User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Dates rock. I ate them all the time overseas.
    Locally grown right (In Iraq at least)?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Yes sir. THey're sweet, like azuki beans.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I thought palm trees grew coconuts, which is a fruit.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

In nature, you have thousands and thousands of species of palm trees. It's a rather large family of trees, and not every specie produces edible fruit. And even then, their appearances and tastes can vary tremendously.

Some fruits are very fleshy and sweet, some others can only be compared to dry nuts, while some others are extremely fat and oily, and would rather taste like avocadoes or olives.

For instance, you should not confuse the Edible Date-Palm (Phoenix dactylifera), and the Canary Island Date-Palm (Phoenix canariensis). The later specie is only used for ornamental reasons, because their fruits are hard and almost tasteless.
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 11-23-2009 at 08:00 AM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Here in Tallahassee, Florida, we have several species of exotic palms that have been planted over the past hundred years or so.

We are in ZONE 6??? which means that only varieties that can survive frost in winter make it here year round.

The most popular palms that are cold tolerant, and that are planted throughout town are:

Cabbage Palm (State Tree / Indigenous to Area) - I've never eaten the grape-like seeds...

Canary Island Date Palm (Phoenix Caraiensis / Rare and ghetting More Rare as California will not Export its larger specimens anymore. One of these that is 10feet high (trunk only, no fronds can go for $40,000.)

Pindo (Jelly) Palm (Butia capitata) - HAS Edible Fruit!

(Cycas Revoluta - not actually a palm, but a cycad, like the plants on the Earth when the dinosaurs were alive) - Now, King Sagos do not make edible fruit, but they do make hundreds of HUGE, Walnut shaped seeds, covered in a red, waxy skin. They make great bonsai plants. You soak the seeds in water until the red skin comes off (dig off with your fingers after a few days) and then plant it in a dish with some dirt and peat over it. Keep it moist until it sprouts, sometimes 6 months later, but it's worth it.

Here's a picture of a King Sago Palm in my front yard from a few years ago, where I had to prune it back because the middle grew a massive seed impregnated flower:

Several small sago palms at the beach:

King Sago "male" plant with pollen cones:

The seeds:

If anyone would like me to mail them some sago palm seeds for trying to make a bonsai out of them, I'll be happy to later this winter, when they are ready. Just PM me.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I've recently been taking note of the different type of palms in different places. This after recently exploring Sydney and the Gold Coast on Windows Live and Google. And who could forget the giant Washingtonians that criss cross the LA area.

The cabbage palms go up as far as Virginia Beach! (Though I think many of them were damaged in some of the storms they've been having over the years). But they are only around the hotels on the beach (and there's one cluster of them at some drive in business a few miles inland near a place called Indian River).
    I was surprised, as when you travel south by the 95 (which is inland until Florida), you don't see any palms until you hit Savannah, and those are the "cabbage" species too, and even then, there are not an awful lot. Then, when you enter Florida, you see them a lot more (including the little pairs of cabbage variety in the median of the highway), and you start seeing the other varieties too.

Of course, here in NYC, we had about 12 of them in the World Financial Center. I believe they survived the 9/11 attack (even though the glass dome they were under was damaged). They looked like cabbage palms, but kept growing towards the dome, so maybe they were Washingtonians? (Don't know why they would put those in a limited height indoor space). Don't know what they will do when they run out of space, and I haven't been there in years.

(Otherwise, in NY, the ailanthus altissimas and acacia berlandieris (which are typical deciduous trees) always reminded me of palms because of the pinnate leaf arrangement).

The date palms are the nicest.

When I see the spidery leaves of these things, it reminds me of the kinds of creatures probably crawling on them in the tropical areas.
    Last edited by Eric B; 11-21-2009 at 07:50 PM.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yes

of course there's the best known date palms and coconut palms, but the palm trees that grew all over the place where I was in brazil made fruit that looked like mini-coconuts. I was curious and decided to try one (cracked it on the sidewalk with a large rock... very advanced, I know :rolli and it tasted a lot like a coconut too. Apparently they're popular eating with children.

I guess it matters where you are as to what edible thing they may make, but yeah, palm trees make edible fruit!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    The cabbage palms go up as far as Virginia Beach! (though I think many of them were damaged in some of the storms they've been having over the years). But they are only around the hotels on the beach (and there's one cluster of them at some drive in bisuness a few miles inland near a place called Indian River).

I was surprised, as when you travel south by the 95 (which is inland until Florida), you don't see any palms until you hit Savannah, and those are the "cabbage" species too, and even then, there are not an awful lot. Then, when you enter Florida, you see them a lot more (including the little pairs of cabbage variety in the median of the highway), and you start seeing the other varieties too.

Of course, here in NYC, we had about 12 of them in the World Financial Center. I believe they survived the 9/11 attack (even though the glass dome they were under was damaged). They looked like cabbage palms, but kept growing towards the dome, so maybe they were Washingtonians? (Don't know why they would put those in a limited height indoor space). Don't know what they will do wen they run out of space, and I haven't been there in years.
    My wife and I went to Vancouver, B.C. about 7 years ago. They are about the same latitude as New York I think, maybe a bit more North. Anyway, we were very surprised to see three varieties of palms (Pindo Plams, and Windmill Palms, and King Sagos) planted OUTDOORS around the perimeter of a large public park that is on the water. We freaked out. The winters there are very cold, but I guess by the sea the salt in the water/air keeps these anomolous palms from ever freezing and perishing. It's truly cool to see them that far North.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I used to eat these all the time when I lived in FL.

I've seen a few of these trees by the beach in NC.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    My wife and I went to Vancouver, B.C. about 7 years ago. They are about the same latitude as New York I think, maybe a bit more North. Anyway, we were very surprised to see three varieties of palms (Pindo Plams, and Windmill Palms, and King Sagos) planted OUTDOORS around the perimeter of a large public park that is on the water. We freaked out. The winters there are very cold, but I guess by the sea the salt in the water/air keeps these anomolous palms from ever freezing and perishing. It's truly cool to see them that far North.
    Wow; that's much further north, because the US-Canada border west of the great lakes is further north than where the straight border picks up briefly between NY State and Canada near Montreal. And that's way upstate from NYC, which is the southern tip.

Anyway, the Pacific climate is different, like Seattle being "marine" climate (NYC and the rest of the mid-Atlantic is "humid-continental"), and I don't think that gets quite as cold as us, or at least have the same cold winds. You probably have the larger mountain ranges blocking more of the Arctic air, which we get having only small mountains to the north. Like Tokyo is supposedly the same altitude as NYC, but the climate is like LA (and thus would have a lot of palms), because the huge mountains block the cold air.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas