User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Street Food

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Street Food

street food, street vendors. i live off them.

what kinds of foods do street vendors sell where you guys live? what's popular there?
    do they even have street vendors where you live?

i love that street vendors are so ubiquitous in Belize, it is heaven for me because i like to eat all the time. we have lots of vendors selling fantastic home-made food here.
    tacos and meat-pies are pretty popular here. they like to make the tacos with cabbage. and tamales, lots of tamales. they make the tamales in banana leaves here, instead of in corn-husks. how caribbean, right?
    BBQ chicken is huge here too, it is very popular.
    we have tons of vendors selling vegetables too.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

My town isn't really big enough to have street vendors, I'm sorry to say... but when I'm in a place where there ARE street vendors (e.g. I was just in Los Angeles), I love to eat their food! It's just something about the atmosphere, you know? Sigh...
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I attacked street food like a starving person while in Brazil, because they had the best street food ever! It was the first thing I ate when getting off the plane and the first thing I ate before getting on it to get back- most of what I got was batidas and sucos (jugos for spanish) of fresh fruits, pastais (meat pies in puff pastry), coxinhas (chicken pastries) and pao de queijo (cheese bread)

Here, I'm on the border of little Mexico, so there's a lot of taco trucks and tamales
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

In the streets of NY, you'll find hot dog/sausage carts and different types of pretzels or roasted nuts but the main thing everywhere is halal food and kebabs with rice. NYers love their street meat in between 2-6am when rolling out of the bars.

We also have coffee carts in the morning all over midtown that are filled with random pastries and bagels and eggs, sometimes bacon. And also the ubiquitous ice cream trucks.

I wish there were pizza stands like they have in Cuba But some pizza shops have a window on the sidewalk where you can order from.

MBTI
    enfp

LA food trucks are getting pretty huge here

kalbi tacos (korean beef) started a huge wave of imitators a coupla years ago, now you see all sorts of food trucks becoming more mainstream here in LA. from california fusion types, to bbq chicken etc, organics etc...

it gets pretty crazy, people would wait in line for 2 hours just to get some kalbi tacos... crazy

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I attacked street food like a starving person while in Brazil, because they had the best street food ever! It was the first thing I ate when getting off the plane and the first thing I ate before getting on it to get back- most of what I got was batidas and sucos (jugos for spanish) of fresh fruits, pastais (meat pies in puff pastry), coxinhas (chicken pastries) and pao de queijo (cheese bread)
    yeah, i have heard the street food in Brazil is amazing, and really unique!

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I wish there were pizza stands like they have in Cuba But some pizza shops have a window on the sidewalk where you can order from.
    yeah, the street food in Cuba is AMAZING. it is really diverse. i noticed a lot of pork foods when i was there. which is great, no complaints!

i love the very fast walk-up places too, walk-up pizza or gyros or whatever.

I love street food. They are called yatai in Japan. A lot of business people stop in on the way home for a drink and some food. They sell...

yakitori (chicken kebabs)

ramen

okomiyaki (a kind of savoury pancake with meat, eggs and vegetables)

oden

and last but not least...sake

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
    LA food trucks are getting pretty huge here

kalbi tacos (korean beef) started a huge wave of imitators a coupla years ago, now you see all sorts of food trucks becoming more mainstream here in LA. from california fusion types, to bbq chicken etc, organics etc... but the korean taco trucks are still the "big ones".
    when i lived in LA we didn't have street food, but i think that was just our neighborhood. we had lots of what i guess you could call 'family food' - where somebody would start barbecuing outside, and if you were friends with their family and happened to walk by you could just stop and eat with them.
    but LA is very synonymous with BBQ pork and chicken in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I love street food. They are called yatai in Japan. A lot of business people stop in on the way home for a drink and some food. They sell...
    yeah, that looks delicious! that is what i am talking about!

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    but LA is very synonymous with BBQ pork and chicken in my mind.
    yeah. its a relatively recent phenomenom.

look at these people wanting to wait for a kogi taco. ridiculous

meh....

i have yet to try one lolz

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
    yeah. its a relatively recent phenomenom.

look at these people wanting to wait for a kogi taco. ridiculous
    that is pretty ridiculous. i wonder if the tacos are that good?
    although i wouldn't want to wait that long for any food.
    to me, one of the best part of street vendors is that they are fast. crazy fast.

in Belize a lot of the vendors use 3 wheel bicycles, you see them everywhere here: