Thread: Palm trees make edible fruit?

RiseOnTheWingsOf Ambition Array Risen's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Palm trees make edible fruit?

I just discovered this thanks to the internet :P . If you live in Cali or Florida, you know these trees are ALL OVER the place and sometimes produce those big bunches of fruits that look like grapes. Ok, so apparently those are actually dates, and they are edible. Go figure! :P I never knew you could actually eat those things, though I had been wondering about them. Has anyone here ever eaten the fruits from any of the commonly grown palm trees? The next time I see some producing fruit I'll probably ask if I can't collect them for myself. I suspect the squat/short palm varieties would be much easier to get to though.
    "They say love is loyalty and loyalty is love...well u can keep the love cuz id rather have loyalty."

9>w5>w8

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Post Thanks / Like

I know if you buy ornamental plants at the store (such as ornamental peppers) you shouldn't eat them because they may be treated with pesticides that are not for human consumption. You might run into the same problem with (ornamental?) palm trees.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I know if you buy ornamental plants at the store (such as ornamental peppers) you shouldn't eat them because they may be treated with pesticides that are not for human consumption. You might run into the same problem with (ornamental?) palm trees.
    Yea, I was wondering about that. It'd probably be best to ask around before I go collecting any fruit :P . But it's good to know that if for some reason I were stranded out in the middle of nowhere incali, there are plenty of palms around for fruit, lol.
    "They say love is loyalty and loyalty is love...well u can keep the love cuz id rather have loyalty."

9>w5>w8

Senior Member Array Digital Demi-Fiend's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Post Thanks / Like

Seen em, don't touch em though.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently the most common type we have down here, the mexican fan palm, makes decent fruit for eating. Native American cultures would use the fruits for eating and the seeds to make a meal for their breads. Perfectly edible. There is another variety called the Queen palm which is also common, but the fruit is not as good (still edible though). I say if you can eat it, take it. Times are tough. Why let good fruit go to waste? :P

9>w5>w8

Senior Member Array Digital Demi-Fiend's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Times are tough. Why let good fruit go to waste? :P
    Times ain't that tough.

Seriously though, I haven't seen many where I am as opposed to when I lived three blocks away from the beach as a kid.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, if you were desperate, you can cut into several species of palm tree and eat the "Heart of palm" as it is called. It does kill the plant, though.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, Risen, if you can harvest the natural growing fruit for free, why wouldn't you, right? it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselephant View Post
    Also, if you were desperate, you can cut into several species of palm tree and eat the "Heart of palm" as it is called. It does kill the plant, though.
    palm hearts are pretty popular in latin and south america. they are expensive though, usually, so i guess that they are something of a delicacy. they sell them in stores around the world too.

we have coconut palms here. i found out that it takes a full year for a coconut fruit to grow, to become completely ripe. and the biggest trees can produce a few hundred coconuts per year! the smaller trees obviously produce a lot less.
    when they harvest coconuts here they just climb up the tree. some of them use a leather strap around their ankles to climb easier, but a lot of the experienced harvesters just climb up. and of course everyone that climbs, climbs trees barefoot.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a palm tree in my apartment complex that is currently putting out a huge bunch of fruits, and its juuust about the right height for me to reach... pith a ladder or something :P . I'll have to sneak out there really late at night when the fruits ripen so I don't look strange as fuck. I think maybe its a Queen palm, but I'm crossing my fingers that it might be something better :P .

9>w5>w8

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    Post Thanks / Like

Dates rock. I ate them all the time overseas.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge