• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Bad-Ass Knitting Thread

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I'm curious about knitting, but haven't had much luck thus far. Anyone know of a good video tutorial to help me out? I've found a few that were ok, but if you know of a good one I'd love a link!

Try the Knitting for Beginners/Tutorial for Beginners series on Youtube. It's the perfect price (free). ;)

Check out her uploads and you'll see a whole series of videos taking you through the process step by step.

YouTube - CitalL86's Channel

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I joined a knitting group and now I get the basic idea. I want to make a scarf and hat.

Eventually.

3964417816_32eef2b376_m.jpg

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Elaur, Thing 1 found the hat she made to be easier than she expected. She thought she would need to use circular needles but it turned out all she needed to do was knit a big rectangle, sew it up into a cylinder and then sew across the top to make the "ears." It was a bit too small so she knitted the orange band and sewed it onto the bottom. Then she finger knitted some braids to hang down from the ears and she's going to put some kind of cute bauble on the end of them.

Actually, the hat was originally supposed to be the first in a pair of leg warmers, but that didn't work out at all like she expected, so she turned it into a hat. :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ That scarf is awesome.

I love that yarn!!!

Elaur, Thing 1 found the hat she made to be easier than she expected. She thought she would need to use circular needles but it turned out all she needed to do was knit a big rectangle, sew it up into a cylinder and then sew across the top to make the "ears." It was a bit too small so she knitted the orange band and sewed it onto the bottom. Then she finger knitted some braids to hang down from the ears and she's going to put some kind of cute bauble on the end of them.

Actually, the hat was originally supposed to be the first in a pair of leg warmers, but that didn't work out at all like she expected, so she turned it into a hat. :D
Wow, you have a creative kid. :)

Potential project bag for knitters:
99079959v7_480x480_Front.jpg

I found this hilarious (although rude :D)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
That bag is golden! :D

I tried to knit and crotchet...I have the tools and some yarn sitting in a box. All of my friends in college knitted and had their own Stitch N Bitch group going. This thread has seriously got me reinterested!

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
my granma gave me crotcheted blanket a long time ago (20 yrs already?) and it's the one everyone wants to use! i have lots of other ones around but it is by far the most readily grabbed. at first i thought i should shield it from rough and tumble pulling, stretching, gripping fingers, feet and body contortions :newwink: but it has proven to be very durable. the yarn it's made of is a blend too. why has it been such a well loved blankie? i leave that to the knitting skeptics to answer. :)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Ok, so I bought two colors of yarn today and I hope to make a scarf. How many holes or whatever should I knit to get this look. It looks like it's 1:4 wide vs. stripe, does that sound right? Maybe like 32 whatevers per row and 8 rows of each color alternating? I have a 6mm (us 10) circular needles and 7 oz acrylic yarn.

4256924939_bc6cdc1234.jpg

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Ok, so I bought two colors of yarn today and I hope to make a scarf. How many holes or whatever should I knit to get this look. It looks like it's 1:4 wide vs. stripe, does that sound right? Maybe like 32 whatevers per row and 8 rows of each color alternating? I have a 6mm (us 10) circular needles and 7 oz acrylic yarn.

To tell anything you have to knit a swatch first.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I just started randomly knitting, only using the knit stitch.

4259786990_19b73ff7cf.jpg

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I just started randomly knitting, only using the knit stitch.

4259786990_19b73ff7cf.jpg

That doesn't look bad! Some of those ends look a bit short to weave in, though. When changing yarn people usually recommend to leave at least a 6-inch tail.

If you want to be more exact though, you need to knit a swatch. Usually labels have recommended gauges, as in how many stitches or rows of knitting is in an inch. You knit one to tell how many rows and stitches are really in an inch, and then you use that to tell how much you'll need to knit.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
pic_runway_ep11_jay_3.jpg

The only picture I could find of the fabulous knitwear in Jay McCarroll's collection for Fashion Week, when he was on Project Runway.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
^^^

That sweater is truly badass. :cool:

I found some closer pics of Rodarte knits (1st from the Target line).

Rodarte%2BSweater%2B2%2B4.jpg

img-thing

And this girl home knits Rodarte inspired pieces:

3474159586_c89ff6c03d_o.jpg

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I would totally get into knitting if I could make a mario sweater! That's really cool.

I never thought I'd say that about knitting.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know this is a bad-ass knitting thread, but is crocheting welcome?