User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    - Squid (Never again. The smell is horrible, and it's like eating rubber)
    It depends. It may only look like rubber if you cook it alone, or in a sushi.

Squids can be rather tasteful when you combine them with a strong textured flavor.
    For instance, you will find them in traditional paellas, Spanish tapas, in Galician cuisine (pulpo a la Gallega) or with the famous Risotto al nero (a delicacy from Venice).

In southern France, you have several wonderful recipes of Encornet farcis (à la sétoise, for instance).

According to my opinion, what you should absolutely avoid are the Calamares a la Romana (Fried dough of calamar rings), which indeed are tasteless and oily, even when you season them with lemon juice.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Sniffles

Squid is very good, but I have to be careful when reading it or else my stomach will get upset.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Squid is very good, but I have to be careful when reading it or else my stomach will get upset.
    Why, you awful catholic weapon-loving romantic reactionary?

(But I have to admit it's true that generally speaking, cuisine from Catholic countries do taste better than Protestant or Orthodox ones, with a few exceptions though)
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Why, you awful catholic weapon-loving romantic reactionary?
    I guess I don't smoke enough pot to make it go down easier, especially while listening to bad renditions of Bob Dylan protest songs. You OTOH.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes, land snails (namely Helix pomatia, aspersa and leucorum, if I remember well) with parsley, garlic and butter...

And lots of marine gastropods too (whelks, winkles, limpets... anything that is vaguely palatable)...
    I like escargot. It's one of the few strange meats that I've tried that I actually enjoy.

I didn't particularly care for fried alligator or frog legs. Nothing there that made me want to come back. I don't especially have a taste for deer, either.

I'm a huge fan of sushi and calimari - but everyone eats that nowdays. I really like those big, orange salty salmon roe too. I love raw oysters.

Violence, dude, I can't believe you ate dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    oxtail soup (a Korean delicacy).
    deer
    I've heard that some people cod sperm and chilled cow blood for dessert.
    Ah, yes! I have this once in a while with my Korean flatmate, it is pretty delicious as well. I especially like the soft-bones (I think they would be called cartilage?) part.

And for Mongolian style hot pot mix, there is chilled cow blood yes. However it is cooked.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Violence, dude, I can't believe you ate dog.
    Actually, dog meat tastes very good, that's surprising.
    No wonder it's a popular meat, especially in Korea (where you can also find cans of "dog's juice" in every supermarket).

But in Korea, they have sometimes the controversial habit to torture the animal, because extreme pain is supposed to tenderize the flesh. This is a tradition I would not give support to, and hence, I try to avoid Korean dog meat whenever possible.

Like with whale, this is my limit. It's not exactly a culinary taboo, it's rather a deliberate choice.

I would not eat the flesh of an endangered specie, especially if it is also known for its high cognitive abilities.

And while speaking of cognitive abilities and ethology, some species of squids are supposed to be at least as intelligent as dogs. This is why octopus flesh usually contains very high level of cholesterol: it's not fat, it's their voluminous brain and neurons that are disseminated into several parts of their body (rather than being centralized, like in vertebrates).

---

As an environmental activist, I would recommanded to eat insects more often. My opinion is not only based on the fact that insects are very common and a cheap source of proteins, it's rather that they probably represent the healthiest possible source of proteins we know. They are easy to digest, and perfectly balanced with every vitamin, mineral and omega acid (unlike beef, lamb, pork or chicken). That's where you see men probably had a long line of insectivorous ancestors, because our intestinal tract is perfectly suited to their consumption: it's a biological fact.

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    enfp

But in Korea, they have sometimes the controversial habit to torture the animal, because extreme pain is supposed to tenderize the flesh. This is a tradition I would not give support to, and hence, I try to avoid Korean dog meat whenever possible.
    Actually, dog meat is not sold in ordinary supermarkets in Korea and dogs are not "beaten to death" like they used to be. It is technically "illegal" to sell dog meat in Korea. Although some Korean restaurants do at risk of losing their restaurant licenses. You couldn't "buy" Korean dog meat anyways since it is not classifed as "livestock" by the Korean government, so it is illegal to trade it overseas or domestically. Of course, I am sure it still happens to some degree. Because it is not classified as "livestock" by the Korean government, it is not able to be regulated and it is in a grey area. Efforts to classify it previously as "livestock" in the past was met with resistance with animal rights groups, so it is not a regulated industry.

Whoever fed you that misinformation about dogs being beaten and dog meat being sold in supermarkets isn't exactly doing a service to anybody by spreading false information. I don't personally think it is morally wrong to eat a dog. I think its morally wrong to only care about cute animals.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
    Actually, dog meat is not sold in ordinary supermarkets in Korea and dogs are not "beaten to death" like they used to be. It is technically "illegal" to sell dog meat in Korea. Although some Korean restaurants do at risk of losing their restaurant licenses. You couldn't "buy" Korean dog meat anyways since it is not classifed as "livestock" by the Korean government, so it is illegal to trade it overseas or domestically.

Whoever fed you that misinformation isn't exactly doing a service to anybody by spreading false information.

Well that's good news, then.

(But between me and you, finding dog meat in Seoul was extremely easy, although it's been at least ten years since I've been there)

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    enfp

Well that's good news, then.

(But between me and you, finding dog meat in Seoul was extremely easy, although it's been at least ten years since I've been there)
    Yeah, Im sure its not hard to find a dog meat restaurant in a backalley part of Seoul if you tried, but its not as easy as it used to be 20 or so years ago. The younger generation is against it for the most part. There was a huge campaign against it right before the 2002 World Cup.

I would actually want to try it at least once if it was in front of me. But I don't really get an urge to look for it... I would imagine it is one of those meats that smells bad, but tastes good. I have no idea though. I thought eating elk would be like a crazy experience, but it just tasted like beef.