• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eating Cheaply

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What are the cheapest foods that you have found that are actually good? Recipes that make great things out of cheap things? Etc.

I'll start with some cheap stuff I've found-

-Microwavable chicken patties. You get a dozen for about three dollars.
-Pinto beans and rice. Super cheap. You get 2 pounds of rice for a little over a dollar... and that's a lot of food.
-Canned stuff.
-Buying store brand food.

What are yours?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also forgot to add instant oatmeal. Holy crap that stuff is cheap.

And I get beer from my mom Hexis, no need to worry about that for another ~2 years for me. :devil:

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Also, buy in bulk. If you have a Sam's or Costco membership - I save a ton of money buying chicken breasts that way.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
ramen.jpg

You cant forget about Ramen. Lived off that stuff for weeks...:sick:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm. Costco/Sams is a good idea. I have an INTP friend who is a member (his boss got it for him to get supplies, but he can use it for food as well), I could bum it off of him.

Also I refuse to eat Ramen. I will never be that poor. That stuff disgusts me.

P

Phantonym

Um. Vegetables? Depending on the season. I like to make vegetable cream soup, without the cream :D I use whatever veggies I happen to have, a glass of milk and lots of herbs or spices to give it nice flavour. Blend it all together and voilà, healthy and cheap. :)

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Yeah, costco is good for buying meats and breads in large quantities. Saves a good amount of money if you have a big enough freezer.

At the dining center in my school they serve a main entree for about 4 or 5 dollars, but the sides (which are generally more delicious--broccoli, potatoes, rice-- and served in larger amounts) are only about 80 cents each, so I just buy those. Obviously this applies to a limited demographic but it's saved me a ton of money.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Uegh, cup noodles...you might as well just pour vegetable oil and styrofoam and eat it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, salt that baby up, too.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No one appreciates good food nowadays. :dont:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol I specifically said no Ramen... seriously. Ugh. xD

Then again you're INTJ male, you're robotic enough to not let it bother you. :peepwall:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
.....no one appreciates good food nowadays. :dont:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:(

Lol I just made you highlight text!!! ZOMG! LOOK I SAID PENIS!

;)

MBTI Type
INTJ
As people have already pointed out, a lot of cheap foods are mostly grains, but you can add meats and vegetables to make them more well-rounded meals. When I wasn't working last year and didn't have any money, I ate a lot of rice or noodles with chopped veggies and a little bit of chicken.

Rice-A-Roni was good for this. At about $1 a box, it made for two meals with veggies and chicken added. Good old spaghetti is cheap too, and you can make a cheap simple sauce with canned tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Some other nutritious and cheap foods are beans, canned vegetables, tortillas and eggs. Hot dogs can be pretty cheap, and while not exactly nutritious, they can be okay if you eat them with healthier foods.

Nyx

Rice and beans, all day, every day.

Also, crock pot cooking is good because you can cook large quantities of a stew and reheat it for the following week.