User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Anyone Sew?

MBTI
    INTx

Default Anyone Sew?

This post most relates to the 'home' section of "Home, Garden, and Cooking"...I would imagine.

I'm curious if anyone has sewn their own wedding dress? I'm getting married in April and initially wanted to make my own dress. Alot of the sewing and wedding dress mags had an article stating the only skills necessary were "basic home sewing skills."

So I was inspired and encouraged to hit the fabric shop. I purchased some beautiful monece satin and some teal satin to make a practice dress out of. When I finished the teal dress (empire waist), it looked more like a nightgown than a WEDDINGY Dress... Sigh.

I still have the monece satin, but I have started looking at discontinued designer dresses, as you can get them for as low as 25 bucks--perfect for a pragmatic INTJ.

Anyways... has anyone experienced making their wedding dress and how did it turn out...any trials? ...any great turnouts?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardgir1 View Post
    This post most relates to the 'home' section of "Home, Garden, and Cooking"...I would imagine.
    Well done, Grasshoppa.

As for your question, there is no way in the deepest depths of blackest heck that I would attempt to sew my own wedding dress, but that's probably because I can only sew a straight line (and even that's iffy). Then again, I probably would have gotten married in jeans if I didn't think my grandmother would have cried. I wore a purple dress. Dressy for me, probably on the upper side of casual for a dressy person.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

GirlAmerica

I love to sew by hand...I want to learn to quilt someday.
    I am in no way talented however...

Creative spirit, no talent. Very frustrating.

MBTI
    INTx

I am in no way talented however...

Creative spirit, no talent. Very frustrating.
    For an INTJ, isn't it more about mastering a learned skill than having a talent? I think having the "creative spirit" IS the talent! I love all the endless possiblities that develop in my brain when creating anything, but it's the skill that I need to build. Like you said, very frustrating.

...and I think you should just jump in to quilting. I've made a couple. My skill wasn't the greatest (still very frustrating--hah), but that will be sharpened. You've got to start somewhere.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I sew, but like Ivy, I don't think I'd sew my own wedding dress. I don't have the best fine motor skills and I'm not very patient, so I'll never be really good (except with a seam ripper), but it's still a fun hobby.

Quilting isn't really my thing, but I do think strip piecing rocks.

This is making me sad that my sewing machine is messed up.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I would sew, but I can't afford a good lawyer.

Oberon

Sona could sew. Remember?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Sona could sew. Remember?
    Indeed...maybe he was, oh, how do I put it in his words? Ah yes, "A faggot" or something along those lines. (Personally, I wouldn't mind learning how to sew; anything to help satisfy my bizarre fetishes.)

People who sew are called sewers. And the yarn and shit is called the sewage.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

would a male seamstress be called a seamster? (and then can you imagine what the seamsters' union would be like?! )

I can't sew- I still remember accidentally sewing my thumb with the sewing machine in middle school home ec!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I can't sew- I still remember accidentally sewing my thumb with the sewing machine in middle school home ec!
    What did you do? Take home ec after a freak accident involving the band saw in shop class?