User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Freeganism

  1. #11
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    I definitely read the title wrong! HAH!

    Nah. Bad idea. BAAAAAD idea.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  2. #12
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    What I'm saying is, some people aren't self-sufficient for whatever reason and rely on other people and things for the products that they consume. Maybe using the "consumerism" was a bad way to describe it.
    I thought that was called living in a society that didn't require subsistence farming to live?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  3. #13
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    In any society where competition does not drive humanity to become better, the standard of living decreases dramatically. History has taught us that this kind of thinking is better as a CONCEPT but in reality, competition is what drives us, makes us have ideas, and gives us the impetus to change.

    Most people do not want change and development on their own accord. You have to PUSH them. Without the PUSH, there is no success. Often this push is the fear of loss, and that's too bad, but it is the truth.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  4. #14
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    In any society where competition does not drive humanity to become better, the standard of living decreases dramatically.
    I don't know, US society is much more competitive than in Northern Europe, which is more egalitarian, and they have the higher standards of living.

  5. #15
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I don't know, US society is much more competitive than in Northern Europe, which is more egalitarian, and they have the higher standards of living.
    I'm pretty sure this has to do with factors that won't be solved by any amount of dumpster diving.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  6. #16
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I'm pretty sure this has to do with factors that won't be solved by any amount of dumpster diving.
    +1

    It's useless surface treatment once again, without grasping the bigger picture. It has no significant impact on society, and I'm pretty sure that won't change.

  7. #17
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I'm pretty sure this has to do with factors that won't be solved by any amount of dumpster diving.
    Yeah I'm talking more about basic egalitarianism, which seems to raise quality of life in countries that base a certain amount of policy off of it. Scavenging wouldn't work on a large scale, someone has to do the producing.

  8. #18
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah I'm talking more about basic egalitarianism, which seems to raise quality of life in countries that base a certain amount of policy off of it. Scavenging wouldn't work on a large scale, someone has to do the producing.
    If everyone was freegan, no one would eat.

    This isn't sustainable or community-building or anything, it's just parasitic.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  9. #19
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    If everyone was freegan, no one would eat.

    This isn't sustainable or community-building or anything, it's just parasitic.
    Which is why eco-communalism would be a better alternative on a large scale. They're self-sufficient. A similar idea.

  10. #20
    Charting a course
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Hmmmph....I think every kid in North America over age 16, should be given $100, and barred from returning home for 6 months.

    You would find out who the parasites are.

    And they would find out TANSTAAFL.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO