User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Thread: Freeganism

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It might happen out of necessity one day. Economic collapse, peak oil, war, natural calamity... probably not.

More likely, if it is to become more popular, it will be by people one by one dropping out of mainstream society out of dissatisfaction. I'm not sure what the current trends are, but I think the whole "simple living" movement is growing.
    Places like these need to, ironically, advertise better. I've seen so many people complain about consumerist lifestyle but I'm pretty sure many of them don't know about alternatives.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Places like these need to, ironically, advertise better. I've seen so many people complain about consumerist lifestyle but I'm pretty sure many of them don't know about alternatives.
    That's very true. Even the movie Into The Wild motivated a good number of middle-class kids to try survivalism in Alaska. Too bad they didn't watch a few episodes of Survivorman first.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    That's very true. Even the movie Into The Wild motivated a good number of middle-class kids to try survivalism in Alaska. Too bad they didn't watch a few episodes of Survivorman first.
    ...oops
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

LOL this thread.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

LMAO I actually agree with most of their views, too. I'm already preparing myself to live like that..when I get out of school
    <3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh, wait. I just read the dumpster diving bit
    <3

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    Freeganism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like the idea. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't try dumpster diving unless I was really pushed to the limits, considering the food is most likely old and/or expired; but I like the notion of community sharing and anti-consumerism that Freeganism embraces. The article mentions the Freegan-based idea of having an "urban garden" where people can grow their own produce for others to pick sounds fantastic, imo, because it promotes self-sufficiency in a world that advocates superfluous reliance on consumerism.
    Wait, do the growers get paid, or do they just do all the work and then some other random people get to do the eating?

I volunteer to be in the "doing the eating" group.

Side note: check out Dunkin Donuts after they close. Trashbag full of free donuts and muffins (and maybe coffee grounds, just brush those off). Been there, done that.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

Also, now that I have skimmed the thread.

I'll add this somewhat related note.

I used to work for a junk removal company. I would regularly take things off jobs and sell them. I made about $2500 (and still going) just selling about 2-3% of all the things I threw into the dump as part of my employment.

My stoner co-workers laughed at me, "you're never going to be able to sell that" they'd tell me. I doubled my paychecks some weeks. I no longer work there, but I KNOW that they throw tons and tons of cash down the tubes daily. There is big money in trash.

BTW, the 18.5" LCD flat panel in front of me: "trash" from office clearout.

The computer I'm building (IBM ThinkCentre, 3 GHz, + 80GB HD, + DVD burner, Win XP, 1 GB RAM, maybe upgrade sound card) will be a combo of two "trash" computers I got on the job. And the Linksys wireless router to go with it, trash.

Not to mention my bedside table (2), a futon, an air mattress, some of those fancy Elfa (Metro) shelving units, a nice wall organizer, a nice tv, a nice coffee table, all my kitchen utensils...a Canon printer that is $500 new...the leather ottoman I'm sitting on...and a bunch more was all stuff I got for a grand total of $0.

"Trash."
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

^exactly!

I worked at KFC, I certainly wouldn't do dumpster diving, ever, unless the store worked with me on it. A (well known bread shop) around here donates all their left overs to our Bible study, we all get to take home a bag of day old bagels. It's awesome.

I agree with Hap, this really is living off other people, if you really want to "change the world" then work with what to do with the extra food left. Reduce, reuse, recycle, repair, how often do people really do that? How many people throw away useable items and don't repair their older items?

I'm not sure I know many people who are actually earth conscious except my Grandma cause she is dirt cheap and my father in law because he doesn't like to waste. Their environmental effects are probably incredibly smaller than most so called environmentalists.

I liked going to California and watching all the people desperately watering their "lawns" in a naturally no grass area.

/soapbox

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I liked going to California and watching all the people desperately watering their "lawns" in a naturally no grass area.
    I had a naive impression of California being this environmentally conscious culture until I moved there and people were driving bigger gas guzzling SUV's than they do in the midwest where almost everyone owns a huge truck. And yes the water they waste on non-native plants all over the landscaping must be insane.