• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tesla is electric!

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
...that's fitting, isn't it?

But seriously, I have some serious problems with static hair. And by that, I don't mean that my hair has zero acceleration and is in constant equilibrium with all other forces acting upon; quite the contrary, actually. I mean that it's fluffed up and CRAZY...to the point that I've been mistaken for Medusa from afar.

My hair clings to walls, windows, the ceiling of my car, and if there's a balloon nearby, forgetaboutit! I can't touch people without shocking them (and no, not because of my goddess-like beauty but because I seem to be a particularly good reservoir for travelling electrons). I want to be able to get along with the people in this world, but I all I do is repel, repel, repel. My hair is insane, and I'm painful to touch. How much worse could it get?

What do I do????! Perhaps I should just hook myself up to a lightbulb and call it a day?

Does anybody have any advice for controlling static in the hair? It only happens in the winter, so obviously it's a dry weather thing, but what are some simple solutions?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I have a similar problem with static electricity. I can't touch most door handles without shocking myself. I was in vegas the past week, touched some hanging metal beads [I like shiny things] and nearly blew myself off my feet. My sister said she saw sparks.

I have narrowed it down to examining my clothing fiber and I noticed that I shuffle my feet a lot when I walk, so maybe that's the reason.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Ohh, I hear you. I'm a foot shuffler.

Do you have dry hair? Wavy or thin? Try shampooing less often or using a moisturizing shampoo, and that should help. You could go *really* alternative, and skip shampoo altogether, and just use a vinegar rinse, and that should totally take care of it.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Ohh, I hear you. I'm a foot shuffler.

Do you have dry hair? Wavy or thin? Try shampooing less often or using a moisturizing shampoo, and that should help.

My hair is naturally pretty curly, but I dry/straighten it usually. It's pretty thick too, and it's dry enough that I don't have to wash everyday. Do you think using some kind of leave-in product would help?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My hair is naturally pretty curly, but I dry/straighten it usually. It's pretty thick too, and it's dry enough that I don't have to wash everyday. Do you think using some kind of leave-in product would help?

Yes. I use a silicone spray made by Ion. It's specifically for using a hair straightner but I use it anytime I use a heat related item on my hair, plus the anti frizz shampoo and conditioner. It keeps the static down to a minimum. I get it at Sally's Beauty Supply.

SBS-302272

rozerdom

I've tried WEN and found that I was using nearly 40 or so pumps because of the length of my hair. I think WEN is really good for your hair; but, the cost expensive. I've heard of people essentially applying the same "conditioner" cleanse to the hair just with a cheaper conditioner (ie, suave, etc). NOt the shampoo, just the conditioner of whatever brand you choose. This is what I'm trying now. Hope this helps!

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I use natural oils on my scalp after shampooing and conditioning - almond in particular. Just a few drops on the scalp directly and a few on the hair itself help a lot. Almond oil also does not have the strong fragrance associated with coconut oil which is pretty commonly used as well. You can use 100% Almond oil from any store but regular grocery stores probably charge a mighty dollar for it. Asian stores would carry several brands with more affordable products - I look for one with no or less additives.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does anybody have any advice for controlling static in the hair? It only happens in the winter, so obviously it's a dry weather thing, but what are some simple solutions?

Move to Florida. It's so humid here, there is zero static electricity in the air.
Louisiana will work for you too.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I use natural oils on my scalp after shampooing and conditioning - almond in particular. Just a few drops on the scalp directly and a few on the hair itself help a lot. Almond oil also does not have the strong fragrance associated with coconut oil which is pretty commonly used as well. You can use 100% Almond oil from any store but regular grocery stores probably charge a mighty dollar for it. Asian stores would carry several brands with more affordable products - I look for one with no or less additives.

Ah, this sounds like an interesting idea.

I actually went out and bought some oily hair product stuff after I saw some responses to this post. It makes sense that oil would work to alleviate the effects of static, but I didn't know if it would make my hair too greasy. It seems to be doing alright though.

I don't know how this thread was reawakened from almost two months ago. Odd...

Move to Florida. It's so humid here, there is zero static electricity in the air.
Louisiana will work for you too.

And I can hardly stand the humidity here in Georgia. I doubt I'd have any luck in the bayou. I really only experience static hair in the winter, but it's been better this past month, as it won't stop fucking raining here.

Mole

Permabanned
I have very fine hair and the best advice I ever received was to stop using shampoo and only use conditioner instead.

And I find a good conditioner is better than a cheaper conditioner.

And after I wash my hair in conditioner, I am told my hair looks wonderful.