• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vegetarian Recipes

gromit

likes this
Lentil Mushroom Stroganoff

This recipe is so delicious and so filling.

2 cups cooked lentils
1 tbsp olive oil or butter
1 lg onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
8 oz mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 1/2 tbsp paprika
salt and pepper
small handful of parsley (or chives), chopped
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup sour cream

Cook onions until almost glassy in the olive oil or butter; add garlic, mushrooms, paprika, vinegar. Sautée until mushrooms are tender. Add sour creamand S&P to taste. Sprinkle fresh herbs on top. I eat it with brown rice, although egg noodles are prob more traditional.

And I'd have it with a side salad, for veggies :D

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Simple salad: Slices of tomato, mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves with a mixture of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Raw cookie dough: 1 cup almond meal, a little less than 1 cup oats ground up, 3-4 tbsp maple syrup or honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, chocolate chips. Mix and form into bite sized balls, put in the fridge for an hour to harden up, and you can keep them out on the counter.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
We aren't vegetarians or vegans but we have a lot of meatless meals. Especially in the summer, it's so easy.

I'm sure you could do gluten free pasta and veg. cheese.
Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables
Serves 6,

Ingredients

2 red bell peppers, cored and cut into 1-inch wide strips
2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 tbsp herbs de Provence
1 lb penne
3 cups good marinara sauce
1 cup grated fontina cheese
1/2 cup grated smoked mozzarella
1/4 cup grated parmesan plus more for topping

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 450.
On a baking sheet, toss the peppers, zucchini, summer squash, and onions with olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and herbs de Provence. Roast until tender, about 20-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta for about 6 minutes. They should still be hard! Drain.
In a large bowl, toss the drained pasta with the roasted veggies, marinara sauce, fontina, smoked mozzarella, 1/4 cup grated parmesan, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Gently mix until the pasta is coated with sauce and the ingredients are combined.
Pour the pasta into a 9×13-inch pan. Top with some extra parmesan. Bake until the top is golden and the cheese melts.

Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce

Spring Rolls

spring roll wrappers
leaf lettuce, torn
spicy peanut sauce {recipe below}
vermicelli {rice} noodles, cooked
rice wine vinegar
carrots, shredded
cilantro, torn
mint {regular or chocolate}, torn
basil {regular or thai}, torn
napa cabbage, chopped

To assemble the spring rolls, soak a wrapper in warm water until pliable.
Place the lettuce on the bottom and top with about 1 tablespoon of sauce, add some noodles, carrots, herbs and the cabbage and wrap up as if you were wrapping a burrito.
Cut in half on the diagonal and serve when ready.

Spicy Peanut Sauce:

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
2 garlic clove, chopped
4 tablespoons red pepper flakes*
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoon peanut butter
2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
2 teaspoon tomato paste or ketchup
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

In a pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil and cook the onions, garlic and red pepper flakes.
Add the remaining ingredients and combine. Cook for about 5-6 minutes.

Potato Frittata

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red-skinned potato (6 ounces), well scrubbed, halved, and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
8 large eggs
1 1/4 cups plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 2 tomatoes)
1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (2 ounces)
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice

Directions

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 10-inch broiler-proof skillet over medium-low heat. Add potato, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and all but 1 tablespoon of the scallions; season with salt and pepper and cook 1 minute.

In a large bowl, beat eggs until well combined. Add 1/4 cup each tomato and cheese; stir to combine. Add remaining oil to pan, and pour egg mixture over the potatoes.

Preheat broiler with rack 4 inches from the heat. Meanwhile, cook eggs on the stovetop, lifting the edges to allow uncooked egg to flow underneath, until the center is almost set, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over the top, then broil in the oven until set, about 2 minutes.

In a small bowl, make a salsa by combining the remaining tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, and lime juice. Run a metal spatula around the edges of the pan and slide the omelette onto a platter. Serve cut into wedges with salsa.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
We have this a couple times a month and it's awesome. I like to make it for guests. My mother-in-law taught me how to cook this- she's been a vegetarian since the 70s. She says it comes from a book called The Vegetarian Epicure.

German Apple Pancake (also called a Dutch baby)

Pancake:

3 large eggs
3/4 c milk
3/4 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
11/2 Tbs butter (I often use coconut oil instead since it has a higher smoke point)
1/2 cup thin-sliced apples

Filling/topping:

1 lb tart, fresh apples
1/2 c melted butter
1/2 c sugar
cinnamon and nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Beat together the eggs, milk, flour and salt until very smooth. Add some sliced apples if you want them inside the pancake (I always do). In a skillet on medium heat, melt the 11/2 T butter or coconut oil. Swirl it in the pan so it coats the bottom and sides. Pour in the batter and put into oven. After 15 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 10 minutes. During the first 10 or 15 minutes of baking, the pancake might puff up in large bubbles. If it does, pierce it with a fork.

While the pancake is baking, prepare the apple filling. Peel and thinly slice the pound of apples. Sauté them in the melted butter and sugar. season to taste with the cinnamon and nutmeg. The apples should be just slightly tender-not mushy.

When the pancake is ready, slide it onto a platter, pour about half the apple filling apples over one side and then fold the other side over. Pour the rest of the filling on top. Slice and serve.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
We have this a couple times a month and it's awesome.

I love these. The apple is very good but blueberry lemon, when the blueberries are in season, is my favorite.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I love these. The apple is very good but blueberry lemon, when the blueberries are in season, is my favorite.

That sounds awesome! I've done it with pears but never blueberries.

gromit

likes this
Oh I've only ever had it with apples (or something similar). Gotta try the pears and the blueberry lemon!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
When I was canning spiced peaches last summer, I had a bit left over so I simmered it with a little cornstarch and used that on one of the dutch babies. It was really good and I think I will try grilled peaches sometime. You can do the dutch baby on the grill too.

yeghor

Also this is tasty but I end up eating them all up like appetizers...

Turkish Zucchini Fritters (Mücver)

Zucchini seems to be only an excuse to make these delicious fresh-herbs-loaded fritters that can be served hot or cold, as a snack, a starter or a meal in itself. There is no carrot in the original recipe, but I like to add a bit of orange color to the otherwise green mixture.

Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 20 Min
Total Time: 40 Min

Serves: 6

Ingredients

1 medium zucchini, grated
2 pinches fine sea salt
1 medium carrots finely grated (optional)
1/4 cup spring onions (white and green parts), finely chopped
1/4 cup dill finely chopped including stalks
1/4 cup parsley finely chopped including stalks
2 tbsp mint finely chopped including stalks
200 gram (7 oz) feta cheese crumbled
2 tbsp plain thick yogurt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 egg
1/2 cup all-purpose flour sifted
1 tbsp baking powder
sunflower oil for shallow-frying

Pinker85

Kitcheree

A wonderful dish for when you are feeling unwell. Sorry the measurements aren't spot on. Adjust beans and basmati rice per taste. I am Pitta constitution and prefer this ratio.

Whole mung beans which have been soaked 8-12 hours (I typically use 3-4 handfuls)
2 handfuls of white basmati rice
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (good blood purifier and liver tonic)
1 tsp cumin seeds (good for agni, balances all three constitutions ... can be too stimulating for pitta if over consumed)
1 tsp coriander seeds (good for agni, balances all three constitutions ... slightly cooling)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon or small amount of whole cinnamon bark (warming, would not suggest if you have rash or heartburn)
1/2 tsp fennel seeds (cooling, I like using cinnamon and fennel together as I think they are balancing)
1/4 pod of black cardamom (stimulates agni (digestive fire) use with caution if having acid reflux/acidic stomach)
1 inch piece of ginger slivered up (avoid if having angry or irritable moods)
1/2 of a medium onion diced up
2-3 cups of chopped up vegetables (I like sweet potato and zucchini especially, this is a good combination for fall/winter pitta or vata dosha that needs grounding, may not be suitable for kapha)
Coconut oil or ghee to taste (I use 1 tbsp)
Fresh ground pepper, I go sparingly
Good handful of chopped cilantro
Real salt to taste
Yogurt for topping

Heat oil in pan until just smoking. Add the cumin, coriander, fennel seeds cook until coriander begins to pop open. Add onions and ginger, saute 1-2 minutes longer. Add rice and stir, coating rice in fragrant oil and spices. Add water (I'd go with 2-3x volume water per mung bean/rice, I sometimes go 4x volume as I like mine a tad slurpy) add mung beans and rest of ingredients except cilantro and yogurt. Bring to a slight boil, reduce heat to med-low and let simmer, stirring every few minutes. About 15 minutes in add in the vegetables. Cook together until vegetables are to the doneness you prefer. Add cilantro just before eating and dollop healthy scoop of yogurt.

IMAG0239_zps40c4c07a.jpg

Date and almond milk

This is delicious as a warm breakfast drink. It is excellent for building ojas (the subtle force that helps emotional stability and concentration) and alleviating post partum depression. Encourages juiciness or that slight bit of fat under the skin that gives one a youthful and glowy appearance. Good if you have gaunt face.

soak 2-3 large pitted dates overnight with 1 tsp fennel seeds in 1 cup water
soak 12-15 almonds overnight to 24 hours
1/4 of a black cardamom pod
1 tsp rose water (especially useful if the depression is accompanied by angst or anger)

Heat a small pan with water. Once water is boiling, blanch almonds for 15 seconds in the boiling water and remove. While almonds are still warm, remove the skins by rubbing an almond between thumb and index finger. They should slip out easily. In a blender empty dates, water, and fennel seed. Add 1 cup of the almond water, cardamom, rose water, and almonds to this. Blend until smoothie consistency.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Pasta with Vegetarian Chili

I've been making this recipe for years. It's very easy, it's not expensive, it's a tasty variation on pasta and tomato sauce, and it's a good source of protein, fiber, and iron.

1 lb dry pasta
¼ cup canola (rapeseed) oil
1 large onion, diced
1 lb dark red kidney beans
1 lb light red kidney beans
1 lb diced tomato, with juice
1 cup ground beef substitute (optional)
hot sauce to taste (optional)

Cook pasta according to directions. Heat oil on medium and add onion when the oil is ready. Stir to coat and cook 1-2 minutes, then add meat substitute, stirring to break it up. Reduce heat to medium-low, cook 3-4 minutes and add the beans. Cook another minute or two, then add tomato juice and hot sauce. Stir, reduce heat to low, give it another minute, and toss with the cooked pasta. Serve by itself, or with a healthy side (grilled asparagus, green salad) and a hearty bread.

---

This probably costs about $5-6 US, but it makes a lot of food, so serve it in a group or plan on leftovers. If you have leftovers, I recommend rehydrating the dish with a little more tomato juice before serving, as it can dry out overnight.

This is a flexible recipe, so substitutions are easy.

Pasta: I like this dish with bite-sized noodles, so I use elbow macaroni. You can make it with rice instead of pasta, but you're missing out.
Oil: Olive or vegetable oil works too. I don't actually measure, but you'll want 2-6 tbsp.
Onion: One large or two medium. Don't skimp here.
Beans: I use 15.5 oz cans.
Tomato: You can use canned tomato (1 lb, diced, with juice), fresh tomato (1 big or 2 medium), or even a tomato-based vegetable juice (like V8). Go easy if you choose the juice; too much and that flavor will dominate. If the dish seems dry at any point, add more tomato.
"Beef": I use half a package of Lightlife Smart Ground or Tofurky Chorizo Style. This ingredient is optional, but it's tastier with.
Heat: I add bottled hot sauce, but you can easily substitute red pepper flakes, cayenne, chili powder, etc. Best: add a couple of fresh hot peppers with the beef substitute.
Optional: For a little color, dice half a green pepper and add it right after the onion.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a really easy and really good one pot wonder that helps me satisfy my butternut squash obsession.

Butternut squash and bean "risotto"

1 cup arborio rice
2 cups diced butternut squash (you can use pumpkin too)
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup pinto beans (I use the canned kind 'cause it's easy but if you want the regular dried ones, you'd have to precook them)
I cup broccoli
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil
1 pinch herbes de Provence (or any other spice you like, I guess, nutmeg would be good, so would curry powder, I think, I just really like herbes de Provence)
Parmesan cheese (garnish)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Coat a saucepan with olive oil and saute the onions and garlic until golden/translucent.
Add the butternut squash and cook for a couple more minutes.
Stir in the rice and broth and bring to a boil.
Turn the heat down to low, add the beans, broccoli and spice mix and simmer for about half an hour, stirring occasionally.
Garnish liberally with cheese and parsley and eat.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've gotta say, skinnytaste has a TON of vegan/vegetarian recipes that are great. They have a skinny eggnog (but I just buy So Delicious 'nog'.. it tastes the same, with a hint of coconut milk so its super creamy lovely goodness) on the site, but what I wanted to highlight was the flourless brownies.

I swear if you google search amazing flourless brownies from that site you'll see them. They taste amazing, I use a fig balsamic vinegar in the recipe, and it kills almost all of the bean flavor in it. All nephews and nieces have approved the recipe, even with dark chocolate chips being used. They watch me make it, and they're still cool with it because they get to help blend the ingredients together.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Extremely delicious, nutritious, light simple soup:

2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or dry prepared equivalent)

2 cups vegetable stock ( I actually prefer a whole cube of Not Chkn bouillon prepared with two cups water)

4 cups water

1 lb kale, rinsed and torn or chopped

1 small onion or half a large onion, diced

Enough olive oil to Sautee the onion

Sea salt and black pepper

In a large soup pot, sautee onion in olive oil until translucent. Mash one can (or half dry prepared) of beans until consistency of mashed potatoes. Add water, stock, and the mashed beans to onions and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add remaining beans fully whole, kale, and salt/pepper. Simmer on medium low for at least twenty minutes (can stew longer on lower heat). If necessary add additional salt or pepper to taste when serving.