User Tag List

123 Last

Default Living On A Boat

Has anyone else thought about living on a boat and sailing around the world? You could eat everything you fish up. You wouldn't need much money, except for clothes and stuff like that.

I'm serious. Life is really shit. People spend all their time working up the social ladder so they can spend their 'free time trying to unwind'. I know I'm a bit of a loon, but is this really such a bad idea?

Not necessarily. You definitely need to know what you're doing and how to handle a boat, if you don't already. It is really hard work.

Weather can be somewhat unpredictable. But if you watch it and heed it, it's fine.

With eating all the fish you want, some are poisonous, some need to be bled in order to be tasty, and some, you just really don't want to eat at all. Although, I'd assume soy sauce could mask many unpleasant flavors.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    XXFP

When I first saw the title, I thought you were referring to a house boat, not so much on the sailing around the world part.

I live in Maryland. There are lots of people on the eastern shore who live in house boats. You buy (own) the boat, then pay the dock fee (at special 'house boat communities'). You basically sail up to the dock, and your "rent" is low cost - cost includes your 'parking spot' (and perhaps a terra firma car parking spot as well), and the hook up for electricity, cable, internet, etc.

You're free to sail around wherever you want, or if you don't like you neighbors, you move to another spot.

Past the initial cost of the boat, it's rather inexpensive.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    Not necessarily. You definitely need to know what you're doing and how to handle a boat, if you don't already. It is really hard work.

Weather can be somewhat unpredictable. But if you watch it and heed it, it's fine.

With eating all the fish you want, some are poisonous, some need to be bled in order to be tasty, and some, you just really don't want to eat at all. Although, I'd assume soy sauce could mask many unpleasant flavors.
    Ah, yes! Of course some knowledge is required beforehand, but that can all be researched and learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    When I first saw the title, I thought you were referring to a house boat, not so much on the sailing around the world part.

I live in Maryland. There are lots of people on the eastern shore who live in house boats. You buy (own) the boat, then pay the dock fee (at special 'house boat communities'). You basically sail up to the dock, and your "rent" is low cost - cost includes your 'parking spot' (and perhaps a terra firma car parking spot as well), and the hook up for electricity, cable, internet, etc.

You're free to sail around wherever you want, or if you don't like you neighbors, you move to another spot.

That's pretty cool, but aren't house boats a bit expensive? I remember reading a book that talked about all the different types of house boats around the world; they were pretty expensive. I remember reading about one though that was really interesting. It was in Amsterdam and is used just for stray cats. Do you think these places would allow a boat that isn't a house boat to dock?

MBTI
    XXFP

MBTI
    XXFP

New And Used Houseboats For Sale In Maryland On BoatTrader.com

A variety of options.

The house boats, which are really more like boats than houses, should not be confused with the new "house barges" - which are essentially residential homes built to float. They go very slowly. They are not meant to actually be taken anywhere, just for avoiding property taxes really.

But the more boat like house boats, I suppose, they might be legit in Amsterdam.

Some marinas allow or disallow "live-ins."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I absolutely hate boats. And am irrationally scared of submarines. It'd probably be a phobia but I've never been on one to test just how bad it really would be. I cringe from seeing people on them though even on tv however.

That being said however... I still like this song.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=ED944 1CFC963F147"]I'm on a boat![/YOUTUBE]

Warning: inappropriate content, and muchly swearing.

^ Lol. Sometimes I wonder if these rappers ever realize how silly they are when sometimes does a parody like this. Although I guess it doesn't matter much because they have tons of money.

That's a good deal. I bet it could be fixed up pretty easily and have the engine replaced.

MBTI
    STUF

Your best bet is getting to know some marinas in your area, they often have boats they are looking to toss for free or next to it because the renters aren't paying fees. They usually need some work from sitting a while, obviously, but it's a good place to start.
    Whoops.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Has anyone else thought about living on a boat and sailing around the world? You could eat everything you fish up. You wouldn't need much money, except for clothes and stuff like that.

I'm serious. Life is really shit. People spend all their time working up the social ladder so they can spend their 'free time trying to unwind'. I know I'm a bit of a loon, but is this really such a bad idea?
    I think it's a great idea. I toy with similar ideas all the time. However, living on a boat wouldn't be on the top of my list because I have close to zero experience with boats, so doing it all on my own would be out of the question. I would consider it if I had some really close and trustworthy friends to sail with, though. Ahh...sweet freedom.

What about maintenance? Unless you can afford to buy a shiny new ship, being mechanically savvy either yourself or relying on one of your friends who sail along with you seems to be a prerequisite. And things that move tend to break and they need money to get fixed. Lots of it, if the boat is one step away from a scrapyard. And once something gets fixed, something else will break. All the time.