123 Last

Thread: Freeganism

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Freeganism

Freeganism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Freeganism is an anti-consumerist lifestyle whereby people employ alternative living strategies based on "limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources". Freegans "embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed."[1] The lifestyle involves salvaging discarded, unspoiled food from supermarket dumpsters, known as dumpster diving.
    I like the idea. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't try dumpster diving unless I was really pushed to the limits, considering the food is most likely old and/or expired; but I like the notion of community sharing and anti-consumerism that Freeganism embraces. The article mentions the Freegan-based idea of having an "urban garden" where people can grow their own produce for others to pick sounds fantastic, imo, because it promotes self-sufficiency in a world that advocates superfluous reliance on consumerism.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Sounds like hippieism.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Sounds like hippieism.
    Eh, sure why not.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    Eh, sure why not.
    I watched an episode of 'Wife Swap' where the family was like the above. They lived in a little hippie community and did some freaky/disgusting shit with their trash. Something about never actually getting rid of it. Fucked up way to live I say. The world is about greed, get with the times homie.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    I watched an episode of 'Wife Swap' where the family was like the above. They lived in a little hippie community and did some freaky/disgusting shit with their trash. Something about never actually getting rid of it. Fucked up way to live I say. The world is about greed, get with the times homie.
    OK, but I'm not advocating a hippie-lifestyle nor am I advocating dumpster-diving. I'm only advocating the idea that people could share just a little maybe, as opposed to being materialistic consuming assholes.

MBTI
    ENFJ

OK, but I'm not advocating a hippie-lifestyle nor am I advocating dumpster-diving. I'm only advocating the idea that people could share just a little maybe, as opposed to being materialistic consuming assholes.
    Yes, because that's what everyone always is.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Yes, because that's what everyone always is.
    Well, sorry, let me clarify. I didn't mean everyone else was a materialistic, over-consuming asshole, I mean that a vast majority of people rely on consumerism too much. I apologize.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think it's a cool idea. There's a good number of people doing it, and they seem happy, so it's successful.

People need to know that there are alternative lifestyles out there. So many aren't cut out for the rat race and are miserable, and would be happier doing something like this, but never do.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Well, sorry, let me clarify. I didn't mean everyone else was a materialistic, over-consuming asshole, I mean that a vast majority of people rely on consumerism too much. I apologize.
    Define "consumerism," "too much," and why this is a bad thing, instead of just a reactionary thing.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Define "consumerism," "too much," and why this is a bad thing, instead of just a reactionary thing.
    What I'm saying is, some people aren't self-sufficient for whatever reason and rely on other people and things for the products that they consume. Maybe using the "consumerism" was a bad way to describe it.