• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Holiday Food

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
whatever's thread (http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/health-fitness/2926-christmas-cookies.html) made me start thinking about Christmas cooking.

I thought it would be nice to have a place for everyone to share favourite holiday recipes. I know we already have a recipe thread, but it's pretty general.

I for one am going to be baking a whole lot of cookies in the next little while...I've bought ingredients for chocolate chip, oatmeal, gingerbread, shortbread, sugar cookies, or any combination of these, so I'm well-equipped for whatever mood strikes me.

Here's a recipe for some chocolate-chip cookies that I made the other day, which my roommates absolutely loved, although I think they could be improved somehow...maybe by adding nuts, or using less flour. (Ok, chocolate-chip cookies are maybe not all that Christmas-y, but they are delicious).

2.5 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter at room temp or warmed a bit
1/2 cup shortening (I substituted butter though, since that was what I had)
1.5 cups tightly packed brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 pkg chocolate chips (350g? 12 oz? ish)
2 large eggs
1 cup chopped nuts (optional-I left them out)

Preheat oven to 375F

1. Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, beat butter and shortening until mixed.
3. Add sugar and vanilla and beat with a mixer on medium speed until well blended. (I just used a wooden spoon)
4. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well.
5. Add flour mixture gradually, beat slowly at first, then blend well.
6. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
7. Drop batter in 1 or 2-tablespoon portions about 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
8. Bake at 375 until edges of cookies are light brown, about 10 minutes but definitely depends on size of cookies, so watch the first batch.

Makes a whole bunch of cookies if you make them fairly small, maybe 3-4 dozen, but it'd probably be more like 2 dozen if you like them larger.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I love baking Christmas cookies. I do it every year and give them out as gifts. This year I'm making:

Peanut crisps with chocolate chips
Dark chocolate-sour cherry cookies
Spritz
Chewy sugar cookies
Snickerdoodles
Chocolate-chile pepper cookies

I'll have to drag out my recipe for that last one, it's the most unusual.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why not just buy a bucket of Xmas cookies at the store?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Growing up my favorite thing about the holidays was baking and decorating christmas cookies. We have so many cookie cutters in the basement. I don't really have any special recipes they were just sugar cookies, and I don't know what recipe my mom used.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Please vicariously enjoy my handiwork.

cookies3yn3.jpg

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^ You made those???

Now you make me hungry.

Or rather, cravy. Because when you suddenly want sweets, I consider that a craving rather than feeling hunger.

Those look GOOD.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because baking is a creative outlet for me, and I enjoy giving handmade gifts.

Pretty much everything is handmade, because it all starts with the press of a button! ;)

Anyway, I'd much rather things be machine made. I'd rather have a hint of metal flavor than the flavor of a hand that I don't know who it belongs to or where it's been...

MBTI Type
INTJ
Pretty much everything is handmade, because it all starts with the press of a button! ;)

Anyway, I'd much rather things be machine made. I'd rather have a hint of metal flavor than the flavor of a hand that I don't know who it belongs to or where it's been...

Sadly, people are safe with me. My hands haven't been anywhere interesting lately :devil:

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

If I had my way I would capture you from your natural habitat and force you to work as my cookie-baking slave in an underground kitchen in my basement.

I would get to eat a bowl of that stuff every day.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Please vicariously enjoy my handiwork.

cookies3yn3.jpg

From one baker to another, very impressive, FM.

I've been baking Christmas goodies since mid November. It's fun and when you give a basket of homemade goods the appreciation is amazing.

MBTI Type
INTJ
From one baker to another, very impressive, FM.

I've been baking Christmas goodies since mid November. It's fun and when you give a basket of homemade goods the appreciation is amazing.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, the appreciation is kind of addicting. As are the kind compliments here :)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I shall have two vegetarians at my Christmas table, so I'm doing this on top of the other stuff...

O

Oberon

We're having guests over for dinner. We don't have a ton of stuff in the house, but we do have a gallon of milk we need to use up and we ran across a pound of good bacon in the freezer, so my wife is going to make a big pot of potato soup... an excuse for fat, salt, and starch, all flavored with bacon.

As the weather here has just turned off cold, it'll be welcome comfort food.