Thread: Eating Cheaply

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Bunches of banannas are insanely cheap, btw.
    Yes! And when they get too ripe, peel and freeze them in a zip lock bag, and use them with milk in a smoothie. Or make banana bread (also very cheap, especially if you leave out the nuts).

Eggs are cheap. I eat eggs over easy on brown rice.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Rice?? What's this about rice?? You gotta have cornbread if you're gonna eat proper West Virginia pinto beans! Break the cornbread up in your bowl, and pour the beans over it. I like a little pickle relish to perk that up. Yum. Extremely nutritious and you can't get much more cheap.
    Of course you eat it with corn bread! I do. My family does.

But she specifically asked about fixing beans and rice for her kids, so that's why I mentioned rice.

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    You can get cuts of meat for about the same price as tuna per pound. Check my above post.
    I buy the $10/10.5 pound bag of assorted chicken limbs sometimes, but I don't eat pork. I eat a lot of tuna melts and tuna casseroles and such when my wallet is flat, but I wait for the bogo sales to stock up.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    I buy the $10/10.5 pound bag of assorted chicken limbs sometimes, but I don't eat pork. I eat a lot of tuna melts and tuna casseroles and such when my wallet is flat, but I wait for the bogo sales to stock up.
    Lol. I can't eat that much tuna, especially canned tuna. I need a hot meal with some variety in the flavor. That's why god made real meat :P . But yea, tuna is a great inexpensive source of protein (bovine, swine, birds, the occasional alligator). Man I want some alligator meat...

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Socionics
    ESI

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Um. Vegetables? ...Blend it all together and voil, healthy and cheap.
    I've been getting in the habit of eating fruit as a snack, just anytime I want to stuff something in my mouth when I'm not necessarily hungry. A $3 bag of oranges or pears from a local market lasts me three weeks. I really think local produce is the way to go if one can get in the habit of eating that way. When I see an older person with severe arthritis, one who finds it excruciating to get up from their seat, it makes you consider other costs as well.

But another thing, if you go to a farmer's market an hour or two before they pack up shop, they're dying to get rid of that produce so they don't have to take it back with them. You can pick up a 2-3lb bag of zuccini or bell peppers for $1, a melon for $2, etc. You can go home and make a veggie quesadilla!

Also, a $20 Foreman grill is great for grilling a chicken breast or burger.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Cooking from scratch is by far the cheapest way to eat food that doesn't destroy your body and sense of taste, lol. I personally love indian food, and lots of dahls. Eating less meat, too, brings your grocery bill way down. Eggs, beans, lentils, peanut butter and (sorry for this) tofu are generally much cheaper, and still great sources of protein.

Seriously, buy a decent cookbook and just try whatever sounds good and doesn't require super expensive ingredients.

I agree, buying in bulk is the best.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    sorry for this) tofu are generally much cheaper, and still great sources of protein.
    Western recipes for tofu is pretty horrible.

I don't know why someone would take something and make it worse. Doesnt' make sense.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Socionics
    ESI

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    Cooking from scratch is by far the cheapest way to eat food that doesn't destroy your body and sense of taste, lol.

Seriously, buy a decent cookbook and just try whatever sounds good and doesn't require super expensive ingredients.
    I really like canned clam chowder but will only allow myself that once a month or so. Look at the label and the sodium content is like 60% daily value! That's not even the whole can either. Maybe they do that to compensate for lack of flavor.

I tried the cookbook route, but have yet to find one that's simple enough to be practical. But I've noticed that when I watch enough cooking shows, a technique here and there will start to sink in.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

if you have access to a crockpot you can make all kinds of tasty and cheap things in there. beans, IMO, are no good from a can. I like all kinds, but if you don't like kidney/pinto beans you could try black beans or great northern (white) beans. beans and rice or cornbread is a meal that is both cheap and healthy. I don't even think a slice of pork in a large pot of beans cancels that out. marmalade's cooking directions are excellent but if you use a crockpot you can cook them all day or overnight and pay a lot less attention.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

More stuff I remembered after hitting send:

"Shop the perimeter" is another tip I've picked up for eating cheaply and healthily. In other words, stick to the fresh foods rather than the prepackaged stuff when you can. I second the recommendation to skip packets of oatmeal- they're a lot more expensive, and less healthy, than making it yourself. Long cooking oats taste better to me, but they do take a few minutes to cook, and quick oats are.. well, quick.

Couscous is also pretty cheap and easy. Throw some chickpeas up in there and some curry spices or whatever you like, a little sour cream maybe, and it's a meal.

I don't buy canned foods anymore because I found out the can liners have Bisphenol-A, an endocrine disruptor. Even most of the organic canned foods have it. When I need quick stuff I go for frozen, which tends to be cheaper anyway, at least where I live. One of my standby quick/cheap meals is baked potatoes (in the microwave if we're in a hurry) and steamed frozen California mix (broccoli/cauliflower/carrots).
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii