First 34567 Last

Thread: Eating Cheaply

MBTI
    INFP

Add stuff to the noodles.

MBTI
    ENTP

I am sooo hungry!

The cheapest way to get food is to get other people to buy it for you.
    You can call me Charles.

I buy fresh fruits and vegetables about 3 times a week, since they spoil easily. Pasta keeps for a long time and is also cheap. I've found that meat, although expensive per pound, is worth buying since it's highly nutritious. I usually buy meat that's on sale and cut it into small portions and freeze. I buy london broils twice a month and frozen salmon once a month. I get tuna, because it's also cheap(less than $1/pound) and a good addition to pasta recipes. I don't buy canned fruits(too expensive per pound) or frozen pizzas, dried foods, highly processed "tv" dinners. Even the cheaper frozen, microwaveable foods are more expensive that a decent steak. I grow food too, that might be an option if you have a yard and sunlight.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Taco Bell!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Maruchan ramen instant lunch is a good idea. On sale you can get them for about 30 cents each with tax included, so you can have one for lunch and one for dinner, and that'd only be 60 cents not counting the amount used to get/heat the water needed. Breakfast tends to be more expensive though, and most would say that a Maruchan Ramen Instant Lunch is not fitting for breakfast.

My parents are/have trained me well in the ways of efficiency.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    And he's right. I just finished eating my cup noodles about half an hour ago with the peas and carrots. Makes for an amazing meal plus it's cheap.
    lol, cheap is true :-)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    I buy fresh fruits and vegetables about 3 times a week, since they spoil easily. Pasta keeps for a long time and is also cheap. I've found that meat, although expensive per pound, is worth buying since it's highly nutritious. I usually buy meat that's on sale and cut it into small portions and freeze. I buy london broils twice a month and frozen salmon once a month. I get tuna, because it's also cheap(less than $1/pound) and a good addition to pasta recipes. I don't buy canned fruits(too expensive per pound) or frozen pizzas, dried foods, highly processed "tv" dinners. Even the cheaper frozen, microwaveable foods are more expensive that a decent steak. I grow food too, that might be an option if you have a yard and sunlight.
    You can get cuts of meat for about the same price as tuna per pound. Check my above post.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I mean, thanks, maybe I'll try that with my kids. No spices?
    Ok...I am from the WV where people take great pride in their pinto beans.

Buy a bag of dried pintos. Dirt cheap. Seperate and soak and prepare according to package. Simmer on medium-low heat for a couple of hours with plenty of salt, some pepper, chopped onion, and fat back,ham,bacon, or pork shoulder to add flavoring. I believe that fat back is the cheapest. (If you use a particularly salty pork for flavor, back off on the table salt, of course.)

Rice can be served with butter and salt, as black cat noted, or with spices or hot sauce. Soy sauce is always an option with rice for me, of course. But you don't want to mix that with your pinto beans, no, no.

If you want it more Southwest style, drain your beans after cooking them, mix with plain rice, and add salsa or some other "red" sauce and melt cheese on top. Mmmm.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Bunches of banannas are insanely cheap, btw.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Ok...I am from the WV where people take great pride in their pinto beans.

Buy a bag of dried pintos. Dirt cheap. Seperate and soak and prepare according to package. Simmer on medium-low heat for a couple of hours with plenty of salt, some pepper, chopped onion, and fat back,ham,bacon, or pork shoulder to add flavoring. I believe that fat back is the cheapest. (If you use a particularly salty pork for flavor, back off on the table salt, of course.)

Rice can be served with butter and salt, as black cat noted, or with spices or hot sauce. Soy sauce is always an option with rice for me, of course. But you don't want to mix that with your pinto beans, no, no.

If you want it more Southwest style, drain your beans after cooking them, mix with plain rice, and add salsa or some other "red" sauce and melt cheese on top. Mmmm.

Rice?? What's this about rice?? You gotta have cornbread if you're gonna eat proper West Virginia pinto beans! Break the cornbread up in your bowl, and pour the beans over it. I like a little pickle relish to perk that up. Yum. Extremely nutritious and you can't get much more cheap.