User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Eating Cheaply

MBTI
    INFP

Are you talking long term cheap or just get through college cheap? If long term look into the various preparedness info available and make modifications to suit your needs. I have a pantry with 5 gallon buckets (2 will hold 50 lbs of most grains in their various forms) of oatmeal, oat bran, brown basmati rice and spelt flour... enough - you get the idea.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

if you like fish buy canned tuna, salmon, sardines, etc because it's cheaper than buying fresh meat...you can make tuna fish sandwiches, or turn the salmon into salmon patties (with an egg, some dry bread or cracker crumbs, and maybe an onion...onions last a while, btw, you can keep an onion in the fridge to add flavor to various things)

Eggs - poached eggs are really healthy, and if you like scrambled eggs or omelettes with cheese buy cheese when it's on sale: unopened packages of cheese last for MONTHS in your fridge (just be sure to check the expiration date) so you can buy cheese in bulk when you find it at a low price

Of course everyones already said beans (you can try different types of beans) and rice and oatmeal and ramen

peanut butter

soup

canned vegtables

spaghetti without meat is very cheap, because you can stock up on the pasta and the tomato sauce and just cook it maybe with a little butter or olive oil if you like

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Also, I'd like to add that if you can't stand ramen, you can technically live off of bread (whole grain is best, or wheat at least) and milk for a couple of days...you can also put milk and sugar in rice so you don't get bored with eating it with beans all of the time

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Some of the suggestions here are *cheap* certainly, but also maybe because I'm old and ornery, stuff like Rice-a-Roni and canned sardines, I would not call edible for long periods of time.

1. There is nothing cheap (or edible) about instant oatmeal compared to real oatmeal (and it's just as fast). Quick oats take 90 secs in the microwave. Awesome. Like said before, grains are cheap: oats, rice, etc.
    2. Beans. Very nutritious. Dried beans are cheaper than canned beans.
    3. Produce. While Costco and Sam's Club deals are cheap- I'm not sure it's such a great deal unless you can actual consume their giant quantities. I cannot. So I stick to what's in season. Fruits especially freeze very well, so I can wait for the good sales. Comparison shop! Know lots of markets and look at the prices and you will begin to see what is truly a deal and what is a scam. (Personally, I interchange between going out to supermarkets, like Safeway, Asian supermarkets, and smaller local markets.)
    3b. Vegetables. I would not actually recommend canned vegetables for anything except corn. Frozen is an option (and is super-easy to prepare). Depends on what you like/what's available in your area. Here what I see is cheapest is cabbage, green beans. and all types of very green leafy stuff (on choy, mustard, etc).
    4. Cook for yourself. Eating out is not cheap. Period. Cafeterias and supermarket (see above point) delis are also cheapish (here they give you deli coupons when you spend money at the supermarket).
    5. Do not be overwhelmed by big chunks of uncooked meat. Pork shoulder/butt/"natural ribs" regularly go under $1.29/lb. Whole chicken goes $.70/lb. It's more work maybe than you might be willing to go to, but I think it's worth it. You can start with soup. It's very hard to mess up soup.
    6. Everything marmalade sunshine said: eggs, peanut butter, pasta (a jar of pasta sauce goes a long way- canned plain tomato sauce is even cheaper and great if you like to embellish), etc.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Probably the cheapest way to go is to buy grains/nuts/dried fruit in the bulk aisle of your grocery store.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Kraft dinner was invented for a reason.

Also, water.

And spices.

Seriously, I'm living on a rather tight budget myself right now (about $200 per month for food).

This basically means about $5-7 per day for 3 meals... not easy to do.

Limit meat usage, increase the use of juice, pasta, cereal, etc, and it's quite low cost. Cereal especially I've noticed that a single box of cereal for like $7, can last a good ~10-20 meals usually if yeu buy the larger bulk boxes.

BULK - seriously, buy everything in larger quantities. Sure it's more expencive upfront, but it's cheaper in the long run. Get large amounts of stuff for the discounted pricing on anything that lasts awhile.

Also, buy non-name brand stuff; sure it may not taste as good alot of the time, but sometimes it actually tastes BETTER, yet costs a good 1/3rd less often.

Frozen "mix it yeurself" juice is also a good way to get several liters of drink for under a dollar.

Make abusive use of bulk food stores, dollar stores, and anything similar.

Spices are yeur friends; they're dirt cheap and can turn even a sub-par meal into a very tasty one quickly. Oregano's a personal favorite, but for the cost vs amount actually used to flavour things, I think cayenne may be the winner.

Organic foods really aren't that good for yeu and are often twice the price of normal stuff; stick to regular veggies; they're generally healthier, have more vitamins, have less toxins in them, and are cheaper.

If yeu aren't diabetic (unfortunately I am), yeu can get away with junk foods too; healthy food's expencive, junk food's cheap in comparison. Unless yeu're comparing it to pasta... there's not too many things I've found that can out-price pasta. A single box of like $2.17 here is good for about 5 meals or so. Hard to beat that pricing!

Unless yeu drink water. Then it's free. But water is bleh. Especially since the stuff here tastes like pool water due to how much chlorine they've pumped into it >.<

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Pound of lentils (a whole $1.29 here for brown lentils, it's better with red, but red are a lot more expensive), water, lots of cumin, cayenne and turmeric. Cook for a long while. Eat it for a few meals.

Anyone want to tell me HOW to make pintos and rice. I don't really like pintos but I want to at least try it. My kids like kidney beans and pinto beans. GROSS!

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Anyone want to tell me HOW to make pintos and rice. I don't really like pintos but I want to at least try it. My kids like kidney beans and pinto beans. GROSS!
    1. Make rice
    2. Get pinto beans from a can
    3. Mix

() 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I mean, thanks, maybe I'll try that with my kids. No spices?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I just add butter and salt like I would if I were eating normal rice.

Yeah, I'd say just eat it like you were eating rice alone, put whatever you want in it. The beans basically just add some texture and make you fill up quicker. They don't really taste like anything.

For me, I take one cup of rice and make it, then that seems to mix perfectly with the amount of beans that a 16 oz can has in it.

Why is it disgusting?
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)