User Tag List

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Recipes

Senior Member Array

Gromit, don't forget good ol' fashioned spinach dip or seven layer bean dip.

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Gromit, don't forget good ol' fashioned spinach dip or seven layer bean dip.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

When I was canning spiced peaches last summer, I had a bit left over so I simmered it with a little cornstarch and used that on one of the dutch babies. It was really good and I think I will try grilled peaches sometime. You can do the dutch baby on the grill too.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

A very simple food... tastes better when scraped off the pan with bread, lots of it...

Also this is tasty but I end up eating them all up like appetizers...

Turkish Zucchini Fritters (Mücver)

Zucchini seems to be only an excuse to make these delicious fresh-herbs-loaded fritters that can be served hot or cold, as a snack, a starter or a meal in itself. There is no carrot in the original recipe, but I like to add a bit of orange color to the otherwise green mixture.

Prep Time: 20 Min
    Cook Time: 20 Min
    Total Time: 40 Min

Serves: 6

1 medium zucchini, grated
    2 pinches fine sea salt
    1 medium carrots finely grated (optional)
    1/4 cup spring onions (white and green parts), finely chopped
    1/4 cup dill finely chopped including stalks
    1/4 cup parsley finely chopped including stalks
    2 tbsp mint finely chopped including stalks
    200 gram (7 oz) feta cheese crumbled
    2 tbsp plain thick yogurt
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1 egg
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour sifted
    1 tbsp baking powder
    sunflower oil for shallow-frying

A wonderful dish for when you are feeling unwell. Sorry the measurements aren't spot on. Adjust beans and basmati rice per taste. I am Pitta constitution and prefer this ratio.

Whole mung beans which have been soaked 8-12 hours (I typically use 3-4 handfuls)
    2 handfuls of white basmati rice
    1/2 tsp turmeric powder (good blood purifier and liver tonic)
    1 tsp cumin seeds (good for agni, balances all three constitutions ... can be too stimulating for pitta if over consumed)
    1 tsp coriander seeds (good for agni, balances all three constitutions ... slightly cooling)
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon or small amount of whole cinnamon bark (warming, would not suggest if you have rash or heartburn)
    1/2 tsp fennel seeds (cooling, I like using cinnamon and fennel together as I think they are balancing)
    1/4 pod of black cardamom (stimulates agni (digestive fire) use with caution if having acid reflux/acidic stomach)
    1 inch piece of ginger slivered up (avoid if having angry or irritable moods)
    1/2 of a medium onion diced up
    2-3 cups of chopped up vegetables (I like sweet potato and zucchini especially, this is a good combination for fall/winter pitta or vata dosha that needs grounding, may not be suitable for kapha)
    Coconut oil or ghee to taste (I use 1 tbsp)
    Fresh ground pepper, I go sparingly
    Good handful of chopped cilantro
    Real salt to taste
    Yogurt for topping

Heat oil in pan until just smoking. Add the cumin, coriander, fennel seeds cook until coriander begins to pop open. Add onions and ginger, saute 1-2 minutes longer. Add rice and stir, coating rice in fragrant oil and spices. Add water (I'd go with 2-3x volume water per mung bean/rice, I sometimes go 4x volume as I like mine a tad slurpy) add mung beans and rest of ingredients except cilantro and yogurt. Bring to a slight boil, reduce heat to med-low and let simmer, stirring every few minutes. About 15 minutes in add in the vegetables. Cook together until vegetables are to the doneness you prefer. Add cilantro just before eating and dollop healthy scoop of yogurt.

Date and almond milk

This is delicious as a warm breakfast drink. It is excellent for building ojas (the subtle force that helps emotional stability and concentration) and alleviating post partum depression. Encourages juiciness or that slight bit of fat under the skin that gives one a youthful and glowy appearance. Good if you have gaunt face.

soak 2-3 large pitted dates overnight with 1 tsp fennel seeds in 1 cup water
    soak 12-15 almonds overnight to 24 hours
    1/4 of a black cardamom pod
    1 tsp rose water (especially useful if the depression is accompanied by angst or anger)

Heat a small pan with water. Once water is boiling, blanch almonds for 15 seconds in the boiling water and remove. While almonds are still warm, remove the skins by rubbing an almond between thumb and index finger. They should slip out easily. In a blender empty dates, water, and fennel seed. Add 1 cup of the almond water, cardamom, rose water, and almonds to this. Blend until smoothie consistency.
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

Senior Member Array burymecloser's Avatar

Pasta with Vegetarian Chili

I've been making this recipe for years. It's very easy, it's not expensive, it's a tasty variation on pasta and tomato sauce, and it's a good source of protein, fiber, and iron.

1 lb dry pasta
    ¼ cup canola (rapeseed) oil
    1 large onion, diced
    1 lb dark red kidney beans
    1 lb light red kidney beans
    1 lb diced tomato, with juice
    1 cup ground beef substitute (optional)
    hot sauce to taste (optional)

Cook pasta according to directions. Heat oil on medium and add onion when the oil is ready. Stir to coat and cook 1-2 minutes, then add meat substitute, stirring to break it up. Reduce heat to medium-low, cook 3-4 minutes and add the beans. Cook another minute or two, then add tomato juice and hot sauce. Stir, reduce heat to low, give it another minute, and toss with the cooked pasta. Serve by itself, or with a healthy side (grilled asparagus, green salad) and a hearty bread.

This probably costs about $5-6 US, but it makes a lot of food, so serve it in a group or plan on leftovers. If you have leftovers, I recommend rehydrating the dish with a little more tomato juice before serving, as it can dry out overnight.

This is a flexible recipe, so substitutions are easy.

Pasta: I like this dish with bite-sized noodles, so I use elbow macaroni. You can make it with rice instead of pasta, but you're missing out.
    Oil: Olive or vegetable oil works too. I don't actually measure, but you'll want 2-6 tbsp.
    Onion: One large or two medium. Don't skimp here.
    Beans: I use 15.5 oz cans.
    Tomato: You can use canned tomato (1 lb, diced, with juice), fresh tomato (1 big or 2 medium), or even a tomato-based vegetable juice (like V8). Go easy if you choose the juice; too much and that flavor will dominate. If the dish seems dry at any point, add more tomato.
    "Beef": I use half a package of Lightlife Smart Ground or Tofurky Chorizo Style. This ingredient is optional, but it's tastier with.
    Heat: I add bottled hot sauce, but you can easily substitute red pepper flakes, cayenne, chili powder, etc. Best: add a couple of fresh hot peppers with the beef substitute.
    Optional: For a little color, dice half a green pepper and add it right after the onion.

Human Grumpy Cat Array senza tema's Avatar
    4w5 sx/sp

This is a really easy and really good one pot wonder that helps me satisfy my butternut squash obsession.

Butternut squash and bean "risotto"

1 cup arborio rice
    2 cups diced butternut squash (you can use pumpkin too)
    4 cups vegetable broth
    1/2 cup pinto beans (I use the canned kind 'cause it's easy but if you want the regular dried ones, you'd have to precook them)
    I cup broccoli
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    Olive oil
    1 pinch herbes de Provence (or any other spice you like, I guess, nutmeg would be good, so would curry powder, I think, I just really like herbes de Provence)
    Parmesan cheese (garnish)
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Coat a saucepan with olive oil and saute the onions and garlic until golden/translucent.
    Add the butternut squash and cook for a couple more minutes.
    Stir in the rice and broth and bring to a boil.
    Turn the heat down to low, add the beans, broccoli and spice mix and simmer for about half an hour, stirring occasionally.
    Garnish liberally with cheese and parsley and eat.
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

I've gotta say, skinnytaste has a TON of vegan/vegetarian recipes that are great. They have a skinny eggnog (but I just buy So Delicious 'nog'.. it tastes the same, with a hint of coconut milk so its super creamy lovely goodness) on the site, but what I wanted to highlight was the flourless brownies.

I swear if you google search amazing flourless brownies from that site you'll see them. They taste amazing, I use a fig balsamic vinegar in the recipe, and it kills almost all of the bean flavor in it. All nephews and nieces have approved the recipe, even with dark chocolate chips being used. They watch me make it, and they're still cool with it because they get to help blend the ingredients together.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes senza tema, Thalassa liked this post

6w7 sx
    SEE Fi

Extremely delicious, nutritious, light simple soup:

2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or dry prepared equivalent)

2 cups vegetable stock ( I actually prefer a whole cube of Not Chkn bouillon prepared with two cups water)

4 cups water

1 lb kale, rinsed and torn or chopped

1 small onion or half a large onion, diced

Enough olive oil to Sautee the onion

Sea salt and black pepper

In a large soup pot, sautee onion in olive oil until translucent. Mash one can (or half dry prepared) of beans until consistency of mashed potatoes. Add water, stock, and the mashed beans to onions and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add remaining beans fully whole, kale, and salt/pepper. Simmer on medium low for at least twenty minutes (can stew longer on lower heat). If necessary add additional salt or pepper to taste when serving.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

SEE-Fi /Gamma