User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Has anyone else thought about living on a boat and sailing around the world? You could eat everything you fish up. You wouldn't need much money, except for clothes and stuff like that.

I'm serious. Life is really shit. People spend all their time working up the social ladder so they can spend their 'free time trying to unwind'. I know I'm a bit of a loon, but is this really such a bad idea?
    A boat is a hole in the water in which you pour money.

And if that weren't bad enough the sea is constantly moving. It is as though the earth were constantly quaking.

And if the greatest luxury is space, a boat represents the utmost poverty.

A boat offers the dream of freedom, but is only a rich man's toy.

It's called the cruel sea.
    Last edited by Mole; 03-01-2010 at 11:45 PM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

What are the two happiest days in any boat owners life?

1. the day they buy their boat
    2. the day they sell their boat
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it would sound appealing if I didn't have to worry about keeping a constant supply of dramamine
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    STUF

There is a large difference between owning a boat and living on a boat. You'd say a home was a money sink as well if you were only in it several weeks out of the year.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^ and look at your avatar! haha love it!

i think it's a fantastic idea...maybe not for forever but you should do it for a bit...sounds fun!

actually at some point i totally have to move to the pnw and get a floating home...so cool!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

I thought of living on a boat when Miami Vice was big, but it wasn't really me. It sounds cool, like a lot of fun. I don't know how much better than land life it would be though. Life has a funny way of being the same whatever you do.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6?

I'd definitely like to do this in the Carribbean one day, and perhaps Indonesia and the South Pacific. I have met people that do this. Some have made their wealth in the dot com boom or other means and are on permanent vacation in fancy yachts, mooring at expensive yacht clubs. Some have lost most of their teeth, are on crack, and don't have much of a choice anymore (living on a boat is really the cheapest way to live in Hawaii, short of being homeless on a street somewhere). It looks like a tough life for the "budget traveler". You need to know how to sail, navigate, and be willing to tough it out in rough seas....over the open ocean, the weather can get BAD. I wouldn't want to do it alone, or with anyone that I'd have to save one day. Maintaining a boat can be pricey. People say that they are money pits, and they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    aren't house boats a bit expensive? I remember reading a book that talked about all the different types of house boats around the world; they were pretty expensive.
    An ENTP I work with lives on a fairly small boat he sails on weekends; costs roughly $3000/month although he tells me if he wants to defer maintenance and not go anywhere he can get costs down to under half of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    An ENTP I work with lives on a fairly small boat he sails on weekends; costs roughly $3000/month although he tells me if he wants to defer maintenance and not go anywhere he can get costs down to under half of that...
    At one time I had enough money to consider buying a large and comfortable boat and living on it in Sydney.

Sydney has not one harbour but four and a large navigable river system that encircles Sydney. And to boot my father was a ship's captain. So I thought I was set, until I found it was against the regulations to live on a boat in Sydney. And that the logistics of supply were prohibitive. So I settled on a trailer sail boat that I sailed on the weekend on Sydney harbour.

And when I moved to Canberra I joined the University Sailing club and sometimes take a Laser out on Lake Burley Griffin and have adventures.

Sometimes I take a friend with me and have dinner afterwards at the Yacht Club, but my favourite is taking my neighbour's dog out on the lake. He is a large black labrador and at first he panicked as we moved away from the shore, but now he is the ship's dog but insists that I don't even think of a ship's cat.

But I pine for a ship's cat but so far I have not persuaded any cat at all to join us, and my black labrador remains adamant.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    At one time I had enough money to consider buying a large and comfortable boat and living on it in Sydney.

Sydney has not one harbour but four and a large navigable river system that encircles Sydney. And to boot my father was a ship's captain. So I thought I was set, until I found it was against the regulations to live on a boat in Sydney. And that the logistics of supply were prohibitive. So I settled on a trailer sail boat that I sailed on the weekend on Sydney harbour.

And when I moved to Canberra I joined the University Sailing club and sometimes take a Laser out on Lake Burley Griffin and have adventures.

Sometimes I take a friend with me and have dinner afterwards at the Yacht Club, but my favourite is taking my neighbour's dog out on the lake. He is a large black labrador and at first he panicked as we moved away from the shore, but now he is the ship's dog but insists that I don't even think of a ship's cat.

But I pine for a ship's cat but so far I have not persuaded any cat at all to join us, and my black labrador remains adamant.
    Victor--this post is intelligible. You sure you're okay?