User Tag List

123 Last

Default Cheap and Good wine.

so i was posting a blog about four-hour search for a non-vintage, cheap, good wine that I used to drink in my hot, orgiastic college years and I finally found a store or two that carried it. It's usually about $10 per bottle and I stumbled across a store that was selling ALL of their wines for 30% off, which means this particular wine was only $7/bottle. Anyway, I finally got home about 7pm and it's 7:35pm and my first bottle of Cristalino Spanish Cava is already gone. It was warm when I opened it, but I had the foresight to put the second bottle in the freezer. This isn't the best sparkling wine I've tasted, but it is absolutely one of the best for the price tag. I used to buy 2 cases of this stuff a month and consumed it at a similar rate. I would like to know if anyone else on this forum has any recommendations for wines(not the usual cheap grocery wines) that are inexpensive but also absolutely delicious.

I've added a link to the wine I referred to above, if you post a wine review link with your reply, it would be most sexy. thanks!.

Cristalino Brut Cava
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

My favorite inexpensive wine at the moment is Columbia Crest's Horse Heaven Hills (H^3) Cabernet Sauvignon. It's about $12-$13 per bottle, and it is a great wine for the money. Go for it!

Great thread idea, BTW.

--------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Wow, wine is crazy expensive in the US.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Cheap? Turning Leaf merlot, Barefoot chardonnay, Polka Dot riesling. There are others, but those are decent.

Two Buck Chuck at Trader Joe's. It's not great, but a $2 wine that tastes like $8 is a bargain in my book.

For slightly pricier wine ($10-$15) I really like the wines from Little Penguin and Rabbit Ridge.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    YaYa

yellow tail is pretty good for its price. You can usually find it at most grocery stores.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

You can get many decent wines for 10-12$ here. I think yellowtail is around 12$ usually and I like that one.

What I would call a cheap wine is fuzion (the shiraz) which goes for around 7$ and I think it's entirely drinkable (note: I am not a wine snob)

I think students have a different idea of "cheap" than all you working people, lol...
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

I think students have a different idea of "cheap" than all you working people, lol...
    Yeah, when I was student I bought the $5 gallon jug of generic red and the 24 pack of Milwaukee's Beast.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    You can get many decent wines for 10-12$ here. I think yellowtail is around 12$ usually and I like that one.
    I can find it around $7-9 bottle where I'm at.

For $12, I'd have totally different recommendations.

Here in Cali, for $11, there is a general table red called Red Truck, very good.

Mark West has a DOPE pinot noir. Almost hits the 90s in rating. Goes for about $12-13.

MBTI
    INFJ

My favorites right now are La Vielle Ferme Rouge and La Vielle Ferme Blanc, which I can find on sale for $6.99. Other favorites are Fat Bastard Chardonnay for about $10 and Osborne Solaz Tempranillo for $9. By the way, these are all from a great book called The Wine Trials by Robin Goldstein, who ran thousands of blind taste testings all over the country of expensive and inexpensive wines and came up with a list of 100 wines under $15 that in many cases beat out much more expensive wines.