User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Street Food

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'd love to try street food in China. Humble though it might seem, it's one of my life's dreams, honest.

I haven't noticed a lot of street food in L.A. (at least the parts I frequent) except for the food trucks that are now all the rage. But they're in different places all the time and I've not had the chance to sample one yet. When I was in Hong Kong, the street food was great. I didn't try the more exotic foods, but the stuff I did have was cheap and good.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I'd love to try street food in China. Humble though it might seem, it's one of my life's dreams, honest.

I'm a pretty picky eater, but I ate scorpions and sea horses on the streets of China. I'll post pics of those markets later...

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I haven't noticed a lot of street food in L.A. (at least the parts I frequent) except for the food trucks that are now all the rage. But they're in different places all the time and I've not had the chance to sample one yet. When I was in Hong Kong, the street food was great. I didn't try the more exotic foods, but the stuff I did have was cheap and good.
    My friend lived in Hong Kong and she raved about the street food and food in general but when I visited I don't remember much about the food... I like Hong Kong style tea snack shops in the states alright though.

The street food in Mexico City is delicious and cheap and everywhere. There are also stands that only operate a few hours a day, we would look for the most packed stands and eat there. Who doesn't love pork?!? LOL. Gorditas and enchildas in Mexico City are totally different from what I am used to in the states. I had the most delicious hot and fresh gorditas... You can also get tamales easily, there are lots of food stands (mobile and not) near convenience stores. And tortas are really popular, they spread refried beans on the bread but I don't think I can ever taste them...

I also ate huitlacoche aka Mexico's "corn truffle" which is DELICIOUS and of course vegetarian friendly, lol. And drank tons and tons of fresh juice (soooo cheap and tons of fruit) especially after I got hit with both food poisoning and a cold.

We never made it to Oaxaca but we had chapulines aka grasshoppers at an outdoor market. After we added lemon/lime they were pretty soggy...and it reminded me of eating bugs in general. Kinda mealy. But I had shrimp on a stick at the Xmas themed fair at Zocalo (huge park that goes nuts during the holidays) and the shrimp was giant and juicy. And maybe 2 us dollars. SOOOOO delicious.

In Lima, Peru there isn't as much street food and the offerings are more limited but there are people who sell food on the street (not in trucks though) by carrying around baskets or getting dropped off and just standing and selling. Yes, you can get tamales. The food carts are different kinds of soups/noodles from what I remember and usually near the big markets. More prevalent are stands with grains and corn based drinks...I forget the name...but those stands were very popular in the morning and you can also get avocado breakfast sandwiches at them. Arroz con leche (rice pudding) is usually sold alongside mazamorra. The food at restaurants is so cheap though (average ~3 us dollars for a 2 or 3 course menu del dia with drink included) you don't need to rely on street food for a budget.

You also see people from bakeries walking around the street or inside markets with trays of food. Normally I would be suspect but other vendors were buying chocolate cakes from one of the bakers so we took a chance it was tasty!

I just made myself hungry...

DC has typical US/east coast food stands like hot dogs and pretzels but they are really geared towards tourists and nothing to write home about. There are 1 or 2 'gourmet' food trucks that travel and a Korean food stand downtown that are popular but I have never eaten at one.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP

I won't eat at street vendors due to the blatant serve-safe violations I have witnessed while standing in line with others who were getting food. Not that they are all like that, but a lot are. Same thing with buffets.... unless I am first in line. I also don't like to be seated in a restaurant near the kitchen because I don't want to know. I think working in food establishments for years has ruined me...lol
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

pizza, pizza pizza everywhere, of course also there are lots of bakeries that sell typical bread with high-quality ham (dunno if you know Prosciutto di Parma & similar stuf), then there's Kebabs. In venice, where I go 3-4 times a week for work-school, there's also typical fresh fried fish & some new sushi takeaways, great stuff. There's also a lot of stuff whole name in english I don't know....Arancini, mozzarelle in carrozza, vin brul

They tried hot-dog stands for a while but i think they could not compete with the traditional food & kebab
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Mmm, prosciutto and arancini. You just made me hungry.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Hot dogs, Tacos, Ribs and other meaty things.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by stardancer View Post
    I won't eat at street vendors due to the blatant serve-safe violations I have witnessed while standing in line with others who were getting food. Not that they are all like that, but a lot are. Same thing with buffets.... unless I am first in line. I also don't like to be seated in a restaurant near the kitchen because I don't want to know. I think working in food establishments for years has ruined me...lol
    haha. it's pretty interesting, i think, that some people who are exposed to bad conditions and food-prep become really conscious of the quality of food - but then other people are exposed to the same things and just become more nonchalant. i know that i saw some pretty horrible food-prep, but it just gave me more of an iron-stomach, more of a sense of; "alright, food is not really a big deal".

not to give the impression that i don't love food. because you know, i do love it. i love it in my soul. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Mmm, prosciutto and arancini. You just made me hungry.
    what is arancini?

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    The street food in Mexico City is delicious and cheap and everywhere.... (etc)
    yeah, we have a lot of food here that is pretty similar to Mexico. slightly different, but there are some of those classic dishes throughout latin america, and especially central america.
    but we have a huge caribbean influence here, so our food is as much (a little more probably) caribbean as latin.

MBTI
    INTJ

It's pretty simple in the boondocks. Fruit, dumplings, barbecued meat, lamb sticks, kebabs, all sorts of bing (rice flour batter pancakes with stuff added on the make a wrap), straight up sticky rice, noodles, liang cai (cold noodles with pickled veggies), fried rice, fried everything if it can be put on a stick... Popcorn too sometimes, and soy milk drinks.

Ai! To be back there. There is no street food in Sydney. It's probably illegal.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr