• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Freeganism

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Which is why eco-communalism would be a better alternative on a large scale. They're self-sufficient. A similar idea.

What exactly would this entail? I've never heard of it.

Hmmmph....I think every kid in North America over age 16, should be given $100, and barred from returning home for 6 months.

You would find out who the parasites are.

And they would find out TANSTAAFL.

Kay, thanks for the rape! :hi:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Oh Puleaze.

:)

There are so many places around here that I would not want to be outside with a hundred dollars at night. Or be without a weapon at night. Or be my height at night. Or be a woman at night. Or be at night.

Yeah, thanks for the mugging and rape and probably murder.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
There are so many places around here that I would not want to be outside with a hundred dollars at night. Or be without a weapon at night. Or be my height at night. Or be a woman at night. Or be at night.

Yeah, thanks for the mugging and rape and probably murder.

It's about learning to take care of yourself. Instead of expecting others to do it for you.

Lesson #1: Don't hang around places where the likelihood of those things happening are high. And if you don't have a choice, learn to defend yourself.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Being a parasite is fine and dandy when you're in need -- see minors, maternity leave, unemployment benefits, soup kitchens, etc.

But you CANNOT base a society on everyone scavenging for food that other people won't buy. Once people stop buying food in favor of scavenging for it, nobody will produce it and then there will be none of it. If you want a community to support and help support you because you are principled that way, go live on a kibbutz.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It's about learning to take care of yourself. Instead of expecting others to do it for you.

Lesson #1: Don't hang around places where the likelihood of those things happening are high. And if you don't have a choice, learn to defend yourself.

BUT THAT'S EVERYWHERE. IT'S THE MOST DANGEROUS CITY IN THE UNITED STATES. THE SURVIVAL RATE HERE OF IS LOWER THAN AN AMERICAN TOURIST IN A HAWAIIAN SHIRT IN SAUDI ARABIA. Give me one hundred dollars and a fully-loaded armored tank and I'll take up your challenge.

And don't even get me STARTED on how they treat vagrants in Brazil. Do you understand the meaning of the word "genocide"?

You really hate young people. I understand that. But please, take it out by being the hook-handed man brutally murdering kids making out on the lake instead of making societal suggestions.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
BUT THAT'S EVERYWHERE. IT'S THE MOST DANGEROUS CITY IN THE UNITED STATES. THE SURVIVAL RATE HERE OF IS LOWER THAN AN AMERICAN TOURIST IN A HAWAIIAN SHIRT IN SAUDI ARABIA. Give me one hundred dollars and a fully-loaded armored tank and I'll take up your challenge.

And don't even get me STARTED on how they treat vagrants in Brazil. Do you understand the meaning of the word "genocide"?

You really hate young people. I understand that. But please, take it out by being the hook-handed man brutally murdering kids making out on the lake instead of making societal suggestions.

Um.

Wow.

What state do you live in?

As I was going to state before I previewed my post and saw your impending meltdown. Society is broken in many ways, in my opinion.

I don't hate young people. And I was speaking of North American society. Not the rest of the world. I find the United States spends too much time putting out fires elsewhere in the world, when the house is burning down around us at home.

I would tell you something about my early life by PM if you wanted to know.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
See, now that makes some sense. I can't see the majority of the United States doing it, though.

It might happen out of necessity one day. Economic collapse, peak oil, war, natural calamity... probably not.

More likely, if it is to become more popular, it will be by people one by one dropping out of mainstream society out of dissatisfaction. I'm not sure what the current trends are, but I think the whole "simple living" movement is growing.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It might happen out of necessity one day. Economic collapse, peak oil, war, natural calamity... probably not.

More likely, if it is to become more popular, it will be by people one by one dropping out of mainstream society out of dissatisfaction. I'm not sure what the current trends are, but I think the whole "simple living" movement is growing.

Places like these need to, ironically, advertise better. I've seen so many people complain about consumerist lifestyle but I'm pretty sure many of them don't know about alternatives.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Places like these need to, ironically, advertise better. I've seen so many people complain about consumerist lifestyle but I'm pretty sure many of them don't know about alternatives.

That's very true. Even the movie Into The Wild motivated a good number of middle-class kids to try survivalism in Alaska. Too bad they didn't watch a few episodes of Survivorman first.

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
LMAO I actually agree with most of their views, too. I'm already preparing myself to live like that..when I get out of school

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Freeganism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like the idea. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't try dumpster diving unless I was really pushed to the limits, considering the food is most likely old and/or expired; but I like the notion of community sharing and anti-consumerism that Freeganism embraces. The article mentions the Freegan-based idea of having an "urban garden" where people can grow their own produce for others to pick sounds fantastic, imo, because it promotes self-sufficiency in a world that advocates superfluous reliance on consumerism.

Wait, do the growers get paid, or do they just do all the work and then some other random people get to do the eating?

I volunteer to be in the "doing the eating" group.

Side note: check out Dunkin Donuts after they close. Trashbag full of free donuts and muffins (and maybe coffee grounds, just brush those off). Been there, done that. :yes:

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Also, now that I have skimmed the thread.

I'll add this somewhat related note.

I used to work for a junk removal company. I would regularly take things off jobs and sell them. I made about $2500 (and still going) just selling about 2-3% of all the things I threw into the dump as part of my employment.

My stoner co-workers laughed at me, "you're never going to be able to sell that" they'd tell me. I doubled my paychecks some weeks. I no longer work there, but I KNOW that they throw tons and tons of cash down the tubes daily. There is big money in trash.

BTW, the 18.5" LCD flat panel in front of me: "trash" from office clearout.

The computer I'm building (IBM ThinkCentre, 3 GHz, + 80GB HD, + DVD burner, Win XP, 1 GB RAM, maybe upgrade sound card) will be a combo of two "trash" computers I got on the job. And the Linksys wireless router to go with it, trash.

Not to mention my bedside table (2), a futon, an air mattress, some of those fancy Elfa (Metro) shelving units, a nice wall organizer, a nice tv, a nice coffee table, all my kitchen utensils...a Canon printer that is $500 new...the leather ottoman I'm sitting on...and a bunch more was all stuff I got for a grand total of $0.

"Trash."

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
^exactly!

I worked at KFC, I certainly wouldn't do dumpster diving, ever, unless the store worked with me on it. A (well known bread shop) around here donates all their left overs to our Bible study, we all get to take home a bag of day old bagels. It's awesome.

I agree with Hap, this really is living off other people, if you really want to "change the world" then work with what to do with the extra food left. Reduce, reuse, recycle, repair, how often do people really do that? How many people throw away useable items and don't repair their older items?

I'm not sure I know many people who are actually earth conscious except my Grandma cause she is dirt cheap and my father in law because he doesn't like to waste. Their environmental effects are probably incredibly smaller than most so called environmentalists.

I liked going to California and watching all the people desperately watering their "lawns" in a naturally no grass area.

/soapbox

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I liked going to California and watching all the people desperately watering their "lawns" in a naturally no grass area.

I had a naive impression of California being this environmentally conscious culture until I moved there and people were driving bigger gas guzzling SUV's than they do in the midwest where almost everyone owns a huge truck. And yes the water they waste on non-native plants all over the landscaping must be insane.