• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fishing

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Anyone here like to fish?

Where do you go fishing and what do you catch?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. But I think if there were enough beer it might not be so bad :)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't fish super-often and I usually just go to the wetlands and catch bluegill and throw them back, but I enjoy it when I go.

wolfy

awsm
I used to do a bit of surf casting. Mostly up north, I can't remember where we went now. Where do you go?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I come from a fishing family so the only correct answer is yes :D

I fish on east coast of NZ in the inner Hauraki Gulf and on both sides of the Coromandel Peninsular. In terms of the edible stuff we catch, mainly (New Zealand) snapper, (red) gurnard and occasionally trevally or tarakihi.

wolfy

awsm
I've been fishing down Coromandel a few times. Lines get tangled every time, fun time nonetheless.

LucrativeSid

I fish mostly in Illinois and Wisconsin. I like active fishing the most. I'm in a boat, steering it with a trolling motor to all the good looking spots along the shore, casting constantly, getting the lure right where I imagine a fish will be, working the lure just right, and then catching who-knows-what. A largemouth, a pike, or even a walleye or crappie. My favorite scenario is casting into the lily pads of a beautiful Wisconsin lake.

Sometimes I enjoy the inactive approach of just fishing for catfish off the shore of a river with some friends, but then it's more about being with friends than fishing. Now that I've quit smoking, I imagine that it would be even more boring than it used to be. (Unless it's one of those lucky days where we're constantly catching fish.)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Where do you go?

I come from a fishing family so the only correct answer is yes :D

I fish on east coast of NZ in the inner Hauraki Gulf and on both sides of the Coromandel Peninsular. In terms of the edible stuff we catch, mainly (New Zealand) snapper, (red) gurnard and occasionally trevally or tarakihi.

^This. But Kingfish and Kawhai too.

I fish mostly in Illinois and Wisconsin. I like active fishing the most. I'm in a boat, steering it with a trolling motor to all the good looking spots along the shore, casting constantly, getting the lure right where I imagine a fish will be, working the lure just right, and then catching who-knows-what. A largemouth, a pike, or even a walleye or crappie. My favorite scenario is casting into the lily pads of a beautiful Wisconsin lake.

That sounds like so much fun. :D I know exactly what you're describing, reminds me of fishing down south in the lakes for trout, trying to get the lure exactly where you want and trying to keep it as deep as possible without snagging. I like the tactical side of fishing.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my parents have a pond stocked with catfish- they are quite tasty, but I don't ever have the attention span to fish for them myself :doh:

I've tried fishing many times- it always lasted, at most, 5 min and ended up with me running off to something more stimulating :laugh:

my parents and sister, however, enjoy fishing- my parents enjoy the peaceful quiet of doing nothing and my sister enjoys triumphing over fish-kind :D

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
No. But I think if there were enough beer it might not be so bad :)

Up until the beer runs out...then it sucks, especially if you're stuck hiding under a bridge because night-fishing in a certain public park is illegal (thanks for letting me know this before you dragged me along, assholes).

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^This. But Kingfish and Kawhai too.
Yeah, we get kahawai but they're not as good to eat - they're only really for smoking (which I don't like) and then you have to bleed them straight away etc. Its a bit of a pain so we throw them back or use them for bait.

Its been a while since I caught a kingfish we could keep - this is mostly because we don't go way out where the big ones are. And the minimum length is 75cm (2'5") now! They're the best fun to catch though.

I have a question for everyone: what's your best catch(es)? It can be the best you've had for a particular species or in general size or weight.

I have been more of a quantity over quality person - not by choice though :newwink: . I've had:
- a 3.5kg (8lb) snapper. Sad, I know. I have terrible luck! :cry:
- a half decent kingi but I can't remember how big or heavy it was - around 80-90cm
- and I once caught about a 1.5 metre mako shark. I got it up along side the boat then cut the line. I know this is technically cheating but I didn't fancy getting on board... :D

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
Fishing is one of the few things my father and I can really bond over, so I hold it pretty close to my heart. To me, it's more than just a sport. It's time spent on a quiet lake where the two of us can relax and enjoy nature, speak freely and enjoy one another's company at length. It may not sound like much, but it means a great deal to me.

I have fond memories growing up of when he would take my brother and I on camping trips or along with him on fishing durbys. Where we would rent a boat in the early mornings and throw a line in, not coming back until it was time for dinner- all sunburnt, exhausted, and glowing with pride, anxious to tell mom of all the fish we caught and the ones that got away. :)

Nowadays I don't get out as much as I would like, but when I do I'll typically spend a day out in a boat on Rice Lake, or fish off the pier at Caesarea. On the rare occasions that everyone has a weekend free, sometimes we're lucky enough to rent a cabin on Crotch Lake and spend a few days there.

I've caught a lot of fish in my day, mostly catch and release. I fish for fun, not for sport. Bass, pike, pickerel, perch, crappie and sunfish are the most common in the lakes I frequent. But my dream is to one day land a muskie. I remember when I was really young, I was fishing off the dock at Caesarea with my dad and one guy landed a monster muskellunge. At that moment I openly declared I one day would do the same. My day has yet to come, obviously, but when it does, I plan to mount it on my wall with something akin to 'good job' written underneath. :laugh:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pickerel and Lake Trout when I was back home; Northern Pike if I'm looking to make fish cake. Ever since I moved though I haven't gotten around to fishing again - I need to do that some time this year...

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
fishing spots all around me, but I don't have a license. However, I do enjoy cleaning the fish, thinking I'm a sushi master. That's fun for me.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
LOVE to fish, but I dont get to go that often. Oh bluegill for the most part

O

Oberon

My favorite way to catch bluegills is on a fly rod. When the bite is on, there's no faster action.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
there's something about fishing that catches my interest. of course hooking them and hitting thier head on the pavement or other hard object seems cruel, i do enjoy watching others fish.

mostly fisher-men/women snag weeds. the sport is similar to golf and i like that game also.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I want to work on a crab fishing boat, like depicted on the Discovery show "Deadliest Catch".

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
Really? @_@ I've watched those documentaries, they're scary! You'd never catch me out in one of those boats :laugh: I'd be too scared of getting swept overboard into the icy water. :/