• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Palm trees make edible fruit?

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
If the City does the maintenance, call and find out how they treat them, if it's on private property call the owner and ask who does the upkeep and call them in regard to weird chemicals which is probably unlikely. In the north it is common for people to have apple, oak, pear trees etc. and never harvest. The amount of food wasted is unbelievable when you think about it. There is a documentary called "Meet the Foxes" about how there are wild foxes all over London and other major urban centers in the U.K. Too bad you can't eat them though because naive hippies who think they understand nature feed them cake and shit.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I know what you mean Risen, I have tried to eat them with some of my friends but the taste wasn't really that spectacular. Other types of fruits taste a lot better, IMHO; pears, nuts, olives, oranges

Now coconuts are a whole different story, but I reckon they only grow in tropical areas. Perhaps in Miami you can find coconut palms, but cali is likely too dry.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
My wife and I went to Vancouver, B.C. about 7 years ago. They are about the same latitude as New York I think, maybe a bit more North. Anyway, we were very surprised to see three varieties of palms (Pindo Plams, and Windmill Palms, and King Sagos) planted OUTDOORS around the perimeter of a large public park that is on the water. We freaked out. The winters there are very cold, but I guess by the sea the salt in the water/air keeps these anomolous palms from ever freezing and perishing. It's truly cool to see them that far North.

Wow, Vancouver? It's actually much more North than NYC (NYC being 40th parallel, Vancouver 49th, same as central Germany). :shock: :shock: I would have never though palms could survive anywhere above the 46th parallel (where is located highest-latitude palm garden of the world, or so they say:
Palmenwaldbrissagoinsel.jpg
(Switzerland))

Anyway, here we are approximately at the same latitude as Ottawa but we do have palm trees, since as Eric B says the Alps block almost all the artic air during the winter.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow, Vancouver? It's actually much more North than NYC (NYC being 40th parallel, Vancouver 49th, same as central Germany). :shock: :shock: I would have never though palms could survive anywhere above the 46th parallel (where is located highest-latitude palm garden of the world, or so they say:
Palmenwaldbrissagoinsel.jpg
(Switzerland))

Anyway, here we are approximately at the same latitude as Ottawa but we do have palm trees, since as Eric B says the Alps block almost all the artic air during the winter.

WOW. I must go to the garden in that photo. Are you serious that is in Switzerland?! :shocking:

Here's some images of Maclay Gardens (Alfred Maclay was one of the heirs of the family that invented margarine = LOADED.)

Palms are not the centerpiece of this garden. It has a very eclectic blend of established old trees and shrubs, including Live Oaks, Camelias, Sasanquas, Azaleas, Pindo Plams, Cabbage Palms, King Sago Palms, Windmill Palms, Needle Palms, Palmettos, Roses, Bamboo, Ponds, Walkways, a Lake, etc. It's just ridiculously well laid out and very scenic. I take my wife and kids there about twice per year. It's right down the street from my house, just a few miles. Ironically it is in full bloom in the winter, from now until March...

I have several years of personal photos taken here, but I would have to go through my hard drive to find them, until I do, here's some from the Interwebs:

maclaypan.jpg

image00099.jpg

0040.jpg

DP001541.jpg

MAC-CameliaNBricks-JenniferMann.jpg

MAC-MaclayStateGardens3-JohnBCrowe.jpg

alfred_maclay_garden_600x.jpg

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I just discovered this thanks to the internet :p . If you live in Cali or Florida, you know these trees are ALL OVER the place and sometimes produce those big bunches of fruits that look like grapes. Ok, so apparently those are actually dates, and they are edible. Go figure! :p I never knew you could actually eat those things, though I had been wondering about them. Has anyone here ever eaten the fruits from any of the commonly grown palm trees? The next time I see some producing fruit I'll probably ask if I can't collect them for myself. I suspect the squat/short palm varieties would be much easier to get to though.

:doh:

You can buy those dates in the supermarket over in Holland and we have to travel at least 500 miles to see the first palm tree.

That doesn't mean we can't make beautiful parks (just posting a picture to compete with the Swissians, it bears no relation to the subject of the thread
keukenhof.jpg

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
YAY, GOOD NEWS! I don't have to settle for Queen palm fruits :p. After doing some more research, I've found that we have quite a few phoenix/Canary Island (true date palms) palms in the complex and in the neighborhood, and I notice some of them are producing flowers/fruits right now. Sweetness. I'm gonna be all over that as soon as the fruit ripens :p .

phoenix-canariensis-4.jpg

_8s2.jpg

Phoenix_dactylifera_flower3.jpg

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Aside from my love for free food, I have an equal love for plants, so the topic of palm trees is quite entertaining to me.

Palm Fruit Photos

ripeda1b.jpg

Ripe, pollinated fruits of the date palm (Phoenix dactylifera). They are crispy, sweet and slightly pungent. Most tree-ripened dates are dried before they are sent to markets.

In coastal San Diego County (southern California), female date palms (Phoenix dactylifera) produce parthenocarpic fruits without pollination. The fruits contain rudimentary, seedless endocarps, but nontheless are edible. The unpollinated fruits of P. dactylifera are smaller and contain less sugar and pulp compared with commercial pollinated dates.

dpalm2b.jpg

An unpollinated female date palm (Phoenix dactylifera) bearing parthenocarpic fruit. The fruits are less flavorful and smaller than pollinated dates and they contain a rudimentary, seedless endocarp. Date palms such as this are planted in the parking areas of shopping centers in San Diego County. The large Canary Island date palm (P. canariensis) is also commonly planted along streets and as a specimen tree in southern California. See close-up view of the parthenocarpic fruit in next photo:

dpalm6b.jpg

Parthenocarpic fruit from an unpollinated female date palm (Phoenix dactylifera). The fruits have a lower sugar and water content than pollinated dates and they contain a rudimentary, seedless endocarp.

datesd3b.gif

A: Pollinated Medjool dates (Phoenix dactylifera) showing a sectioned, seed-bearing drupe and fertile, seed-bearing endocarp. B: Unpollinated, parthenocarpic dates (P. dactylifera) showing sectioned fruits and a rudimentary, seedless endocarp.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
YAY, GOOD NEWS! I don't have to settle for Queen palm fruits :p. After doing some more research, I've found that we have quite a few phoenix/Canary Island (true date palms) palms in the complex and in the neighborhood, and I notice some of them are producing flowers/fruits right now. Sweetness. I'm gonna be all over that as soon as the fruit ripens :p .

Once again, Risen, you should listen to me very carefully.

The pictures you have shown so far come from Phoenix canariensis, a variety of palm trees that are grown only for ornamental reasons.

Their fruits, although not toxic, are NOT considered to be edible. They have no pulp: basically, it's just like a chunk of wood.

The edible date-Palm is usually not so good looking: their stipes (=trunk) are slenderer, and their leaves more yellowish.

---

Once again, there are approximately 2600 different species of palm trees, not counting the varieties. Some are edible, but the the vast majority produces non-edible fruits, fruits that have poor or non-existent nutritive value, at least for humans. Some species are even TOXIC (especially those from the semi-desertic areas of Asia and Australasia).

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
My wife and I went to Vancouver, B.C. about 7 years ago. They are about the same latitude as New York I think, maybe a bit more North. Anyway, we were very surprised to see three varieties of palms (Pindo Plams, and Windmill Palms, and King Sagos) planted OUTDOORS around the perimeter of a large public park that is on the water. We freaked out. The winters there are very cold, but I guess by the sea the salt in the water/air keeps these anomolous palms from ever freezing and perishing. It's truly cool to see them that far North.

The climate differs tremendously according to sea currents. It explains why the west coasts of the continents experience milder winter than the east ones. Of course, things are reverted in the southern hemisphere.

It's not only a question of latitude.

So according to the USDA Hardiness zone, Vancouver is located in zone 8b, juste like Atlanta or Tallahassee on the east coast.

You can check it more carefully on this map if you like:

USNA - USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map: South-East US

Of course, in Vancouver summers will be wetter and less hot, so the total amount of heat received during a year is very different, even if extremely cold temperatures are very rare. Nevertheless, you can grow very interesting plants in Vancouver and Seattle, tree-ferns and eucalyptus for instance.

In Europe, we have this wonderful thing called the Gulf Stream. It means our shores are heated by the same waters that ran through Cuba and the Caraibes, and the result is spectacular.
For instance, you have areas as high as Norway that are almost frost free!

In the Faroe Islands (barely 250 miles south of the Arctic Circle, same latitude as Greenland and the northern part of Alaska), the mean temperature of January is +4°C, and snow is limited to less than 3 days/year. So once again, according to the USDA system, these blessed Islands are located almost in zone 9.
Of course, there is a counterpart... During the summer in the Faroe Islands, the mean temperature won't go further than 11°C. You could say these islands experience more or less the same kind of climate during the entire year (Rain, rain, rain and rain).

So while it's not impossible to grow tropical plants outdoors there, it's not that easy either. Nonetheless, you have palm trees there, I've seen it.

Of course, with such an extreme and monotonous climate, your choice of species is very limited. And the classic choice is the Trachycarpus fortunei (Chinese fan-tree), the same you see in that Swiss arboretum. This specie can withstand frosts like -15°C, if it grows in a very wet and mild climate during summer. Actually, if you have a mean summer temperature higher than 25°C, this specific kind of palm tree won't grow well, or even die.

As a consequence, you can find Trachycarpus occuring in Norway, Scotland, Ireland, and even Germany and Denmark.

In Paris (same latitude as Newfoundland), we can cultivate approximately 25 different species of palm trees (Trachycarpus, Sabal, Butia, Jubaea... etc...), and some of them are used as common ornamental trees in the streets. Of course, they aren't as large or as showy than those you would find in Rome or in LA, but nonetheless, it's possible.

As a matter of fact, the most cold-hardy palm tree is American. It is called Rhapidophyllum hystrix (the porcupine fan-palm: beware its needles!), and it can occur in the wild as high as Washington DC (East coast). Nonetheless, it is very rare, and is considered to be a very endangered specie.
It can survive in northern areas, but then it won't bloom at all. Anyway, I have seen some Rhapidophyllum grown in the Yale University campus (Connecticut), without any frost protection.
The fruits are malodorous and even considered to be toxic for most mammals, with some exceptions (black bears for instance).

Last edited:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^WOW!!! Great post! Thank you for that wealth of information, I really appreciate it. :D

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
If you are interested Halla74, please compare the differences of the climate occuring in Paris:

MSN Weather - Yearly, Monthly Temperature and Precipitation Averages and Records for Paris, FRA.

And the one occuring in Québec:

Quebec, CAN Weather - Current Conditions, Forecasts, and Maps

---

You will notice that in Paris, frosts are rather rare (less than 32 days/year), and snow even rarer. The mean temperature varies from +4.7°C (January) to +20.0°C (July). The total amount of rainfall is not that high (630 mm), but it rains every month.

While in Québec (east coast), temperatures vary from -12.8°C (January) to +19.2°C (July). And it rains three times more than in Paris, with drier winters and wetter summers.

And believe it or not, Québec's latitude is 46°, while Paris is almost 48°. Both cities receive approximately the same amount of sunlight.

So you can describe the climate of Europe as humid but not damp, balanced, not extreme in any way, but at the price of a severe lack of sunlight during our dull, dark and gray winter months (because we live at far higher latitudes, compared to yours).

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
And here is the explaination:

globus1.gif

As you see, the Gulf Stream (shown in red, as a warm current) crosses the Atlantic Ocean and eventually bathes the European shores.

At the same moment, on the east American coast, you have a cold current (shown in blue) that originates near Greenland and in the Labrador Sea, and it explains more than everything else the icy winters you experience there and the sharp contrast in temperature between the seasons.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Once again, Risen, you should listen to me very carefully.

The pictures you have shown so far come from Phoenix canariensis, a variety of palm trees that are grown only for ornamental reasons.

Their fruits, although not toxic, are NOT considered to be edible. They have no pulp: basically, it's just like a chunk of wood.

The edible date-Palm is usually not so good looking: their stipes (=trunk) are slenderer, and their leaves more yellowish.

---

Once again, there are approximately 2600 different species of palm trees, not counting the varieties. Some are edible, but the the vast majority produces non-edible fruits, fruits that have poor or non-existent nutritive value, at least for humans. Some species are even TOXIC (especially those from the semi-desertic areas of Asia and Australasia).

I know they are most likely phoenix canariensis around here. The info I have obtained about the fruits details that they are not as large as the commercially grown phoenix dactylifera, but are none the less edible, and, from anecdotes I've seen, taste fine. The usability of the fruit is said to depend on whether they ripen properly and whether the tree is pollinated.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know they are most likely phoenix canariensis around here. The info I have obtained about the fruits details that they are not as large as the commercially grown phoenix dactylifera, but are none the less edible, and, from anecdotes I've seen, taste fine. The usability of the fruit is said to depend on whether they ripen properly and whether the tree is pollinated.

Soaking the dates in rum for a few months never hurts either. :whistling: