• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The heavenly nectar that is coffee...

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I drink my coffee like my tea -- i.e. by the quart. I mix it really heavy with milk. I prefer to put my milk in first, because neurotically it bothers me to think that by adding milk last, I'm making my coffee cold.

Did not know about the need to stir thoroughly will try that.

Also, I love Hong Kong style milk tea and Vietnamese coffee and Thai iced tea -- condensed and evaporated milk + caffeine = HEAVEN. And clogged arteries.

I like mixing my coffee with hot choco as well. And I like to start out with dark roast coffee, it tastes better in my opinion.

sassafrassquatch

1/8 cup beans per 16oz of water
1/4 cup milk per 16oz of coffee
Drink 2-3 pints a day

/not addicted
//just a little
///to slashies!

MBTI Type
ENTP
I like making the coffee colder. You can't taste it if you burn your tongue on a regular basis.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Have you ever tried drinking instant coffee black?
Oh boy. There's nothing wrong with decent instant coffee. It's like chocolate cake to me. You can have the double, triple choc with chocolate icing and cream everyday it would just make me sick if it was me. Personally I prefer the sponge with a bit of chocolate icing on it for an everyday affair then treat myself occasionally. Still there is a difference between buying a nice chocolate sponge cake and something which has some brown stuff on it that should be chocolate but is actually just called that cause it's fairly close in all respects except taste. You know kinda like American chocolate :devil:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I like making the coffee colder. You can't taste it if you burn your tongue on a regular basis.
Yeah I'm with you there. Mike keeps moaning at me leaving mine till it goes "cold" but basically I can't see the point of the famous piping hot cuppa. May as well be trying to drink steam. It tastes like there's no flavour and you broil your mouth. Senseless.

Just tell those that do drink it really hot "where there's no sense there's no feeling".

:doh: I shoulda used that one on INTPc :smile:

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I don't mind cold coffee either. I can pour a cup in the am and still be drinking that same cup hours later.

Lately I have been fond of Pumpkin Spice Latte's. :coffee:
232849942_92721915b3.jpg

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah I'm with you there. Mike keeps moaning at me leaving mine till it goes "cold" but basically I can't see the point of the famous piping hot cuppa. May as well be trying to drink steam. It tastes like there's no flavour and you broil your mouth. Senseless.

Yeah, speaking of which, what is it with grandmothers and scaldingly hot coffees? How do they manage to heat them above 100 degrees c? Their coffees take 2 hours to cool to a drinkable temperature, during which time you can only lose soggy dunking biscuits in their superheated depths.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't mind cold coffee either. I can pour a cup in the am and still be drinking that same cup hours later.

Lately I have been fond of Pumpkin Spice Latte's. :coffee:
232849942_92721915b3.jpg

I love the pumpkin spice latte. It's like pumpkin pie minus the texture. Though I do miss the texture and can somtimes bring up the feel of the filling and crust in my mouth as I drink. sooo yummy, I hope they keep it on the menu.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yeah, speaking of which, what is it with grandmothers and scaldingly hot coffees? How do they manage to heat them above 100 degrees c? Their coffees take 2 hours to cool to a drinkable temperature, during which time you can only lose soggy dunking biscuits in their superheated depths.
:D
If they're like mine it probably has something to do with making coffee like dishwater. No coffee, no sugar and a sliver of milk which isn't refrigerated for about half an hour (and so becomes kinda warm) whilst they make the coffee.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Grind coffee beans
Make doffee
A little Ultra Pasteurized Half and Half (Please.. no milk.. it will dilute the coffee and waste precious space in the cup.)

Sip. Smile. Repeat.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
For Christmas my aunt gave me a can of South American coffee that she bought in Panama I think, which I wasn't expecting much from (she's way cheap, not that there's anything wrong with that). Turns out, it's the best coffee I've ever tasted.

To prepare coffee I use a French press. I boil water on the stove and put the grounds in the bottom of the press. When the water boils I turn it off, wait a minute for it to stop boiling, and fill the press, wait four minutes, push down the plunger. I like it VERY strong, but with lots of milk and sugar as well. Milk (or half & half, if I have it) goes in last since the sugar won't completely dissolve unless the coffee's super-hot.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Grind coffee beans
Make doffee
A little Ultra Pasteurized Half and Half (Please.. no milk.. it will dilute the coffee and waste precious space in the cup.)

Sip. Smile. Repeat.

Sadly we have no Half and Half in this country, and (coincidentally?) no decent White Russians. As far as coffee is concerned, I get around our dairy shortcomings (when in the mood for white coffee) by using 3/4 of a cup of espresso with 1/4 of a cup of milk. Puts hair on your chest.

alicia91

Mmmm...coffee..my favorite beverage. INSTANT??? (seriously, get yourself a machine - I think they can be purchased for $40 or less. So worth it).

My routine:

Every evening set up coffee machine using Starbucks House Blend and cold water. Make sure timer is set for 5:15am

Wake up. Get cup, pour a little 1/2 & 1/2 or heavy cream into cup. Fill with coffee. Stumble to TV or computer for a 30 minute 'wakeup time.'

There is no reason for the milk first other than laziness - you don't have to stir it! I'm also too lazy to grind my own though I do own a grinder. I'm all about keeping it simple.

MBTI Type
INTJ
For Christmas my aunt gave me a can of South American coffee that she bought in Panama I think, which I wasn't expecting much from (she's way cheap, not that there's anything wrong with that). Turns out, it's the best coffee I've ever tasted.

To prepare coffee I use a French press. I boil water on the stove and put the grounds in the bottom of the press. When the water boils I turn it off, wait a minute for it to stop boiling, and fill the press, wait four minutes, push down the plunger. I like it VERY strong, but with lots of milk and sugar as well. Milk (or half & half, if I have it) goes in last since the sugar won't completely dissolve unless the coffee's super-hot.

I'm curious about French press. I use a drip coffeemaker for my regular coffee and a moka pot for espresso. What is the advantage of a French press over a regular drip coffeemaker?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm curious about French press. I use a drip coffeemaker for my regular coffee and a moka pot for espresso. What is the advantage of a French press over a regular drip coffeemaker?

For me, the advantage is that it's not always out on the countertop. I don't make coffee every day, and I have limited space, so it's nice that I can put it up in a cabinet when I'm not using it.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
For me, the advantage is that it's not always out on the countertop. I don't make coffee every day, and I have limited space, so it's nice that I can put it up in a cabinet when I'm not using it.

What's a french press? Is it a "cafetiere"?

If so, would you like freedom fries with that coffee? :devil:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
For Christmas I got Weasel Coffee! Apparently the weasel eats the bean and then throws up which people then collect and use. Disgusting principle but delicious coffee. Frickin expensive apparently. Damn overpaid weasels!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What's a french press? Is it a "cafetiere"?

If so, would you like freedom fries with that coffee? :devil:

I think it is also called a cafetiere, yes. It's basically a stainless steel (I've also seem them made of tempered glass) pitcher with a plunger that strains the water and pushes the coffee grounds down. So you pretty much mix coffee grounds and hot water, let it sit for a few minutes, and then push the plunger down to strain the coffee grounds out.

And I would never eat fries & coffee together, even if the alternative is hating America. ;)

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP

Let's not forget: no filters. It uses a metal mesh that's washable.

It also just makes better coffee, IMO, richer/fuller taste (my taste echoes Ivy's, gimme diesel, light tan with the spoon standing up). You put the coffee in the bottom of the pot and pour the boiling water in. The water swirls the grounds around until you plunge it, rather than trickling through it on the way down, and hits it hotter.

Also no chance of the joys of running the coffee machine with the pot slightly askew, causing the valve under the filter cone to stay closed, which makes the basket overflow and causes chunky hot protocoffee to cascade down the sides into an expanding puddle of hazelnut/mocha stain.