User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    I can make simple things... last night I made a lasagna for everyone. It was actually really good. I can make eggplant parmesan, though there was definitely some trial and error with that... I guess I just don't know where exactly to go from here. I honestly don't really know what constitutes a dinner meal.
    Cookthink is one of the best websites for that problem:
    Cookthink | Feel smarter in the kitchen.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Traditionally, a meat, two vegetables or a vegetable and a salad, bread/starch, maybe dessert.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Well do yourself a favor and move past the whole meat and potatoes thing. I know people love roasts and stuff but boy, what boring stuff to cook. Vegetarian cooking is REALLY interesting, and even if you want to have meat don't make it just a slab of meat.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Crockpot pot roast is yummy and easy, though...

MBTI
    ENTP

I learned at my mums elbow, I was nuts about cooking as a tiny kid. I was hospitliased at 8 with a coooking injury... LOL

learn some core dishes.

Gordon Ramsey Make it Easy is good. His scrambled eggs are devine.

Roasts are easy - byung them in the oven turn the over on....
    Peel a few veg and you are done.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Even though it won't make you a master chef, I learned alot from Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals on Food Network. I had NO experience cooking, and the good thing about the show is that they show HOW she cuts, dices, and whatnot because she's doing everything in 30 minutes. Most TV food shows usually skip the details, so I appreciated being able to watch HOW she prepares the meal.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I didn't know how to cook when I got married. But someone gave me a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook as a wedding present, and that taught me the basics very well. After learning those basic recipies, I really got a feel for cooking and got more and more creative with it.
    I later learned more basics through Mastering the art of French Cooking by Julia Child.(although I didn't go through every recipe like in that movie)

I would also recommend Gordon Ramsay's book Gordon Ramsay Makes it easy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Gordon Ramsey has some excellent videos on YouTube. There are a lot of cooking how-to videos on YouTube.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    Lol, I own "The Joy of Cooking" and it usually confuses me with ingredients I have never even heard of. It was a wedding present for my mom. Needless to say it is mint condition; my mom is a terrible cook. She has been cooking the same 4 or 5 things since I was born. We finally switched to frozen dinners that just need to be thrown in the oven. I personally thinks it's sad.
    What ingredients confuse you? I just grabbed my copy (1978 edition) so if it was a wedding gift to your mom, I should be reasonably close to the copy you have. I, as I'm sure several people here would be, happy to help you with that.

When I was in college I was friends with one of those girls that are destined to be a mom and housewife. She loved children, she loved cooking, and she loved being a hostess. After rehearsals some of us would go back to her apartment and she would always have ingredients to make something appetizing for everyone. One time she was looking through what she had in her fridge and ended up making the best pico de gallo I have ever had in my life.

Anyways, my point is I can't do that. I look in my pantry and I only see packages of instant everything and it makes me nauseous. I'd rather learn how to make my own food so I can feel like I'm actually getting some kind of nutrition.
    Well, who does the shopping at your house? If you could perhaps create 5 days worth of dinner ideas, you could then make a shopping list. You accumulate spices and things over time, stock up on staples then you would need maybe one trip a week for perishable replenishment (veggies, fruits and meats).

I can make simple things... last night I made a lasagna for everyone. It was actually really good. I can make eggplant parmesan, though there was definitely some trial and error with that... I guess I just don't know where exactly to go from here. I honestly don't really know what constitutes a dinner meal.
    What did you make with the lasagna? All that's needed would be a green salad, maybe several kinds of leafy greens. Those come pre-washed in bags. Maybe some Italian bread then a simple dessert if you're wanting a dessert. It could even be cheese and fruit (which is one of my favorite desserts).
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

I found I couldn't make myself interested in really cooking until I followed my tastebuds. I tried to discipline myself to master basic recipes from books, but I quickly lost interest. Luckily, we live in the age of the internet where you can find just about any recipe under the sun. I found it worked better to try recipes I like from restaurants - Thai, Japanese, Indian, Greek, etc. I became more engaged because cooking didn't seem like a chore and it was honestly kind of fun to deconstruct the flavor combinations that I had always loved. It really made me appreciate what went into the process of making my favorite dishes as well.

I'm not knocking the classics or saying that you should bypass learning basic recipes/skills, but if you have the same frustration/lack of motivation at any point, then you might want to switch it up a little.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

°cataplum!