User Tag List

First 34567 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Carrots.

Pan-fried Tofu

Marinade tofu that's been sliced into preferred shapes, possibly 2"x1" and 1/3" deep rectangle with light soy sauce, sherry, minced garlic and ginger, finely chopped shallots, and a dash of sugar. Heat olive oil to high and lay pieces flat. Turn only once. Lift/drain and bon appetit!

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Pan-fried Tofu

Marinade tofu that's been sliced into preferred shapes, possibly 2"x1" and 1/3" deep rectangle with light soy sauce, sherry, minced garlic and ginger, finely chopped shallots, and a dash of sugar. Heat olive oil to high and lay pieces flat. Turn only once. Lift/drain and bon appetit!
    this sounds really good, I love tofu especially fried tofu
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    this sounds really good, I love tofu especially fried tofu
    It's sooooo easy and delicious. Try it.

MBTI
    yupp

It's sooooo easy and delicious. Try it.
    plan to
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Carrots.

Yay, i can open my eyes on typec again....hurrah!
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Here's one of my favorite things in the world lately - I use butter, but I think it would be good with olive oil too.

Sauteed Greens with Butter and Garlic
    • Smash/finely chop garlic (I use tons at least 3 cloves, maybe 5-6 for a bunch of kale from the grocer).
    • Tear or chop the greens, rinse them.
    • Cook garlic in butter (1-2 tablespoons) with some salt and pepper and red pepper (I cook it in a big cast iron skillet, stirring to keep it from burning).
    • When it has cooked awhile but before it's crispy, add the greens to the pan - if they still have a little water from rinsing, that's good, otherwise you might need to add a tiny bit of water.
    • Stir a couple times so they cook evenly.
    • Add more salt/pepper to taste.

This works with all types of greens. If you want to mix and match, I'd say add them in the following order (based on how long it takes to cook):

Collard green stems/cabbage
    Kale/Swiss chard stems/collard green leaves
    Swiss or rainbow chard
    Spinach

It's not a balanced meal, but I sometimes wish it were. I just want to eat like the entire skillet full sometimes. If you want to be fancy add a little cooking sherry or wine. Soy sauce can go well also. And you can replace sliced onions or shallots instead of garlic. But the garlic way is definitely my favorite.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

OMG I have the beeessssssssssstttt recipe for stuffed pumpkin/squash that's totally vegan and totally amazing. I made it for my brother and his gf and they seemed to really enjoy it. It's quite hearty, has nuts and a bunch of grains and I think lentils and autumn flavors. It's a little bit extensive, so I will have to find time to transcribe it here.

Pan-fried Tofu

Mm that sounds good. How long do you marinate it?

A yummy way I have been eating tofu lately is to cut it into rectangles; put it in an oven-proof dish with thin sliced onions; sprinkle salt, pepper, sage, and grated cheddar; drizzle with olive oil; and bake until the cheese bubbles/crisps a little bit.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Pumpkin and Lentil Soup

~8 c cooked, mashed pumpkin
    2 c red lentils
    2 c vegetable stock (chicken stock OK too, but not true vegetarian)
    4-6 carrots, peeled and diced
    2-3 stalks of celery, diced (including leaves)
    2-3 onions, diced
    several cloves of garlic, crushed or grated
    1-2 oz fresh ginger, grated
    1 tbsp curry powder
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp ground cumin
    ground cayenne pepper to taste

Saute ginger and garlic in olive oil. Add onions and spices and cook until onions are mostly cooked and ginger/garlic is browning. Add lentils, saute briefly. Add carrots and celery, saute briefly. Add stock plus several cups water. Simmer until vegetables are mostly cooked. Add pumpkin and more water if needed, and cook until vegetables are completely cooked. (Can add pumpkin with carrots and celery instead; doesn't seem to make much difference.) Remove half the mixture and puree it in a blender or food processer, then return to the pot and mix thoroughly. This results in a thick stock, but still leaves bits of veggies to chew on. Serve with salad and good bread.

I synthesized this from several recipes I found while looking for a pumpkin recipe that does not involve heavy cream. I like to cook and eat my Halloween pumpkins, but there is only so much pumpkin bread one needs. This combination is surprisingly good, and I can make it all winter long using frozen steamed pumpkin. It makes a large batch, so plan to feed your friends, have leftovers, eat it for lunches, etc. or scale down as needed.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP

Not really a recipe but here is what I made tonight.

Parboil some asparagus in a bit too much water. Meanwhile mince some garlic and fry in olive oil until it's golden and crispy. Remove from heat and mix in some red pepper flakes to the oil. When the asparagus is done to your liking pull them out of the water and drain (keep the hot water), then salt and toss with the garlic.

While ask that is cooking peel some potatoes. Use the asparagus water to make mashed potatoes.