• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The heavenly nectar that is coffee...

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
For Christmas I got Weasel Coffee! Apparently the weasel eats the bean and then throws up which people then collect and use. Disgusting principle but delicious coffee. Frickin expensive apparently. Damn overpaid weasels!
Xander I don't know what to say other than you are defacing your avatar by speaking about regurgitated (by weasels no less!) coffee beans.
I think it is also called a cafetiere, yes. It's basically a stainless steel (I've also seem them made of tempered glass) pitcher with a plunger that strains the water and pushes the coffee grounds down. So you pretty much mix coffee grounds and hot water, let it sit for a few minutes, and then push the plunger down to strain the coffee grounds out.

And I would never eat fries & coffee together, even if the alternative is hating America. ;)
I always see those for sale cheap! Do you think it makes better coffee than an machine?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Let's not forget: no filters. It uses a metal mesh that's washable.

It also just makes better coffee, IMO, richer/fuller taste (my taste echoes Ivy's, gimme diesel, light tan with the spoon standing up). You put the coffee in the bottom of the pot and pour the boiling water in. The water swirls the grounds around until you plunge it, rather than trickling through it on the way down, and hits it hotter.

Also no chance of the joys of running the coffee machine with the pot slightly askew, causing the valve under the filter cone to stay closed, which makes the basket overflow and causes chunky hot protocoffee to cascade down the sides into an expanding puddle of hazelnut/mocha stain.

Ahhh, I see. I like my coffee diesel strength too, so maybe I will look into this. I'm never making coffee for more than one person, too, so the size is not an issue. I'd love to get that giant hulk of a coffeepot off the counter.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Ahhh, I see. I like my coffee diesel strength too, so maybe I will look into this. I'm never making coffee for more than one person, too, so the size is not an issue. I'd love to get that giant hulk of a coffeepot off the counter.

This is the one we have. It was a gift- if I had been picking, I would probably have picked this one.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
He's a gentleman of the old-fashioned sort. ;)

It figures my name would turn up in a thread about coffee. But y'know, there's a real easy way to solve this whole milk dilemma -- just drink it black, fer cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:

:coffee:

Yep, black's the only way to go. And...buy a Bunn.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It seems like it's common for people to be very particular about their coffee. When I drink it, I usually just take a spoon of instant coffee, pour boiled water over it (don't have a coffeemaker), put in creamer and sugar, and then stir and drink it.

I make tea similarly, except I steep the tea bag in the mug for five minutes, and then and either drink it as is, or add cream and sugar.

Oddly enough, I like regular tea better than iced tea. That seems to be an unusual preference of mine, because I've never met anyone else who liked it (until Xander said he knew people that liked tea).

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
Mmmm...coffee..my favorite beverage. INSTANT??? (seriously, get yourself a machine - I think they can be purchased for $40 or less. So worth it).

It sounds insane, but for someone as disorganized as I am, using anything other than instant in the morning doesn't happen. I know I could set my coffeemaker up in the evening, and sometimes I do, but I forget to push the button in the morning. I'm so terrible at mornings that I've started to drink tea instead of coffee because it requires less movement and ingredients to make.

Hmmm - maybe I should set up my one-cup French press for the mornings and put it on the counter. That might actually help a bit. Like, I would see it right there in front of me instead of forgetting about it completely.

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
Oddly enough, I like regular tea better than iced tea. That seems to be an unusual preference of mine, because I've never met anyone else who liked it (until Xander said he knew people that liked tea).

Are you serious? I don't even think I've seen anyone drink iced tea for several years. I certainly know I haven't. Maybe I'm biased. Most of my immediate relations, including myself, drink massive amounts of hot tea - sometimes we even drink the real, loose stuff that doesn't resemble sawdust in a filter. :yes:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
:shock: Now that's just silly. How you gonna milk rice?

Haven't you heard of rice cow that give rice milk? :unsure:
:whistling:
Actually there is a thing called rice milk for those people who cannot drink the "real" milk. Soya milk can also be found from stores as well as oat milk. I have to use these replacement milks for now because of some reasons that I'm too lazy to explain now. ;)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Are you serious? I don't even think I've seen anyone drink iced tea for several years. I certainly know I haven't. Maybe I'm biased. Most of my immediate relations, including myself, drink massive amounts of hot tea - sometimes we even drink the real, loose stuff that doesn't resemble sawdust in a filter. :yes:

But you're in Europe, right? I'm in the United States, so it might be a culture difference. People drink Iced Tea a lot here. I've even heard people here claim it's unpatriotic to drink regular tea (I have no idea why), so I just don't drink it in front of people. I tried it once and now I don't want to stop drinking it.

Oh, and sorry to derail your topic about coffee with a conversation about tea, Xander.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
But you're in Europe, right? I'm in the United States, so it might be a culture difference. People drink Iced Tea a lot here. I've even heard people here claim it's unpatriotic to drink regular tea (I have no idea why), so I just don't drink it in front of people. I tried it once and now I don't want to stop drinking it.

Oh, and sorry to derail your topic about coffee with a conversation about tea, Xander.

Do you like green tea Athenian?

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF

Yes, of course you are right about the cultural difference, but it just blows my mind because I had absolutely no idea about this. Like jaw-dropping amazement. And it shocks me even more to learn that some consider tea-drinking unpatriotic. That would never occur to me, particularly since my favourite bagged tea-brand is American Celestial Seasonings.

Enjoy your tea :yes:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, of course you are right about the cultural difference, but it just blows my mind because I had absolutely no idea about this. Like jaw-dropping amazement. And it shocks me even more to learn that some consider tea-drinking unpatriotic. That would never occur to me, particularly since my favourite bagged tea-brand is American Celestial Seasonings.

Enjoy your tea :yes:

Well, I'm not sure this is all over America, it could be more common in the South. And probably not everyone thinks that even here, because the stores do stock it and aren't boycotted or anything.

People just don't seem to drink tea as much here for some reason. Although they could just be adverse to the people who disapprove seeing them drink it like I am. I kind of wish it were more common, though.

Thanks, I will enjoy it. :)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
It seems okay, but I also like something called "Chai" tea, as well as Earl Grey, Prince of Wales, and various other teas. I like most of them, actually.
If you like a nice light cuppa then the best thing I've found is Twinings Green and Black blend. It's so refreshing the milk is usually optional. In fact one of my friends alternates between strong coffee, two sugars and milk to naked green and black tea.

As for iced tea I think you'd just get stared at if you asked fro it around here. It's just not cricket ;)

Oh and I'd also suggest my fathers favourite which is Assam tea. I'm not sure if he likes it because of the taste or because he never gets tired of the jokes like "Let's Assam tea" but it tastes nice to me.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Did you know Oolong tea is excellent for loosening up chest congestion?
I buy the leaves from my local Chinese restaurant.

MBTI Type
INTJ

I only drink iced tea, hardly ever hot tea. I suppose it's because wherever hot tea is available, coffee usually is as well and I love coffee.

That's not to say that the idea of drinking hot tea is foreign for me as it seems to be for Athenian.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Well, I'm not sure this is all over America, it could be more common in the South.

Sweet Tea! Yummy. Considering soda is also just sugar water and a Type II Diabetes in a bottle, I prefer sweet tea.

The McDonald's in some regions will sell it.

I like tea as well as coffee. I drink my coffee black now, after discovering that decent coffee doesn't need to be masked. Tea, I prefer with lots of milk and honey.

I drink iced tea. Matcha sweet tea is HEAVENLY. Pure sugar. Peet's Coffee has an okay sweet green tea slushie, but I prefer the real deal. Also, adding mashed fruit like peaches to a container of iced tea in the fridge is also HEAVENLY.

Cooler drinks are easier to drink than hotter. Hot tea to me is more ritualized, you're meant to savor it with snackies and a friend. I just imagine sitting by the window on a drizzly afternoon wearing a sweater and warming up with tea. Blame it on watching too much tv and commercials. But tea that's not that hot and especially iced tea is a substitute for water and you can chug it down!

Also, I know this may veer on sounding a little too scatalogical, but you are what you eat and I prefer the idea of drinking something aromatic and sweet rather than acidic and sharp. I mean, they do say vegans smell better. I always wonder if you drink a gallon of rose hips tea every day if you'll start smelling like roses!

And does bubble tea count? Because I definitely drink that!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
For all those who wish to share in the experience of Weasel sick coffee, it's available here Weasel Coffee

Get those orders in ;)