• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird edible plants thread

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
We already had a "weird meat threat", so I think it would be fair for us all to also have a "weird fruit thread", so anybody can participate.

Plants are a fascinating stuff when you're aware of the immense variety of their tastes. Unfortunately, I've noticed that few of us have really explored this (almost) infinite frontier. One of the sad reason may be the gradual lessening of varieties of plants you find in markets, thanks to single-crop farming and GMO. For instance, many fruits that were once rather popular and commonly appreciated have nearly dissapeared just because they couldn't survive transport (for instance: medlars).
Of course, I also have a lot of vegetarians friends with whom we often experiment or share recipes of unusual edible plants together, even if I'm not a vegetarian myself. :hug:

Remember: the more varied you eat, the healthier.

So let me ask you four questions:

1/-What kind of (unusual) fruits did you already tried?

2/-What kind of vegetables did you already tried, and how?

3/-What kind of spices or aromatic plant did you already tasted, and in which recipe?

4/-And possibly what were your favorite fruits, vegetables and spice overall? Just be honest on this one, even if it's only potatoes, apples and pepper. The flavor you prefer doesn't necessarily have to be that exotic...

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I won't immediately give you a list of what I've tried, as it would be long and immediately ruin the purpose of this thread. Let's extend the time of discovery, with our own words!

However, I can answer to the part 4:

-Favorite fruits:

1/ Passionfruits, the ones of Passiflora laurifolia and Passiflora alata in particular.

2/ Tropical plant: Lychees (Litchi chinensis)

3/ Temperate plant: Rapsberries and apricots

-Favorite vegetables:

1/ European chesnut (Castanea sativa)

2/ Heart of palm, especially the one from Acanthophoenix rubra (the red Barbel palm from Mauritius), which is a real delicacy

3/ Of course, Crimean black tomatoes, the sweetest of all...

-Favorite spices:

1/ Aromatic ginger (Kaempferia galanga)

2/ Vanilla (Vanilla planifolia)