User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Iced Tea?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default Iced Tea?

What's the best method to make a pitcher of iced tea? Brewing it cold or brewing it hot and cooling it down? What are the best things to add to it, too? Anything else I should know?

Thanks for your help.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Neither.

1. Go to the store, and buy a gallon of Arizona Iced Tea Sunbrewed style with Lemon.
    2. Return home, put ice into a pitcher
    3. Pour Arizona into the pitcher.
    4. Pour yourself a nice glass of Arizona Iced Tea and enjoy yourself.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Just get some tea bags, you get 24 in a box usually. There are instructions on the box. I boil my tea over the day (I make like 5 bags worth a day) and I am always adding to my pitcher.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    What's the best method to make a pitcher of iced tea? Brewing it cold or brewing it hot and cooling it down? What are the best things to add to it, too? Anything else I should know?

Thanks for your help.
    If you brew it hot using the method on the box, you'll have to refrigerate it afterward. Otherwise, the ice in your glass will melt quickly and your tea will be relatively dilute. I have never tried brewing it cold. I can't imagine it would work very well, unless you use the tea bags which are specifically made for cold brewing, but those are made with really low-grade tea (not that regular tea bags aren't made with relatively low-grade tea, but cold-brew bags are, especially). I brew my tea double strength, then dilute it with an equal amount of ice/water.

For example, if I need 64 oz. of tea, I brew 32 oz, but with the same number of tea bags as would normally be used if brewing 64 oz. Then, I pour it in the pitcher and put ice in it a little bit at a time, while stirring, until it reaches the 64 oz. mark (actually, not quite to the 64 oz. mark, since I like mine a bit strong). This method produces tea that is cold immediately and is of the proper strength. One downside is that the tea does not look particularly clear when poured, but that has no effect on the taste. Another is that the ice, which may have been sitting in the freezer for a while, may have absorbed some of the odor from the air in the freezer, but that's usually not a problem if you have baking soda in your freezer. Not to mention, you're going to put ice in your cup, anyway.

I usually drink mine unsweetened. You'll have to experiment with different amounts of sugar to find your own sweet spot (pun definitely intended). Be sure to add the sugar before you add the ice. Getting sugar to dissolve in cold tea is a real pain. One cup of sugar per 64 oz. will yield very sweet tea.

If you're using tea bags, Luzianne is pretty good. It's less than twenty cents more expensive than the Walmart brand for a 24-pack of the "family size" bags, and tastes much better.

MBTI
    ISFP

I love tea! I drink quite a lot of tea.
    I brew a big bunch of hot tea in the evening, because I like to have hot tea before I go to bed. Then I refrigerate the rest overnight, so it is cold the next day. The next day I have cold tea (I also add ice the next day) all day long, and it runs out in the evening when I am ready to brew a fresh batch!

I suppose refrigerating it overnight is not fresh enough for some people. It is plenty fresh enough for me! It works.

Oh! If you refrigerate the tea while it is still hot it gets cloudy. It tastes fine, but it looks cloudy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

10 teabags to a gallon container
    Boiling water about halfway
    Steep
    Add cold water to the top
    Fridge

I make a gallon a day.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by laughingebony View Post
    If you brew it hot using the method on the box, you'll have to refrigerate it afterward. Otherwise, the ice in your glass will melt quickly and your tea will be relatively dilute. I have never tried brewing it cold. I can't imagine it would work very well, unless you use the tea bags which are specifically made for cold brewing, but those are made with really low-grade tea (not that regular tea bags aren't made with relatively low-grade tea, but cold-brew bags are, especially). I brew my tea double strength, then dilute it with an equal amount of ice/water.

For example, if I need 64 oz. of tea, I brew 32 oz, but with the same number of tea bags as would normally be used if brewing 64 oz. Then, I pour it in the pitcher and put ice in it a little bit at a time, while stirring, until it reaches the 64 oz. mark (actually, not quite to the 64 oz. mark, since I like mine a bit strong). This method produces tea that is cold immediately and is of the proper strength. One downside is that the tea does not look particularly clear when poured, but that has no effect on the taste. Another is that the ice, which may have been sitting in the freezer for a while, may have absorbed some of the odor from the air in the freezer, but that's usually not a problem if you have baking soda in your freezer. Not to mention, you're going to put ice in your cup, anyway.

I usually drink mine unsweetened. You'll have to experiment with different amounts of sugar to find your own sweet spot (pun definitely intended). Be sure to add the sugar before you add the ice. Getting sugar to dissolve in cold tea is a real pain. One cup of sugar per 64 oz. will yield very sweet tea.

If you're using tea bags, Luzianne is pretty good. It's less than twenty cents more expensive than the Walmart brand for a 24-pack of the "family size" bags, and tastes much better.
    that's why you brew it stronger then you think you want it.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My husband is the Iced Tea Master of our house. He uses an Iced Tea maker.

Two cheap tea bags like Tetley, four Ceylon tea bags, one Earl Grey tea bag, and two thirds cup of sugar for three quarts of tea. It is yummy.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ

Straight from Southern Living: pour half a quart of boiling hot water into a one quart pitcher and add four large teabags (Luzianne is good). Let it steep for five minutes, remove the teabags and add cold water to make a full quart. Serve over ice. (If you like it sweet, you'll have to do it yourself, because I can't stand sweet tea!)

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

hmm...I always steep the Tea in the pot, then pour the hot tea into a pitcher and add ice until the pitcher is full.

Which will get the same result.