• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cheap and Good wine.

LEGERdeMAIN

so i was posting a blog about four-hour search for a non-vintage, cheap, good wine that I used to drink in my hot, orgiastic college years and I finally found a store or two that carried it. It's usually about $10 per bottle and I stumbled across a store that was selling ALL of their wines for 30% off, which means this particular wine was only $7/bottle. Anyway, I finally got home about 7pm and it's 7:35pm and my first bottle of Cristalino Spanish Cava is already gone. It was warm when I opened it, but I had the foresight to put the second bottle in the freezer. This isn't the best sparkling wine I've tasted, but it is absolutely one of the best for the price tag. I used to buy 2 cases of this stuff a month and consumed it at a similar rate. I would like to know if anyone else on this forum has any recommendations for wines(not the usual cheap grocery wines) that are inexpensive but also absolutely delicious.

I've added a link to the wine I referred to above, if you post a wine review link with your reply, it would be most sexy. thanks!.

Cristalino Brut Cava

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My favorite inexpensive wine at the moment is Columbia Crest's Horse Heaven Hills (H^3) Cabernet Sauvignon. It's about $12-$13 per bottle, and it is a great wine for the money. Go for it!

1041278x.jpg

Great thread idea, BTW.

:cheers:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Wow, wine is crazy expensive in the US.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Cheap? Turning Leaf merlot, Barefoot chardonnay, Polka Dot riesling. There are others, but those are decent.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Two Buck Chuck at Trader Joe's. It's not great, but a $2 wine that tastes like $8 is a bargain in my book.

For slightly pricier wine ($10-$15) I really like the wines from Little Penguin and Rabbit Ridge.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can get many decent wines for 10-12$ here. I think yellowtail is around 12$ usually and I like that one.

What I would call a cheap wine is fuzion (the shiraz) which goes for around 7$ and I think it's entirely drinkable (note: I am not a wine snob)

I think students have a different idea of "cheap" than all you working people, lol...

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
You can get many decent wines for 10-12$ here. I think yellowtail is around 12$ usually and I like that one.

I can find it around $7-9 bottle where I'm at.

For $12, I'd have totally different recommendations.

Here in Cali, for $11, there is a general table red called Red Truck, very good.

Mark West has a DOPE pinot noir. Almost hits the 90s in rating. Goes for about $12-13.

Lily Bart

MBTI Type
INFP
My favorites right now are La Vielle Ferme Rouge and La Vielle Ferme Blanc, which I can find on sale for $6.99. Other favorites are Fat Bastard Chardonnay for about $10 and Osborne Solaz Tempranillo for $9. By the way, these are all from a great book called The Wine Trials by Robin Goldstein, who ran thousands of blind taste testings all over the country of expensive and inexpensive wines and came up with a list of 100 wines under $15 that in many cases beat out much more expensive wines.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
how did I miss this?! :shock:

bogle petite sirah is one of my favorites
also ravenswood vintners blend zin
rosemont shiraz isn't bad either for the money

all of those are about $8.99 here :)

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
default is santa florentina malbec-syrah, $8.65.
two buck chuck shiraz will do when i'm states-side

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Two Buck Chuck at Trader Joe's. It's not great, but a $2 wine that tastes like $8 is a bargain in my book.

For slightly pricier wine ($10-$15) I really like the wines from Little Penguin and Rabbit Ridge.

2 buck chuck ftw!!

It really does taste damn good for $2.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Bull's Blood, from Eger in Hungary, is a nice dry red.

Back in the 90s it used to be pants, but they've got their act together. It's cheap - but not that cheap.

EgriBikaver.jpg

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pine Ridge - Viognier/Chenin Blanc :happy2:

Amazing off dry white for around $20.

Francois Montand Champagne (technically not a champagne as it is made right outside the province) but it is around 10 and is amazing.

Bodegas Ateca (Atteca) 2007 is a Spanish Grenache that's really nice for around 15.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
anyone have tips for good pinot noir's from california?

It shouldnt be over $25-35

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
anyone have tips for good pinot noir's from california?

I have a tip for opportunistic wine-buying. It's a useful one.

Years ago, my house mate and I used to have a greasy English breakfast over the Saturday newspapers, in a grubby cafe in Wandsworth. The Guardian used to have a wine column by Martin Gluck - Cheapo Wines For Middle Class Knobs Like You, or some such.

We'd drive to the supermarket with a few ideas, but invariably someone had got there first and they'd be only a few bottles of Martin's choice recommendations left, tucked away right at the back of the shelf.

If I see an empty shelf, with a few bottles right at the back, I'll buy them. I've never had a bad one yet. In other words, don't look for the wine. Look for the lack of wine.

And without the hassle of buying The Guardian.

:)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not good at remembering names....but I like this red blend wine which is about $8: Folie a Deux Menage a Trois Red

I am not a fan of two buck chuck, for the record. I tried it once, and never again....

I am lucky to live near wine country and get very good local wines that retail for $15-25 normally for more like $10-15 (or even $5-7 on sale) because there's little to no shipping cost.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I was looking for a decent Pinot Noir at the supermarket and I found an Argentinian Salentein Reserve Pinot Noir 2007 to around $11 here in denmark. Its a bit alcoholic, but when its decantated for an hour or more it gets a lot more full in the taste and smell. The alcohol is still there but the fruits of the wine are so much more out there. Its a decent buy for a different kind of tablewine than the usual kind. I will buy this to people that needs a different kind of taste than the usual cabernet sauvignon of the southern americas. I had a Malbec and a cabernet sauvignon from south america the day before and eventhough the Malbec had a more full taste, more cherry taste and a more portwine texture, Id still go for the Salentein Pinot Noir if I could choose.

chasingAJ

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
FIVE
Dynamite Cabernet Sauvignon is about $15 a bottle and is often compared to $40 bottles. Of all the cheap red wines, this one is the best IMO. I can't explain tastes to other people in a way that makes any sense but for $15 (you can find it on sale at the grocery store for $10ish) you should give it a go.