• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Freeganism

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Freeganism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Freeganism is an anti-consumerist lifestyle whereby people employ alternative living strategies based on "limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources". Freegans "embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed."[1] The lifestyle involves salvaging discarded, unspoiled food from supermarket dumpsters, known as dumpster diving.

I like the idea. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't try dumpster diving unless I was really pushed to the limits, considering the food is most likely old and/or expired; but I like the notion of community sharing and anti-consumerism that Freeganism embraces. The article mentions the Freegan-based idea of having an "urban garden" where people can grow their own produce for others to pick sounds fantastic, imo, because it promotes self-sufficiency in a world that advocates superfluous reliance on consumerism.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Eh, sure why not.

I watched an episode of 'Wife Swap' where the family was like the above. They lived in a little hippie community and did some freaky/disgusting shit with their trash. Something about never actually getting rid of it. Fucked up way to live I say. The world is about greed, get with the times homie.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I watched an episode of 'Wife Swap' where the family was like the above. They lived in a little hippie community and did some freaky/disgusting shit with their trash. Something about never actually getting rid of it. Fucked up way to live I say. The world is about greed, get with the times homie.
OK, but I'm not advocating a hippie-lifestyle nor am I advocating dumpster-diving. I'm only advocating the idea that people could share just a little maybe, as opposed to being materialistic consuming assholes.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
OK, but I'm not advocating a hippie-lifestyle nor am I advocating dumpster-diving. I'm only advocating the idea that people could share just a little maybe, as opposed to being materialistic consuming assholes.

Yes, because that's what everyone always is.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, because that's what everyone always is.
Well, sorry, let me clarify. I didn't mean everyone else was a materialistic, over-consuming asshole, I mean that a vast majority of people rely on consumerism too much. I apologize.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think it's a cool idea. There's a good number of people doing it, and they seem happy, so it's successful.

People need to know that there are alternative lifestyles out there. So many aren't cut out for the rat race and are miserable, and would be happier doing something like this, but never do.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well, sorry, let me clarify. I didn't mean everyone else was a materialistic, over-consuming asshole, I mean that a vast majority of people rely on consumerism too much. I apologize.

Define "consumerism," "too much," and why this is a bad thing, instead of just a reactionary thing.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Define "consumerism," "too much," and why this is a bad thing, instead of just a reactionary thing.
What I'm saying is, some people aren't self-sufficient for whatever reason and rely on other people and things for the products that they consume. Maybe using the "consumerism" was a bad way to describe it.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I definitely read the title wrong! :D HAH!

Nah. Bad idea. BAAAAAD idea.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
What I'm saying is, some people aren't self-sufficient for whatever reason and rely on other people and things for the products that they consume. Maybe using the "consumerism" was a bad way to describe it.

I thought that was called living in a society that didn't require subsistence farming to live? :huh:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In any society where competition does not drive humanity to become better, the standard of living decreases dramatically. History has taught us that this kind of thinking is better as a CONCEPT but in reality, competition is what drives us, makes us have ideas, and gives us the impetus to change.

Most people do not want change and development on their own accord. You have to PUSH them. Without the PUSH, there is no success. Often this push is the fear of loss, and that's too bad, but it is the truth.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
In any society where competition does not drive humanity to become better, the standard of living decreases dramatically.

I don't know, US society is much more competitive than in Northern Europe, which is more egalitarian, and they have the higher standards of living.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't know, US society is much more competitive than in Northern Europe, which is more egalitarian, and they have the higher standards of living.

I'm pretty sure this has to do with factors that won't be solved by any amount of dumpster diving.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty sure this has to do with factors that won't be solved by any amount of dumpster diving.

+1

It's useless surface treatment once again, without grasping the bigger picture. It has no significant impact on society, and I'm pretty sure that won't change.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Yeah I'm talking more about basic egalitarianism, which seems to raise quality of life in countries that base a certain amount of policy off of it. Scavenging wouldn't work on a large scale, someone has to do the producing.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yeah I'm talking more about basic egalitarianism, which seems to raise quality of life in countries that base a certain amount of policy off of it. Scavenging wouldn't work on a large scale, someone has to do the producing.

If everyone was freegan, no one would eat.

This isn't sustainable or community-building or anything, it's just parasitic.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
If everyone was freegan, no one would eat.

This isn't sustainable or community-building or anything, it's just parasitic.

Which is why eco-communalism would be a better alternative on a large scale. They're self-sufficient. A similar idea.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Hmmmph....I think every kid in North America over age 16, should be given $100, and barred from returning home for 6 months.

You would find out who the parasites are.

And they would find out TANSTAAFL.