User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Grind coffee beans
    Make doffee
    A little Ultra Pasteurized Half and Half (Please.. no milk.. it will dilute the coffee and waste precious space in the cup.)

Sip. Smile. Repeat.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

For Christmas my aunt gave me a can of South American coffee that she bought in Panama I think, which I wasn't expecting much from (she's way cheap, not that there's anything wrong with that). Turns out, it's the best coffee I've ever tasted.

To prepare coffee I use a French press. I boil water on the stove and put the grounds in the bottom of the press. When the water boils I turn it off, wait a minute for it to stop boiling, and fill the press, wait four minutes, push down the plunger. I like it VERY strong, but with lots of milk and sugar as well. Milk (or half & half, if I have it) goes in last since the sugar won't completely dissolve unless the coffee's super-hot.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Grind coffee beans
    Make doffee
    A little Ultra Pasteurized Half and Half (Please.. no milk.. it will dilute the coffee and waste precious space in the cup.)

Sip. Smile. Repeat.
    Sadly we have no Half and Half in this country, and (coincidentally?) no decent White Russians. As far as coffee is concerned, I get around our dairy shortcomings (when in the mood for white coffee) by using 3/4 of a cup of espresso with 1/4 of a cup of milk. Puts hair on your chest.

Mmmm...coffee..my favorite beverage. INSTANT??? (seriously, get yourself a machine - I think they can be purchased for $40 or less. So worth it).

My routine:

Every evening set up coffee machine using Starbucks House Blend and cold water. Make sure timer is set for 5:15am

Wake up. Get cup, pour a little 1/2 & 1/2 or heavy cream into cup. Fill with coffee. Stumble to TV or computer for a 30 minute 'wakeup time.'

There is no reason for the milk first other than laziness - you don't have to stir it! I'm also too lazy to grind my own though I do own a grinder. I'm all about keeping it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    For Christmas my aunt gave me a can of South American coffee that she bought in Panama I think, which I wasn't expecting much from (she's way cheap, not that there's anything wrong with that). Turns out, it's the best coffee I've ever tasted.

To prepare coffee I use a French press. I boil water on the stove and put the grounds in the bottom of the press. When the water boils I turn it off, wait a minute for it to stop boiling, and fill the press, wait four minutes, push down the plunger. I like it VERY strong, but with lots of milk and sugar as well. Milk (or half & half, if I have it) goes in last since the sugar won't completely dissolve unless the coffee's super-hot.
    I'm curious about French press. I use a drip coffeemaker for my regular coffee and a moka pot for espresso. What is the advantage of a French press over a regular drip coffeemaker?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I'm curious about French press. I use a drip coffeemaker for my regular coffee and a moka pot for espresso. What is the advantage of a French press over a regular drip coffeemaker?
    For me, the advantage is that it's not always out on the countertop. I don't make coffee every day, and I have limited space, so it's nice that I can put it up in a cabinet when I'm not using it.

MBTI
    INXP

For me, the advantage is that it's not always out on the countertop. I don't make coffee every day, and I have limited space, so it's nice that I can put it up in a cabinet when I'm not using it.
    What's a french press? Is it a "cafetiere"?

If so, would you like freedom fries with that coffee?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

For Christmas I got Weasel Coffee! Apparently the weasel eats the bean and then throws up which people then collect and use. Disgusting principle but delicious coffee. Frickin expensive apparently. Damn overpaid weasels!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    What's a french press? Is it a "cafetiere"?

If so, would you like freedom fries with that coffee?
    I think it is also called a cafetiere, yes. It's basically a stainless steel (I've also seem them made of tempered glass) pitcher with a plunger that strains the water and pushes the coffee grounds down. So you pretty much mix coffee grounds and hot water, let it sit for a few minutes, and then push the plunger down to strain the coffee grounds out.

And I would never eat fries & coffee together, even if the alternative is hating America.

MBTI
    INTP

Let's not forget: no filters. It uses a metal mesh that's washable.

It also just makes better coffee, IMO, richer/fuller taste (my taste echoes Ivy's, gimme diesel, light tan with the spoon standing up). You put the coffee in the bottom of the pot and pour the boiling water in. The water swirls the grounds around until you plunge it, rather than trickling through it on the way down, and hits it hotter.

Also no chance of the joys of running the coffee machine with the pot slightly askew, causing the valve under the filter cone to stay closed, which makes the basket overflow and causes chunky hot protocoffee to cascade down the sides into an expanding puddle of hazelnut/mocha stain.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo