User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Anew Leaf

I mentioned these in some other thread, so I thought I would show how to make them to those who may be interested. (@YWIR )

Kale Chips!

First, you start with kale! The one that works best looks like this:

Second, you tear it up into small bite-sizeish pieces. Kind of like this:

Add in a tablespoon or so of olive oil and toss. (Please note: you will want your kale to be super dry for this. I find it best to wash it before hand and let it kind of air dry a bit after it goes through the salad spinner. )

Third, lay out in a thin layer onto a cookie sheet:

I add fresh cracked black pepper, kosher salt, and red pepper flakes. Feel free to flavor it however you wish.

Cook in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for approximately 8-10 minutes. You can flip them a bit after about 5 minutes.

In my example, I let them go 12 minutes and that was a tick too long.

They really shrink up into nice crispy pieces.

They are a nice alternative to chips and crisps if you want to eat a bit healthier. They are probably an acquired taste...

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I mentioned these in some other thread, so I thought I would show how to make them to those who may be interested. (@YWIR )
    Thats awesome thank you. I'm back at my apartment, I will definitely give this a try today or some time this week! Appreciate it

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Thats awesome thank you. I'm back at my apartment, I will definitely give this a try today or some time this week! Appreciate it
    You're very welcome!

A bunch of kale makes about 1 large bowls worth... very nice for when snacking during movies. And it's hard to share.

MBTI
    ENTP

Made a bunch of Vegan treats today. (Vegan!)

My spin on Vegan Macaroons from another recipe somewhere out there:

Mix together:

1 tablespoon of chia seeds
    1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds
    6 tablespoons of organic coconut palm sugar
    6 tablespoons of coconut milk (I got it from a can, and just mixed it all up. So the 'cream', or 'fat' is in it too.)
    3 drops of almond extract
    Some vanilla powder, or extract

Add:

6 tablespoons of flour (I figure it could be any type, I used organic white flour, but don't often like to use white flour. Was going to use rye, or barley flour, but this was a first time recipe.)
    1 1/2 cup of unsweetened desiccated or shredded coconut

Mix it all up good, use a cookie scooper onto prepared sheet pan. Cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 175 degrees Celsius for 12 - 15 minutes. I probably cooked mine a little longer. Depends on how you like it, and the oven.

They were delicious.

Another fun one that I didn't make tonight is homemade vegan chocolate.

Melt some coconut oil, or cocoa butter (I like organic everything.)
    Add cocoa powder (raw or not, whatevs)
    Add liquid sweetener of some type. (Maple syrup, raw organic agave nectar, syrup, honey, whatever floats your boat!)

Pour concoction of chocolate into container, pop it in the freezer for 5 - 10 minutes. Voila.

MBTI
    ENTP

Also, some ingredients that all Veg-inclined should have in their kitchen. Or at least try:

Tahini (ground hulled sesame. It's used in hummus.) - I'm weird and like to drizzle it on my oatmeal. Love this stuff. Could put it on anything edible.

Hummus - It's pretty great, but I prefer...

Homemade Vegan Cheese - Normally made out of some type of neutral-tasting nut such as cashews (most common), sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, blanched almonds, etc. That being said...

Nutritional Yeast (It may sound bad, but it's nutritious, and incredible. It's kinda like.. Vegan parmesan. It's an important ingredient in Vegan cheese making. Sometimes Vitamin B12 fortified)

From Wikipedia: ''Nutritional yeast is produced by culturing a yeast in a nutrient medium for several days. The primary ingredient in the growth medium is glucose, often from either sugarcane or beet molasses. When the yeast is ready, it is killed (deactivated) with heat and then harvested, washed, dried and packaged.''

Miso Paste
    - This one's made from soybeans, sometimes rice or rice added, salt. It's fermented, so there's lots of great nutrients here, B-vitamins. Good to make soup, I've read. I tried it for the first time for my sunflower seed cheese, instead of nutritional yeast. It worked great. Will add the yeast too, though, once I pick up some more.

Oats
    , for obvious reasons

I'm out of ideas.
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Rice & Peas

You can use any type of rice you want; Long Grain/Basmati/Brown/Wild...
    Chick peas
    Black eyed peas
    Kidney beans

(You can add onions and garlic and coconut milk and stuff, if you want, but, I didn't know that before.)

1 - get rice, put into a saucepan.
    2 - pour boiling water on to your rice, I'd say 3 cups of water per 1 cup of rice for this dish, turn on heat, don't let boil over, time it to how long it takes to cook your rice. (Often found on the bag of rice.)
    3 - open canned chick peas, pour into a siv, run water to rinse off the salt, and do the same with the black eyed peas and kidney beans, and add 6 to 5 minutes before the rice is done.

Drain away the water, let it cool off and serve as a side dish or whatever.
    Goes well with Soy Sauce or Hot Sauce. - I wouldn't try this with Wasabi though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeting View Post
    Nutritional Yeast
    Yes, I sometimes put this on popcorn, with salt, olive oil, and dried dill. That is amazing. (I also like melted butter on popcorn too, but that's normal.)
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Today with my German roommate and his gf (also German) we had a delicious feast - boiled eggs, salad, potatoes, and sour cream with chives and lemon.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I say mango ceviche. Use artificial crab instead of the real deal

-2 mangoes diced
    -2 avocadoes sliced
    -1 lb artificial crab
    -1/4 onion sliced very fine
    -1/2 of a lemon worth of lemon juice
    -a smidgen of salt

Extras can be added if desired like cilantro or a bit of tomato, butI find too many different tastes can clash

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/3019
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    PING

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeting View Post
    Also, some ingredients that all Veg-inclined should have in their kitchen. Or at least try:

Homemade Vegan Cheese - Normally made out of some type of neutral-tasting nut such as cashews (most common), sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, blanched almonds, etc. That being said...
    Ohhhhh, do you make the homemade Vegan Cheese from nuts? If so can you please share your recipie/method?? I'm dy-ing to get my hands on some and where I live they don't sell it in the health food stores

If anyone could post any recipies on this I would love you forever