit.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pumpkin and Lentil Soup

~8 c cooked, mashed pumpkin
2 c red lentils
2 c vegetable stock (chicken stock OK too, but not true vegetarian)
4-6 carrots, peeled and diced
2-3 stalks of celery, diced (including leaves)
2-3 onions, diced
several cloves of garlic, crushed or grated
1-2 oz fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
ground cayenne pepper to taste

Saute ginger and garlic in olive oil. Add onions and spices and cook until onions are mostly cooked and ginger/garlic is browning. Add lentils, saute briefly. Add carrots and celery, saute briefly. Add stock plus several cups water. Simmer until vegetables are mostly cooked. Add pumpkin and more water if needed, and cook until vegetables are completely cooked. (Can add pumpkin with carrots and celery instead; doesn't seem to make much difference.) Remove half the mixture and puree it in a blender or food processer, then return to the pot and mix thoroughly. This results in a thick stock, but still leaves bits of veggies to chew on. Serve with salad and good bread.

I synthesized this from several recipes I found while looking for a pumpkin recipe that does not involve heavy cream. I like to cook and eat my Halloween pumpkins, but there is only so much pumpkin bread one needs. This combination is surprisingly good, and I can make it all winter long using frozen steamed pumpkin. It makes a large batch, so plan to feed your friends, have leftovers, eat it for lunches, etc. or scale down as needed.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Not really a recipe but here is what I made tonight.

Parboil some asparagus in a bit too much water. Meanwhile mince some garlic and fry in olive oil until it's golden and crispy. Remove from heat and mix in some red pepper flakes to the oil. When the asparagus is done to your liking pull them out of the water and drain (keep the hot water), then salt and toss with the garlic.

While ask that is cooking peel some potatoes. Use the asparagus water to make mashed potatoes.

:)

rav3n

Mm that sounds good. How long do you marinate it?
Don't really time it but around 20 minutes to 1/2 hour or however long it takes me to prep the rest of the meal.

A yummy way I have been eating tofu lately is to cut it into rectangles; put it in an oven-proof dish with thin sliced onions; sprinkle salt, pepper, sage, and grated cheddar; drizzle with olive oil; and bake until the cheese bubbles/crisps a little bit.
This sounds good! Might add some grated asiago or parmesan to kick up the flavour.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm making a stew-type thing with adzuki beans, kombu and butternut squash. If it's awesome, I will post the recipe. It's super easy.

gromit

likes this
Yesterday I made one of my favorite meals recently.

Roast potatoes (and whatever else you feel like... cauliflower, onions, etc) sprinkled with olive oil and some herbs like thyme, sage, rosemary, salt and pepper, etc. I cut them small and did 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 min.

While it's roasting, chop up some garlic and cook with olive oil. Add the chopped stems from swiss chard and cook a little while. Add the leaves and some chopped tomatoes, with some more rosemary and salt and pepper. Then when it's almost done add a can of drained/rinsed white cannelloni beans and cook until they are heated.

Serve the beans and chard on top of the roasted potatoes. Very hearty, well-rounded, delicious, and good for you! It is actually vegan, but you can garnish with parmesan cheese too and that is delicious.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of my favorites is pasta in a dressing of equal amounts of balsamic vinegar and olive oil (use Spanish--Italian is too bitter for this dish). Add about 6 cloves minced/crushed raw garlic, some sea salt, and a tiny amount of fresh cracked black pepper. I roast yellow and red peppers in the oven, peel off the skin, cut them into strips, and then put them into the dressing. Sometimes I roast red onions and add them. Then I mix in the pasta. I use spaghetti because I have to use rice pasta but if you can eat wheat/gluten, try linguine. Let the flavors meet and marry for a while...30 minutes is good. Then sprinkle with roasted pine nuts. You can also grate a little parmesan over it. I prefer a red wine to drink with this.

The downside is that you will reek of garlic for days after eating this dish. But life is too short not to forgo the pleasures of this dish. There is just beauty in how these simple ingredients create such a sensory delight.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not vegetarian, but I don't consume meat other than fish & fowl, typically.

I make a pretty mean portabella mushroom burger, though. Healthier than ground beef, and, imo, just better overall.

I made this for my friend last time she visited me. Was a hit.

Ingredients:

-1 large portabella mushroom
-pinch of sea salt, black pepper, and any other spices you may like to add. I added some chili powder.
-about 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
-any other 'burger toppings/condiments'' you like (For our burgers, I used a slice of nonfat cheddar, tomato slice, onion, lettuce, & spicy guacamole [pre-made, Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie packets in most dairy cases at grocery stores])
-1 light whole wheat or 12 grain hamburger bun

Directions:
-wash the mushroom, slice off the top. Set the stalk aside for later use, if you like [I sliced mine up & put it in a salad the next day]
-brush mushroom cap lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle seasonings on both sides. Let it soak in for about a half an hour.
-sautee on a nonstick skillet on medium heat for about ten minutes, flipping occasionally, until it feels tender/much of the excess water is gone. Add cheese right before you remove from heat so it melts.
-place on a paper towel for a minute, if your cap is still a little too moist [this is rarely a problem]
-serve on burger bun w/condiments [add chips like I did for my friend, picture below. I made myself baked sweet potato fries on another occasion]
-enjoy- it's messy as hell, and I couldn't finish mine, but it was still good reheated.

bellaburger-1.jpg

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
vegan pumpkin bread.

I'm always looking for ways to cut out excess fats/sugars in baked goods [as well as add whole grain, etc], without sacrificing taste/texture. Food is fuel, right? Should be worth the calories, to the body. Anyway, my latest concoction's been successful, and happens to be vegan-friendly.

Ingredients:
*3/4 of a 15 oz can pumpkin puree
*1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
*1/4 cup water [or soy/almond/ricemilk, if you prefer]
*1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (hodgson mills is really good)
*3/4 cup sugar OR [what I use] 6 tbsp splenda sugar blend
*1 tsp vanilla
*1 tsp baking soda
*1 tsp baking powder
*1 tsp cinnamon
*1 tsp nutmeg
*1 tsp ginger
*1 tsp sea salt
*1/2 tsp cloves
*1/2 tsp allspice

*[topping]- mix 1/4 cup brown sugar OR [what I used]- 2 tbsp splenda brown sugar blend with 1/2 tsp cinnamon; set aside. You could also add almonds or pecans, etc, to this [I have none onhand, today].

Directions:

1.) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2.) In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, applesauce, sugar [or splenda blend], water, & vanilla. Mix until smooth.
3.) In a separate med. bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients with a wire whisk.
4.) Pour dry mixture into the 1st bowl. Stir until large lumps disappear. Batter will be lumpy & much thicker than typical quickbread batter. In fact it'll seem nearly doughy. Do not overmix.
5.) Spray nonstick coating on an 8x8'' baking pan. Pour mixture into pan, evening out with a spoon/spatula, if need be. It won't look all smooth & pretty, but it tends to even out more as it rises.
6.) Sprinkle brown sugar/cinnamon over the entire top of the pan. This isn't a crumb topping; it more or less adds texture to the top portion and some additional flavor/sweetness.
7.) Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick/knife comes out clean when inserted through the center.

I may post a picture later. Comes out perfect every time.

I think I've passed my domesticity quota for the year..

gromit

likes this
Had two large bags of baby carrots left over from a party last weekend. So I made yellow + red lentil soup with one of the bags (also has onions, garlic, ginger, tomato, and some spices like cumin and stuff). Pureed most of it when it was done cooking to make a nice creamy texture, a can of coconut milk too. I added the last of a bag of cashews as well, they got soft while it was cooking. Kind of a mish-mash of what I had on hand. I think it turned out well though. :)

That is using up one of the bags at least. I'm thinking of making carrot pie (?) (!) with the other bag. Roast the carrots like you do for pumpkin pie, add the egg and cream and spices.