• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Air Purifiers

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Does anyone have experience with air purification units for household use, and how effective they are?

I've been poking around the internet for information but except for the most expensive units reviews are very mixed. I don't need a hospital grade unit... I just want something basic to remove dust and allergins from my apartment, but in an effective manner. If that requires an expensive unit, well okay, but I'd hope there is a mid-range unit that should do the job.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I've got one. Unless you have a significant amount of dust or fires nearby or some other anomaly, not usually worth it.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I've got one. Unless you have a significant amount of dust or fires nearby or some other anomaly, not usually worth it.

I own a cat and I live in a 600 sqft apartment.

I noticed in the summer for a period of a couple months that I had a huge surge of energy. I'd wake up refreshed every morning rather than drowsy and tired. Then when I closed up my windows for the season, bam, tired every morning.

ubiquitous1

I have a German Shepard (sheds like crazy) and a cat, and the Oreck 12b. or 12gu. air purifiers work well for me. These cleaners clean 900 sq.ft and you can find them on EBay for less than $250 new, but through an Oreck dealer expect to pay $350 and up.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I own a cat and I live in a 600 sqft apartment.

I noticed in the summer for a period of a couple months that I had a huge surge of energy. I'd wake up refreshed every morning rather than drowsy and tired. Then when I closed up my windows for the season, bam, tired every morning.

I don't know what latitude you live in but I experience something similar. I get kind of SAD. Has nothing to do with dust though.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I don't know what latitude you live in but I experience something similar. I get kind of SAD. Has nothing to do with dust though.

Hmm. I suppose it could also be seasonal. I'll have to do some reading. I'm in southern manitoba (canada). Today we have 8h 21m of sunlight. I think we go between 8 and 16 depending on the month.

I'm still going to exhaust this avenue first though - I know my sinuses are crap indoors but it's always been something I've simply tolerated.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hey there, I was in northern Manitoba in a small apartment the last few years and have never experienced so much tiredness. The springtime/summer surge though is wonderful!! I don't know if this has to do with air completely. The light for us is definitely a contributing factor. (I used to live in Grande Prairie, AB which is about 4-5 hours north of Edmonton and summers were amazing for energy levels.

I have used just your basic Walmart air purifier and it seemed to do a pretty good job though. I think any way that you can avoid overloading your immune system is good, so it is a worthwhile investment. I think I paid about 50 bucks for mine.