User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 105

  1. #21
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I only have one cup of coffee a day since it stains my teeth yellow,
    and did you know caffeine depletes your calcium?
    Ever since I quit smoking this past May I whiten my teeth twice a week and take Viactiv once a day. I also drink one cup a day in the morning.

    PS Starbucks in the UK isn't nearly as good as in the US according to my sources
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  2. #22
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I only have one cup of coffee a day since it stains my teeth yellow,
    and did you know caffeine depletes your calcium?
    Really?
    Is this one of those old wives tales (or the new one's with scientists substituted for wives)? Sounds odd. Sounds like one of those thing the 'People's army against the usage of caffeine products' would say.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  3. #23
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Really?
    Is this one of those old wives tales (or the new one's with scientists substituted for wives)? Sounds odd. Sounds like one of those thing the 'People's army against the usage of caffeine products' would say.

    Right and cell phones can cause brain tumors. My Mother is always giving me secondhand advice on how to combat certain ailments. I can't keep up so I just tell myself to do things in moderation and I will hopefully live a long and healthy life, unless I get hit by a bus.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  4. #24
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Right and cell phones can cause brain tumors. My Mother is always giving me secondhand advice on how to combat certain ailments. I can't keep up so I just tell myself to do things in moderation and I will hopefully live a long and healthy life, unless I get hit by a bus.
    Wouldn't living a long life kinda preclude living a healthy life?
    I mean if you live to be 150 then some things probably aren't going to work right and isn't that the defining point of healthy?

    Oh and I almost never listen to advice like that unless I understand how it does it. Then I measure my want for the vice versus the not wanting the consequence.

    So far I've done brilliantly. I still smoke and can't stop biting my finger nails

    Oh well....
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  5. #25
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Wouldn't living a long life kinda preclude living a healthy life?
    I mean if you live to be 150 then some things probably aren't going to work right and isn't that the defining point of healthy?

    Oh and I almost never listen to advice like that unless I understand how it does it. Then I measure my want for the vice versus the not wanting the consequence.

    So far I've done brilliantly. I still smoke and can't stop biting my finger nails

    Oh well....
    I'd like to live long enough to see my children grow up to be happy well adjusted people and enjoy my grandchildren. I think I'd be happy living until my early 80's. The moon on a golden stick would be nice as well.

    I don't know how old you are, but when I turned 38 this year I decided that I needed to lead a healthier life. I wasn't getting any younger and cancer does run in my family.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  6. #26
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I'd like to live long enough to see my children grow up to be happy well adjusted people and enjoy my grandchildren. I think I'd be happy living until my early 80's. The moon on a golden stick would be nice as well.

    I don't know how old you are, but when I turned 38 this year I decided that I needed to lead a healthier life. I wasn't getting any younger and cancer does run in my family.
    Only thirty (says he pointing and laughing at the wrinkly)

    Oh and the only scions I intend to have are pups (when I can figure out how to get out of this working malarky and actually get a dog that is).

    Still can you think what you'd drink if you had to give up coffee to be healthy? I mean I like the green & black tea I drink on occasions but as a permanent substitute it'd suck!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  7. #27
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I have never heard of putting the milk in first. Can someone who does this explain what the advantage is?
    It makes the coffee taste better. Even if it does make it more difficult to dissolve the coffee granules. When using Coffee Mate instead of milk I will put some cold water in with the coffee/coffee mate first (doesn't need much), stir it around, add the hot water, stir again, then add cold water to achieve desired temperature.

    Tip: when using soy milk instead of milk, you MUST put the milk in first or let the boiled water cool off for ~5mins otherwise the soy milk cooks or something and clots in a very unappetizing way.

  8. #28
    Doesn't Read Your Posts Haight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I have never heard of putting the milk in first. Can someone who does this explain what the advantage is?
    Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Using really cold milk/cream makes the coffee cooler, and I don't like that. Hence, I set it out for a bit.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

  9. #29
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Really?
    Is this one of those old wives tales (or the new one's with scientists substituted for wives)? Sounds odd. Sounds like one of those thing the 'People's army against the usage of caffeine products' would say.
    "Reduce consumption of caffeine (it depletes calcium and magnesium), simple or refined sugars (also depletes calcium and lowers bone density)..."
    Osteoporosis

    "A harmful side-effect of caffeine consumption is a decrease in the amount of calcium in the body. According to the American Dietetic Association, teens who drink coffee are probably drinking smaller amounts of milk. Also, caffeine depletes the body's already stored calcium."
    Paly Voice: Caffeine studies show harmful effects of teen coffee culture


    For INTPs

    "The caffeine-induced [Ca2+]i transient is an index of the Ca2+ content in the SR because caffeine depletes the SR of Ca2+ (18, 19, 31, 35)."
    Calcium homeostasis in rat cardiomyocytes during chronic hypoxia: a time course study -- Pei et al. 285 (6): C1420 -- AJP - Cell Physiology

    "The maximally effective caffeine concentration fully depletes the noradrenaline-sensitive Ca store as found from both contraction and 45Ca efflux experiments."
    The effects of caffeine on the noradrenaline-sensitive calcium store in rabbit aorta.

  10. #30

    Default

    Some quick coffee stuff...

    Thanks, JivinJeff. I rarely drink instant, but next time I do I will try that. Notaprettygal's reason makes sense too.

    I find Starbucks' regular drip coffee always tastes burned, but I enjoy their espresso drinks. I like the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf chain much better.

    But the best espresso drinks I've ever had in my life are at Caffe Artigiano in Vancouver. And it's not even close. The foam on the cappucino is like velvet. If you love coffee and you ever find yourself in Vancouver, put it at the top of your list of things to do.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
  2. What is the lamest song that you like?
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 03:34 AM
  3. Time is the only currency that matters
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 12-06-2009, 09:03 PM
  4. Replies: 196
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 11:22 AM
  5. To Be or Not to Be...That is the Question!!
    By Winds of Thor in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 05:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO