• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Small question: Tuna

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tuna fish needs some thickness and "body." Usually you drain the water out of the can, and you're left with dry tuna that won't stick together.

Traditionally, the solution for us has been using mayonnaise to hold it together. Any solutions with less fat?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
salad cream - it tastes way better than mayo on tuna because there is vinegar in it I think...

Try this...

Boiled rice (cooked till soft - but still hot/warm)
half a cucumber cubed into chunky bits
2 tomatoes medium sized cut into cubes/chunky bits...
half an onion - chopped up real fine (if you hate raw onion put it in with the rice while it cooks)
drained tuna (deally the sunflower oiled variety but if not the brine - drained)... I mean the tin that is about an inch deep by about 3 inches accross

Mix all the above up with a lot of salad cream... YUM!

Tuna is grand with very thin cut cucumber...

As you say it can be very dry

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
cooked hot pasta.....

White sauce
clean and wash a small leek and chop it fine say 3 cm chuncks....
a can of drained tuna....
freshly choped parsley

Mix the leek and Tuna into the white sauce and add in the cooked pasta...

Yum - you can chuck other stuff in there... chopped tomatos (I wouldn't cook them - I'd wait until all the cooking bit it done then mix the cold tomatoes through (I may sometimes add in a handful of peanuts to give it some crunch)....

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ah, yes, when I have onions I do use them. It's a great match! And tomatoes, too. But those alone aren't going to make the fish thicker, are they? I'll look up salad cream, it's not very popular in this region.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ah, yes, when I have onions I do use them. It's a great match! And tomatoes, too. But those alone aren't going to make the fish thicker, are they? I'll look up salad cream, it's not very popular in this region.

salad cream would be similar to mayo but with less fat... I'm assuming you now want cold something...

The reason mayo works is because of the fat content

Try sour cream (never tried that, might be too light), or fromagefrey (?sp)..

are you trying to eat this stuff cold?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Ranch dressing or any sort of vinaigrette.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, though I guess I could heat it up. I don't see what the temperature has to do with it. (shrug)

Ranch dressing is less fattening than mayonnaise? Maybe it is.
And vinaigrette doesn't sound thickening.

Last edited:

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Light Mayonnaise?

You could also use peanut butter.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, though I guess I could heat it up. I don't see what the temperature has to do with it. (shrug)

well the point of cooking with things is that is thickens stuff up...

This wouldn't be good on sandwiches, but fine on pasta or rice.... so ultimately lots of hot things with thick sauce, probably holandase would be good with it... but ultimately it depends on what you are tying to make. askign how you make fish thick is a bit lame... whip with cream = fish mouse, mix with hot tomatoe sauce makes sauce suitable for rice or pasta..

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I get a lot of the tuna in pouches that are spicy or have additions to them already, so I never add anything. I'd get FF mayo or Miracle Whip if you're of that persuasion.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Bumble Bee tuna makes DELICIOUS lower-fat flavored alternative to mayonaise - only costs about a dollar more per can than plain. There's Thai Chili, Lemon Pepper, and my personal favorite Tomato Basil.

I guess you could try your hand at those flavors at home if you want to, but you can purchase them at the grocery store. I eat them right out of the can.