• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Street Food

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
street food, street vendors. i live off them.

what kinds of foods do street vendors sell where you guys live? what's popular there?
do they even have street vendors where you live?

i love that street vendors are so ubiquitous in Belize, it is heaven for me because i like to eat all the time. we have lots of vendors selling fantastic home-made food here.
tacos and meat-pies are pretty popular here. they like to make the tacos with cabbage. and tamales, lots of tamales. they make the tamales in banana leaves here, instead of in corn-husks. how caribbean, right?
BBQ chicken is huge here too, it is very popular.
we have tons of vendors selling vegetables too.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My town isn't really big enough to have street vendors, I'm sorry to say... but when I'm in a place where there ARE street vendors (e.g. I was just in Los Angeles), I love to eat their food! It's just something about the atmosphere, you know? Sigh... :wubbie:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I attacked street food like a starving person while in Brazil, because they had the best street food ever! It was the first thing I ate when getting off the plane and the first thing I ate before getting on it to get back- most of what I got was batidas and sucos (jugos for spanish) of fresh fruits, pastais (meat pies in puff pastry), coxinhas (chicken pastries) and pao de queijo (cheese bread) :drool:

Here, I'm on the border of little Mexico, so there's a lot of taco trucks and tamales :yes:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
In the streets of NY, you'll find hot dog/sausage carts and different types of pretzels or roasted nuts but the main thing everywhere is halal food and kebabs with rice. NYers love their street meat in between 2-6am when rolling out of the bars.

We also have coffee carts in the morning all over midtown that are filled with random pastries and bagels and eggs, sometimes bacon. And also the ubiquitous ice cream trucks.

I wish there were pizza stands like they have in Cuba :( But some pizza shops have a window on the sidewalk where you can order from.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
LA food trucks are getting pretty huge here

kalbi tacos (korean beef) started a huge wave of imitators a coupla years ago, now you see all sorts of food trucks becoming more mainstream here in LA. from california fusion types, to bbq chicken etc, organics etc...

it gets pretty crazy, people would wait in line for 2 hours just to get some kalbi tacos... crazy

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I attacked street food like a starving person while in Brazil, because they had the best street food ever! It was the first thing I ate when getting off the plane and the first thing I ate before getting on it to get back- most of what I got was batidas and sucos (jugos for spanish) of fresh fruits, pastais (meat pies in puff pastry), coxinhas (chicken pastries) and pao de queijo (cheese bread) :drool:

yeah, i have heard the street food in Brazil is amazing, and really unique!

I wish there were pizza stands like they have in Cuba :( But some pizza shops have a window on the sidewalk where you can order from.

yeah, the street food in Cuba is AMAZING. it is really diverse. i noticed a lot of pork foods when i was there. which is great, no complaints!

i love the very fast walk-up places too, walk-up pizza or gyros or whatever.

wolfy

awsm
2823989162_fd151f5d07.jpg

2823068341_d672c1a393.jpg

2823150493_be5f9a5f39.jpg

2823905428_078f994f01.jpg

Yakisoba_yatai_%28Fried_noodle_stall%29.jpg

I love street food. They are called yatai in Japan. A lot of business people stop in on the way home for a drink and some food. They sell...

yakitori (chicken kebabs)
180px-Cooking_yakitori.jpg

ramen
285px-Soy_ramen.jpg

okomiyaki (a kind of savoury pancake with meat, eggs and vegetables)
180px-Okonomiyaki_2.jpg

oden
180px-Yataioden.jpg

and last but not least...sake
200px-Unfiltered_Sake_at_Gyu-Kaku.jpg

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
LA food trucks are getting pretty huge here

kalbi tacos (korean beef) started a huge wave of imitators a coupla years ago, now you see all sorts of food trucks becoming more mainstream here in LA. from california fusion types, to bbq chicken etc, organics etc... but the korean taco trucks are still the "big ones".

when i lived in LA we didn't have street food, but i think that was just our neighborhood. we had lots of what i guess you could call 'family food' - where somebody would start barbecuing outside, and if you were friends with their family and happened to walk by you could just stop and eat with them.
but LA is very synonymous with BBQ pork and chicken in my mind.

I love street food. They are called yatai in Japan. A lot of business people stop in on the way home for a drink and some food. They sell...
yeah, that looks delicious! that is what i am talking about!

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
but LA is very synonymous with BBQ pork and chicken in my mind.

yeah. its a relatively recent phenomenom.

look at these people wanting to wait for a kogi taco. ridiculous

kogi.jpg

img_0340.jpg

kogitacos.jpg

6a0105364cdc73970c0115706e586a970b-800wi

kogi.jpg

09_02_04_KogiBBQ_002.jpg

meh....

i have yet to try one lolz

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
yeah. its a relatively recent phenomenom.

look at these people wanting to wait for a kogi taco. ridiculous

that is pretty ridiculous. i wonder if the tacos are that good?
although i wouldn't want to wait that long for any food.
to me, one of the best part of street vendors is that they are fast. crazy fast.

in Belize a lot of the vendors use 3 wheel bicycles, you see them everywhere here:

4242962050_262e12953b.jpg
3342468648_315fc71ac2.jpg

3289147744_261d45fd9a.jpg

822619442_275122e1a2.jpg
3463843116_fe6b113b84.jpg

4242019441_b33348c701.jpg

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'd love to try street food in China. Humble though it might seem, it's one of my life's dreams, honest.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I haven't noticed a lot of street food in L.A. (at least the parts I frequent) except for the food trucks that are now all the rage. But they're in different places all the time and I've not had the chance to sample one yet. When I was in Hong Kong, the street food was great. I didn't try the more exotic foods, but the stuff I did have was cheap and good.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'd love to try street food in China. Humble though it might seem, it's one of my life's dreams, honest.

:yes:

I'm a pretty picky eater, but I ate scorpions and sea horses on the streets of China. I'll post pics of those markets later...

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I haven't noticed a lot of street food in L.A. (at least the parts I frequent) except for the food trucks that are now all the rage. But they're in different places all the time and I've not had the chance to sample one yet. When I was in Hong Kong, the street food was great. I didn't try the more exotic foods, but the stuff I did have was cheap and good.

My friend lived in Hong Kong and she raved about the street food and food in general but when I visited I don't remember much about the food... I like Hong Kong style tea snack shops in the states alright though.

The street food in Mexico City is delicious and cheap and everywhere. There are also stands that only operate a few hours a day, we would look for the most packed stands and eat there. Who doesn't love pork?!? LOL. Gorditas and enchildas in Mexico City are totally different from what I am used to in the states. I had the most delicious hot and fresh gorditas... You can also get tamales easily, there are lots of food stands (mobile and not) near convenience stores. And tortas are really popular, they spread refried beans on the bread but I don't think I can ever taste them...

I also ate huitlacoche aka Mexico's "corn truffle" which is DELICIOUS and of course vegetarian friendly, lol. And drank tons and tons of fresh juice (soooo cheap and tons of fruit) especially after I got hit with both food poisoning and a cold.

We never made it to Oaxaca but we had chapulines aka grasshoppers at an outdoor market. After we added lemon/lime they were pretty soggy...and it reminded me of eating bugs in general. Kinda mealy. But I had shrimp on a stick at the Xmas themed fair at Zocalo (huge park that goes nuts during the holidays) and the shrimp was giant and juicy. And maybe 2 us dollars. SOOOOO delicious.

In Lima, Peru there isn't as much street food and the offerings are more limited but there are people who sell food on the street (not in trucks though) by carrying around baskets or getting dropped off and just standing and selling. Yes, you can get tamales. The food carts are different kinds of soups/noodles from what I remember and usually near the big markets. More prevalent are stands with grains and corn based drinks...I forget the name...but those stands were very popular in the morning and you can also get avocado breakfast sandwiches at them. Arroz con leche (rice pudding) is usually sold alongside mazamorra. The food at restaurants is so cheap though (average ~3 us dollars for a 2 or 3 course menu del dia with drink included) you don't need to rely on street food for a budget.

You also see people from bakeries walking around the street or inside markets with trays of food. Normally I would be suspect but other vendors were buying chocolate cakes from one of the bakers so we took a chance it was tasty!

I just made myself hungry...

DC has typical US/east coast food stands like hot dogs and pretzels but they are really geared towards tourists and nothing to write home about. There are 1 or 2 'gourmet' food trucks that travel and a Korean food stand downtown that are popular but I have never eaten at one.

stardancer

MBTI Type
ENFP
I won't eat at street vendors due to the blatant serve-safe violations I have witnessed while standing in line with others who were getting food. Not that they are all like that, but a lot are. Same thing with buffets.... unless I am first in line. I also don't like to be seated in a restaurant near the kitchen because I don't want to know. I think working in food establishments for years has ruined me...lol

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
pizza, pizza pizza everywhere, of course :D also there are lots of bakeries that sell typical bread with high-quality ham (dunno if you know Prosciutto di Parma & similar stuf), then there's Kebabs. In venice, where I go 3-4 times a week for work-school, there's also typical fresh fried fish & some new sushi takeaways, great stuff. There's also a lot of stuff whole name in english I don't know....Arancini, mozzarelle in carrozza, vin brulè

They tried hot-dog stands for a while but i think they could not compete with the traditional food & kebab

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I won't eat at street vendors due to the blatant serve-safe violations I have witnessed while standing in line with others who were getting food. Not that they are all like that, but a lot are. Same thing with buffets.... unless I am first in line. I also don't like to be seated in a restaurant near the kitchen because I don't want to know. I think working in food establishments for years has ruined me...lol

haha. it's pretty interesting, i think, that some people who are exposed to bad conditions and food-prep become really conscious of the quality of food - but then other people are exposed to the same things and just become more nonchalant. i know that i saw some pretty horrible food-prep, but it just gave me more of an iron-stomach, more of a sense of; "alright, food is not really a big deal".

not to give the impression that i don't love food. because you know, i do love it. i love it in my soul. haha.

Mmm, prosciutto and arancini. You just made me hungry.

what is arancini?

The street food in Mexico City is delicious and cheap and everywhere.... (etc)

yeah, we have a lot of food here that is pretty similar to Mexico. slightly different, but there are some of those classic dishes throughout latin america, and especially central america.
but we have a huge caribbean influence here, so our food is as much (a little more probably) caribbean as latin.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
streetimage114vk9.jpg

streetimage159sb7.jpg

streetimage167ol5.jpg

beautyimage080yr6.jpg

It's pretty simple in the boondocks. Fruit, dumplings, barbecued meat, lamb sticks, kebabs, all sorts of bing (rice flour batter pancakes with stuff added on the make a wrap), straight up sticky rice, noodles, liang cai (cold noodles with pickled veggies), fried rice, fried everything if it can be put on a stick... Popcorn too sometimes, and soy milk drinks.

Ai! To be back there. There is no street food in Sydney. It's probably illegal.