• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Pancake Recipes and Mixes?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have been disappointed in a lot of the home pancake mixes of recent. Is it just me? What I have been doing of recent is adding to the mixes of making from scratch. In particular I like a nice fluffy pancake (IHOP makes a pretty good one).

This morning I added yogurt, buttermilk, butter (instead of pure oil), extra pinch of baking soda and fresh blueberries. It was yummy but it would be nice if there was something out there at the market which could come close on its own without all the extra steps/additions.

Sugestions? Recipes? Brand of Mix?

MBTI Type
INTJ
This recipe is fantastic. It's a little more labor-intensive than a mix, but the results are worth it.

Light and Fluffy Pancakes

Serves 3 to 4 (about 8 3-inch pancakes). Published January 1, 1996.

This batter serves four perfectly for a light weekday breakfast. You may want to double the recipe for weekend pancake making, when appetites are larger. If you happen to be using salted butter or buttermilk, you may want to cut back a bit on the salt. If you don’t have any buttermilk, mix three-quarters cup of room temperature milk with one tablespoon of lemon juice and let it stand for five minutes. Substitute this “clabbered milk” for the three-quarters cup of buttermilk and one-quarter cup of milk in this recipe. Since this milk mixture is not as thick as buttermilk, the batter and resulting pancakes will not be as thick.

Ingredients
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup milk (plus an extra tablespoon or so if batter is too thick)
1 large egg , separated
2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
vegetable oil (for brushing griddle)

Instructions

1. Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl. Pour buttermilk and milk into 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Whisk in egg white; mix yolk with melted butter, then stir into milk mixture. Dump wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once; whisk until just mixed.

2. Meanwhile, heat griddle or large skillet over strong medium-high heat. Brush griddle generously with oil. When water splashed on surface confidently sizzles, pour batter, about 1/4 cup at a time, onto griddle, making sure not to overcrowd. When pancake bottoms are brown and top surface starts to bubble, 2 to 3 minutes, flip cakes and cook until remaining side has browned, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Re-oil the skillet and repeat for the next batch of pancakes.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
This one is simple and so delicious! I just made these over the weekend. I usually double the batch and freeze them. Just make sure you eat them within a couple of months.

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon white sugar
* 1 1/4 cups milk
* 1 egg
* 3 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

P.S. You don't have to sift them, but they are fluffier if you do.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yum...I cant wait to try out these recipes. Loved pancakes and waffles since I was a kid and have come to the conclusion that its worth the work to put together a special batter.:yes:

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Ya know those muffin packs that come in a variety of assortments? Blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, cinnamon, lemon poppyseed, etc...

Those apparently make really damn good pancakes. You just use a little less milk and an egg for the batter and spoon/cook them over a skillet, and voila!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ya know those muffin packs that come in a variety of assortments? Blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, cinnamon, lemon poppyseed, etc...

Those apparently make really damn good pancakes. You just use a little less milk and an egg for the batter and spoon/cook them over a skillet, and voila!

I see you've been hanging out with Pancake Man. ;)

Chuckums

MBTI Type
ISTP
This one is pretty much like Lux posted and mixes are way too metro for me. It has more sugar because it makes 'em brown better-especially if you use a cast iron frypan.

I use olive oil instead of butter, but you can use any type oil/fat-even bacon fat-hell, you can even go so far as to slather your girlfriend with goose fat if you so desire. All right, that was weird.

Lots of baking powder makes them fluffy-more milk will make them more dense. I make these every Sunday for my family, served with that Yankee syrup that comes from Maple trees:)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoon white sugar

1 1/4 cups milk

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 egg

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Russian Pancakes Recipe (time consuming but worth it)

If anyone out there is an ambitious cook, I really recommend you try this recipe for Russian Blini, they are so good. And right now its the pancake festival, Maslenitsa. This recipe requires a lot of time, but it makes about 30 blini which reheat nicely. Plus blini can be eaten sweet with honey or jam, OR with savory things like smoked fish. Let me know if you make them. This recipe makes the real deal, crepes are just not equivalent to real blini.

Russian Pancakes
Blini

4 1/4 cups milk
5 teaspoons sugar
2 packages active dry yeast
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons light vegetable oil, plus additional for frying
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
4 large eggs, separated
1 small potato halved (this is for greasing the pan)

1) In a small saucepan, scald 3 cups of the milk over low heat. Transfer to a large bowl and cool to lukewarm.

2) Add 1 teaspoon of the sugar and the yeast to the milk, stir, and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.

3) Whisk in half the flour until smooth. Place the sponge, covered, in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

4) Beat in the remaining flour, the salt, 2 tablespoons oil, the butter, and the remaining sugar. Set aside to rise, covered until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.

5) In a saucepan, bring the remaining 1 1/4 cups milk just to a boil, remove from the heat, and beat into the batter.

6) Beat the egg yolks well and stir into the batter.

7) In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold into the batter.

8) Let rise once more in a warm place, covered for around 45 minutes.

9) Dip a potato half into oil and rub over th bottom of a 5- or 7- inch crepe pan or nonstick skillet Heat the pan over medium heat for 1 minute. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and very quickly tilt and rotate the pan so the batter covers the entire surface in a very think layer. Cook until the underside is golden, about 1 minute. Turn and cook for 30 seconds more.

*Be sure to taste the first blin since this is a good time to make adjustments. Add more milk if the batter seems thick, or more flour if its too thin. You can also add more sugar or salt.

10) Repeat with the rest of the batter, greasing the pan with the oiled potato before making each blin and sliding each as it is made into a heatproof deep serving dish. Keep the cooked blini covered with aluminum foil, in a 275°F (135°C) oven.

Recipe by Anya von Bremzen

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No matter what pancake recipe you follow, you have to sift your flour. I can't stress this enough. It's the key step in making your pancakes nice and light and fluffy. If you don't sift your flour, the pancakes will be much denser and could possibly come out far too heavy.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Some really interesting ideas I am mentally putting together the Frankenrecipe of all the best parts...

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Best Buttermilk Pancakes

In time for the weekend, I am attaching an excellent American-style Buttermilk Pancakes recipe. I have made this one, too, and can vouch for it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I always add malted milk powder to pancakes and waffles.