User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cipher View Post
    That's not fair. You can't tell me I've come to the wrong conclusion one second and then say I've got to figure it out for myself the next. Don't you see how screwed up that is?

Oh no, religion is not for me.
    Well, you're obviously not going to kill yourself, I was trying to explain why that was okay...probably. So now that you're not going to kill yourself, you've got to decide what to do.

And when it comes to religion, why not? It's remarkably stabilizing for many.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge
    Likes magpie liked this post

Believe it or not, that's really big... I mean, that whole "what do I do with my life, since I'm alive?" thing. And why not religion? Well, you just said it. I have to decide for myself. I don't want other people telling me what to think. And truth be told, I don't belive in god(s).

P.S. - Probably okay isn't good enough. It has to be 100% okay. Now you've heightened my sense of doubt. Please fix that.
    Likes magpie, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ

Believe it or not, that's really big... I mean, that whole "what do I do with my life, since I'm alive?" thing. And why not religion? Well, you just said it. I have to decide for myself. I don't want other people telling me what to think. And truth be told, I don't belive in god(s).

P.S. - Probably okay isn't good enough. It has to be 100% okay. Now you've heightened my sense of doubt. Please fix that.
    Hey, there's no rush, you've got your whole life to decide. Certainty is pretty impossible, you're asking me for a miracle, and I'm no god.

Religion might help if you're not dealing with people forcing it upon you. And there are plenty of religions that don't have god(s) in the normal sense of the word.

I've always been under the impression that religions are for weak, lost people (kind of like me). I don't want to pray to a god because I can't make my own dreams come true. That seems so desperate.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

I am serious. That's the only solution, right? Just by breathing we create a carbon footprint. Doesn't that make you feel guilty for existing? Or am I the only one?
    IMO, I think the planet is doing a fine job of killing us off on it's own, unintentionally, of course. What ever energy our planet dishes out after it converts the Suns energy, every eukaryote organism converts that new energy(resulting in Cancer?, Other diseases?, and so on.)into carbon, to feed the planet in order for it to continue the cycle. Without these said organisms, the Three-domain system would likely collapse due to overcompensation, and end up killing the planet... I imagine that within the next billion years or so earth will have become a carbon copy of what Venus is today...
    / end rant...
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    ENFJ

I've always been under the impression that religions are for weak, lost people (kind of like me). I don't want to pray to a god because I can't make my own dreams come true. That seems so desperate.
    To believe that a god will do everything for you is kind of beside the point.

God helps those who help themselves? Or maybe. Well, it wouldn't hurt to study. Or you can look into philosophy, it's a close second. Whatever. What is probably best is for you to confront the issue head on rather than hiding behind your guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    IMO, I think the planet is doing a fine job of killing us off on it's own, unintentionally, of course. What ever energy our planet dishes out, every eukaryote organism converts that energy into carbon, to feed the planet in order for it to continue the cycle. Without these said organisms, the Three-domain system would likely collapse due to overcompensation, and end up killing the planet... I imagine that within the next billion years or so earth will have become a carbon copy of what Venus is today...
    / end rant...
    So you're saying plants and animals and fungus and all that convert energy into carbon, which is then taken in and converted into oxygen by bacteria and whatnot. And right, one domain couldn't exist without the others.

Forgive me, but I haven't been gifted with scientific capabilities or intelligence. How is the planet doing a fine job of killing us off on its own?

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    To believe that a god will do everything for you is kind of beside the point.

God helps those who help themselves? Or maybe. Well, it wouldn't hurt to study. Or you can look into philosophy, it's a close second. Whatever. What is probably best is for you to confront the issue head on rather than hiding behind your guilt.
    Philosophy does interest me. Although I'm going to assume you don't mean philosphies like nihilism? And yeah, I know. Guilt is selfish and bad. That just makes me feel more guilty.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Philosophy does interest me. Although I'm going to assume you don't mean philosphies like nihilism? And yeah, I know. Guilt is selfish and bad. That just makes me feel more guilty.
    I guess not. Try not to get too down on yourself, otherwise they might lock you away.

I wish you good luck.

Oh, they already have.

Sincerely, thank you. I am not easy to talk to. Your advice is appreciated beyond belief, and will be deeply considered.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

How is the planet doing a fine job of killing us off on its own?
    Hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, the energy we consume(filter, break down, etc), planetary rotation induced psychosis,... Pick your poison, I'm sure the list goes on.
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!