• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kyuuei's Cook book!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Vanilla Quinoa Pudding
Quinoa in this application results in a cross between rice pudding and tapioca, with more protein than either.

•3 cups whole milk (works well with soy or nut milk for a vegan version)
•1 vanilla bean (split, or 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract)
•1/4 cup maple syrup
•pinch of salt
•1 cup quinoa
Rinse quinoa. Mix milk, vanilla, maple syrup and salt in a saucepan and set on simmer. Add quinoa and cook for 30 minutes, stirring frequently (but not constantly).Once thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool. Serve warm, or refrigerate. Top with all kinds of delicious tidbits; berries, dried fruit, nuts, nutmeg, brown sugar, etc.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Some people just don't know what's good.

So... back to really talking about food... what do you have in the way of one-pot meals?

I sort of forgot about you somewhere along the way :laugh: So here's some recipes I am fond of.

Any soups are going to be easy one-pot recipes you can create. Chili's, casseroles and things like this are ideal 'quick' dinners. Of course, there are plenty of things pre-one pot made you can try as well. But as far as casseroles go, I love them. They're easy, tasty, and use literally anything you have leftover.

Don't particularly like peas? They taste like casserole in casserole. Don't like how tough the chicken breast was last night? soaking it in some mushroom soup base and then adding it all to the casserole fixes that right up.

Another thing that uses to leftovers REALLY well are quesadillas and enchiladas, both one-pot dishes. I'm actually a huge fan of the whole.. eat what you cooked before you make something new thing. So I tend to cook things to where it comes out perfect in portion sizes (and make a dessert, or a snack, so people who wanted seconds can eat something that won't be easily wasted and forgotten in the fridge) or, more likely, I cook something a bit versatile the first night (stir-fry, chicken nuggets, pulled pork, etc.) and then combine ingredients to create different things out of it the next couple nights.

Anyways, I hope that answers your questions!

Steamed buns -- Im going to try this sometime soon when I create the dango, and see how to adjust the recipe.

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions
1.Mix together yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 cup warm water. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
2.Mix in 1/2 cup warm water, flour, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, and vegetable oil. Knead until dough surface is smooth and elastic. Roll over in a greased bowl, and let stand until triple in size, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
3.Punch down dough, and spread out on a floured board. Sprinkle baking powder evenly on surface, and knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 2 parts, and place the piece you are not working with in a covered bowl. Divide each half into 12 parts. Shape each part into a ball with smooth surface up. Put each ball on a wax paper square. Let stand covered until double, about 30 minutes.
4.Bring water to a boil in wok, and reduce heat to medium; the water should still be boiling. Place steam-plate on a small wire rack in the middle of the wok. Transfer as many buns on wax paper as will comfortably fit onto steam-plate leaving 1 to 2 inches between the buns. At least 2 inches space should be left between steam-plate and the wok. Cover wok with lid. Steam buns over boiling water for 15 minutes.
5.REMOVE LID BEFORE you turn off heat, or else water will drip back onto bun surface and produce yellowish "blisters" on bun surfaces. Continue steaming batches of buns until all are cooked.

STuffed steamed buns:

8 ounces chopped pork
1 (4 ounce) can shrimp, drained and chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger root
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white sugar
ground black pepper to taste
2 1/2 tablespoons water
1 recipe Chinese Steamed Buns Directions
1.Cook chopped pork in a wok over medium heat. After 3 minutes of cooking add chopped shrimp if desired. Cook until pork is no longer pink. Drain, season with salt and set aside to cool.
2.Mix together green onions, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine, oil, sugar, and pepper. Stir in minced meat. Stir in water and mix thoroughly. Chill in freezer for 2 hours, or in refrigerator overnight to firm up and blend flavors.
3.Prepare dough for Chinese Steamed Buns.
4.Shape dough into balls. Roll each out into a circle, (like Won-Ton wrappers). Put 1 tablespoonful of prepared meat mixture in the center of each circle, and wrap dough around filling. Place seams down onto wax paper squares. Let stand until doubled, about 30 minutes.
5.Bring water to a boil in wok, and reduce heat to medium; the water should still be boiling. Place steam-plate on a small wire rack in the middle of the wok. Transfer as many buns on wax paper as will comfortably fit onto steam-plate leaving 1 to 2 inches between the buns. At least 2 inches space should be left between steam-plate and the wok. Cover wok with lid. Steam buns over boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes.
6.REMOVE LID BEFORE you turn off heat, or else water will drip back onto bun surface and produce yellowish "blisters" on bun surfaces. Continue steaming batches of buns until all are cooked.

Category: Lunch.

Another way to cook Hot dogs
Calories: However many calories a hot dog is
Source: The Viking cooking guy at the home show

- Crab Oil
- Hot dogs
- Melted butter
- Hot sauce

Very simple, just adds a bit of flavor to hot dogs while cooking them. Add some crab oil to the hot dog and bring it up slowly to a simmering heat. When warmer, transfer to a skillet or bake basted in a 50/50 mixture of melted butter and hot sauce.

Just wanted to quote this and say I did it the other day, and it was heaven. .. Ya know. If you like fatty meat-by-product. :laugh: And I certainly do.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I made some awesome jello shots the other day, and thought I'd post them here.

Chocolate Strawberry shots
- 3oz package of strawberry jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 oz white chocolate liquer (I used Godiva, because it was free because I had a small vial from a christmas package)
- 3 oz Creme de Cocoa
- 4 oz Vanilla rum
- 1 oz water or juice

For Peachy-Vanilla shots
-3 oz pack of Peach jello
- 4 oz vanilla rum
- 2 oz water
- 2 oz peach schnapps

And for tropical punch
- 3oz pack of Fusion jello (The tropical pineapple cherry one)
- 2 oz lime bite rum
- 2 oz Creme de banana
- 4 oz water

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Category: Quick Dinner
Calories: Not healthy for you.

BBQ Pockets

Ingredients:
- Pulled pork shoulder (we just popped a completely frozen one in the oven for 24 hours sealed in aluminum foil with a water pan below it for moisture.)
- BBQ Sauce, any kind you like
- Optional: BBQ meat rub, spices or the wet kind
- Biscuits
- Chopped onions. I used frozen ones, thawed them out in some warm water and let those become some of the moisture inside.
- Shredded cheese

Mix together the shredded meat, cheese, onions, and rub.
Also, roll out the biscuits into bigger circles. I just used a cup.
Rub a tiny bit of BBQ sauce on the bottom of the biscuit, where you'll put the pile of mix. Skip this step if you used wet BBQ rub.
Put enough mixture in to where you think you MAY not be able to close the biscuit.
Fold the biscuit over, and use a fork to seal the sides. Then pinch the sides shut with your fingers to ensure a decent seal.
Bake at 350 degrees for 23-26 minutes, when the biscuits look the way you'd want them to look normally.

IMAG0923.jpg

IMAG0922.jpg

IMAG0924.jpg

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Category: Quick Dinner
Calories: Not healthy for you.

BBQ Pockets

Ingredients:
- Pulled pork shoulder (we just popped a completely frozen one in the oven for 24 hours sealed in aluminum foil with a water pan below it for moisture.)
- BBQ Sauce, any kind you like
- Optional: BBQ meat rub, spices or the wet kind
- Biscuits
- Chopped onions. I used frozen ones, thawed them out in some warm water and let those become some of the moisture inside.
- Shredded cheese

Mix together the shredded meat, cheese, onions, and rub.
Also, roll out the biscuits into bigger circles. I just used a cup.
Rub a tiny bit of BBQ sauce on the bottom of the biscuit, where you'll put the pile of mix. Skip this step if you used wet BBQ rub.
Put enough mixture in to where you think you MAY not be able to close the biscuit.
Fold the biscuit over, and use a fork to seal the sides. Then pinch the sides shut with your fingers to ensure a decent seal.
Bake at 350 degrees for 23-26 minutes, when the biscuits look the way you'd want them to look normally.

IMAG0923.jpg

IMAG0922.jpg

IMAG0924.jpg
:drool:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ I used the left-over filling this way:

1. Mac and Cheese Homestyles kit
2. Make kit as usual, only add the filling as well.
3. Bake it like it says on the instructions. Enjoy.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Vanilla Quinoa Pudding
Quinoa in this application results in a cross between rice pudding and tapioca, with more protein than either.

•3 cups whole milk (works well with soy or nut milk for a vegan version)
•1 vanilla bean (split, or 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract)
•1/4 cup maple syrup
•pinch of salt
•1 cup quinoa
Rinse quinoa. Mix milk, vanilla, maple syrup and salt in a saucepan and set on simmer. Add quinoa and cook for 30 minutes, stirring frequently (but not constantly).Once thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool. Serve warm, or refrigerate. Top with all kinds of delicious tidbits; berries, dried fruit, nuts, nutmeg, brown sugar, etc.

I made this tonight with soy milk and it was delicious! I couldn't believe it was only sweetened with a little maple syrup!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I made this tonight with soy milk and it was delicious! I couldn't believe it was only sweetened with a little maple syrup!

Would I steer you wrong? :D !! I don't know why Quinoa sweetens so easily, maybe it's naturally sweet and this brings it out some? :shrug:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Would I steer you wrong? :D !! I don't know why Quinoa sweetens so easily, maybe it's naturally sweet and this brings it out some? :shrug:

Yeah, I don't know, but I loved it! I think I'm gonna look for more stuff like that to take the place of processed sweet stuff. Lemme know if you find some good ones!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Quinoa is the absolute BEST as a complete protein – it is a versatile food that can be combined with anything.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:laugh: I never bothered to transfer these recipes over from my blog.

Century-old Banana Bread
Calories: As much as in cake
Source: [MENTION=4972]Clownmaster[/MENTION] 's grandmother's mother :D

1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup mashed bananas (or just 3 bananas) (This can be replaced with pumpkin puree)

Mix all ingredients (sugar and butter first) and bake on 350 for 35 minutes
in a rectangular baking pan, on a solid flat surface (no grate in the oven)
Coat top with butter before serving

Chicken Wing recipe alternative, in the attempt to make them more healthy.
Calories: Cut via baking instead of frying, juicy marinades to keep the chicken moist, and re-vamped low-cal sauces.
Source: Spicing up a cooking yourself thin recipe.

1 Package of chicken wings obviously. An eyeballed mixture of 3 parts Newman's Own Lime Vinegarette Salad Dressing, 1 part soy sauce, 1/2 part worsheshire (hell if I know how to spell it Lol) sauce, and a good few shakes of Grill Mates Monreal Chicken Spice in a plastic baggy to marinade. I let it marinade throughout the day.

Piece of parchment paper in a pan, arrange the chicken wings on it and pour the leftover sauce on top of them. Cook for 12-15 minutes, turn over, and cook another 5-10 minutes. When they're almost done, turn the oven off and let them settle while making the sauce.

Buffalo wing sauce: 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock that's low sodium and fat free, however much hot sauce you want (I looove frank's red hot sauce for it, and I used a lot..), a clove (or spoonful if you're lazy like me and buy it) of minced garlic. Mix 1 Tbsp of Cornstarch with 1 Tbsp of water, then add those two the sauce to thicken it and make it cling to the chicken. Heat it up in a small saucepan and it's good to go. Pour the chickens into a bowl, pour sauce on top, set them on a tray, pour remaining sauce over them.

Bleu Cheese Dipping sauce: 1/3 cup lowfat buttermilk, 1/3 cup light mayo, amount of bleu cheese you want (I used almost an entire small store-bought container- 1/2 cup) salt pepper and lemon juice to taste and blend them all together in a blender and it's ready for dipping. Serve with celery and carrot sticks.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ So. I made stuffing adapted from the recipe listed above.

Pumpkin Stuffing:

Step 1. Replace the above recipe's bananas for that much pumpkin puree. Packed pumpkin in a can works just fine for this.
Step 2. Bake the bread listed above. You'll need almost all of it, with just enough left over for breakfast that morning.

After that, do this:

6 cups pumpkin bread cut into bite-sized cubes
1 cup butter
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups chopped red onion OR 1 cup chopped white onion and 1/2 cup chopped green onion
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
(Cut those measurements in half if using dried herbs. I also tossed in a bit of Italian seasoning, cumin, and chile powder.)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth*

Spread cubes on a baking sheet and let dry overnight. The bread in the above recipe is SO moist that this will not be enough, especially if you live in a humid area like mine. Heat in a 200 degree oven until dried out and crunchy, then preheat the oven to 375 and grease up a baking dish with pam. Put the bread cubes into a bowl.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium/low heat. Sautee celery and onions for about 10 minutes until they're all soft, then add mushrooms and continue cooking for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Add herbs and seasonings. Pour this over the bread cubes and add enough broth to moisten them. (I added 1/4th cup, then when I put them into the pan and spread them out I poured slowly the edges of the bread with about half of the other half cup.) Cover the baking dish with foil as tightly as possible.

Bake for about 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes or so, just to make the top a bit crispier, and you're done! It came out looking like this. And it rocked. Perfect blend of savory and slightly sweet.

IMAG1054.jpg

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm reading a book called "How to feed your family for $25 a week." a $2 e-book by Gaby Sunheart. The book is really interesting.. It's a Mediterranean based diet for the most part, and uses some pretty frugal methods (such as growing your own vegetables to eat each day) but this lady actually fed her family this every day for quite some time.. It is interesting how she adapted to her situation.

The recipes and the food works out for the most part--I'd probably up the rice intake especially during soup meals, but otherwise it isn't so bad. If you were strapped for cash seriously and still wanted to eat healthy, this book gives you everything you need to arm yourself for that.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Ive been developing some recipes on this thing, posting things I want to try, etc.. But I really want to create a cookbook of my own. Test, experiment, and compile the ingredients and sections to create something complete that I can use year-round that cover my favorite foods, ingredients, etc. I think it will be my first project when I finish the house, so look forward to something more comprehensive and organized in the following year or two.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've been browsing around The Kitchn lately, it is an AMAZING website!! Thought I'd stick a couple recipes I mean to try.

Category: Breakfast

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30315-chorizo-scotch-eggs This is the source I'm basing it on.

Mexican-inspired Scotch eggs. (This recipe would also work very well with cornflakes and breakfast sausage.)

8 large eggs
Salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
5 ounces corn tortilla chips
12 ounces fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed
2 quarts vegetable oil, for frying
1 tablespoon of the following mixture: 1 part each rosemary, tarragon, parsley, chives

Put 6 of the eggs into a pot in a single layer, cover 1" past with cold water and bring to a boil. Then remove from heat, put on a lid, and allow them to sit for 3 minutes.
Transfer eggs to an ice water bath and allow them to sit for 10 minutes. Remove shells and rinse and pat dry.
Break the other two eggs and whisk until blended together. Add dried seasoning mixture to flour and stir.
Roll the chorizo out flat between two sheets of plastic wrap until they are about 5 inches in diameter.
Wrap the egg in the chorizo discs.
Once egg is covered, dredge the egg in the flour and seasonings mixture.
Dip the egg in the broken eggs, and let the excess drip off.
Process tortilla chips in a food processor until fine crumbs form, and then roll egg-coated scotch eggs in the chips.
Heat oil to 350 degrees F, and drop 3 eggs in at a time for around 4 minutes when the chorizo is cooked entirely through.
Set the eggs to drain off excess oil.

Dip for these eggs:

1 medium avocado, cut in half lengthwise, peel and pit removed
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 1 medium lime)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Combine ingredients into food processor.

Also, these just sound amazing.
http://www.chow.com/recipes/29845-mini-beer-and-sausage-corn-dogs

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tunisian-brik-style-eggs-50400000123587/

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Taken from my blog, and continued into detail:

I've been working on developing a cheap, easy dietary plan for my parents and myself. They need to lose weight, it is my top priority for their health problems. Veggies need to be loaded on for my mother, and my father needs calories, but the right kinds.

I'm going to have some fun with these recipes as I get home and start movin' and groovin'. My hope is, $100 worth of staples that we need for the month (flour, sugar, nuts, beans, spices, etc.), and $75 a week for food (veggies, fruits, meats, etc.) which is about all we can afford anyways.

Sundays are a pre-prep day. Put the nuts to soak overnight, grocery shopping for the week, etc.

Mondays we'll have quick, easy dinners and we'll cook for the week. Smoothie cups for the week, healthy muffins, pancake mixes, bread, soup mixes, marinades for meats, milk, nut-butters, and condiments all need creating so that they're super fast and easy the rest of the days.

The items we'll need to make this work: a more powerful blender, a stand-upright mixer, a bread machine, 3 divided TV dinner-style glass plates with lids, and two casserole dishes. We have most of that stuff I believe.

I think the idea is to have 2 weeks worth of meals planned out, and keep rotating those meals. That's eating the same thing twice a month, not too bad. So, make a list of the foods, and then sort them out into calendar style meals. For now, we'll just follow cooking yourself thin and skinny-style recipes and utilize a simple weight watchers program. As we move forward it'll be better.

Breakfasts: One recipe a day + One Chocolate Java Green Smoothie.

- Oatmeal (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/baked-oatmeal-with-blueberries-and.html)
- Cereal (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/easy-pumpkin-spiced-granola.html)
- Grits (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/03/shrimp-creole.html)
- Pancakes (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/heart-shaped-chocolate-chip-banana.html)
- Muffins (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/08/chocolate-chocolate-chip-banana-muffins.html) (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/03/insanely-good-blueberry-oatmeal-muffins.html)
- French toast (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/bananas-fosters-topped-overnight-french.html)
- Casserole (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/12/make-over-breakfast-sausage-and.html)

As we'll be making the bread ourselves, and have a ton of figs, I figured http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/09/fig-olive-oil-and-sea-salt-challah-book-tour/ this is a good start for the bread.

Lunch style 1: Soup and salad + one green smoothie.
Soups:
- Tomato soup (http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/recipecomdetail.jsp?recipeId=25124510)
- Bean stew (Our own recipe)
- Chilled zucchini soup (http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/recipecomdetail.jsp?recipeId=25112010)
- Broccoli and cheese soup (http://www.pbfingers.com/2012/02/03/healthy-broccoli-cheese-soup/)
- Cream of potato soup (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/baked-potato-soup.html)
- Spinach zucchini soup (http://bewitchingkitchen.com/2012/04/27/a-super-healthy-soup/)
- Cucumber soup (http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/recipecomdetail.jsp?recipeId=25123180)
- Asparagus soup (http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/recipecomdetail.jsp?recipeId=25128705)

Salads:
- Asian inspired salad
- Simple garden salad
- Tangy spinach and apple salad
- Mexican-style salad

Lunch style 2: Sandwich and Snack.

Sandwiches:
- Tuna salad sandwich
- Typical turkey-and-cheese sandwich
- Egg salad sandwich
- BLT

Snacks:
- Pizza bites
- Veggies and dip
- Chips and dip (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/lighter-buffalo-chicken-dip.html) (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/skinny-taco-dip.html)
- Fruits and dip (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/11/pumpkin-pie-dip.html)

Dinner staples: Simply follow recipes and use portion control.
- Lasagna (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/zucchini-lasagna.html)
- Enchiladas (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/turkey-and-black-bean-enchiladas.html) (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/chicken-enchiladas.html) (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/03/cheesy-zucchini-enchiladas.html)
- Tacos
- Chicken wings (Cooking yourself thin recipe)
- Chili
- Gumbo
- Sloppy joes (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/skinny-sloppy-joes.html)
- BBQ (Homemade sauce and a grill)
- Hamburgers (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/05/buffalo-turkey-burgers-with-blue-cheese.html)
- Chicken nuggets (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/healthy-baked-chicken-nuggets.html)
- Eggplant Parmesan (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/lighter-eggplant-parmesan-5-pts.html)
- Meatloaf (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/08/skinny-meatloaf-cupcakes-with-mashed.html)
- Pizza (Veggie toppings, homemade crust, light cheeses)

Sides: The idea is to use a smaller portion of these recipes to help give a bit extra to the dinners.
- Potato salad (http://thisweekfordinner.com/2011/06/21/a-healthy-twist-on-classic-potato-salad/)
- Stuffed mushrooms (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/skinny-spinach-and-bacon-stuffed.html)
- Mashed potatoes (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/garlic-mashed-potatoes-3-ww-points.html)
- French fries (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/11/baked-chipotle-sweet-potato-fries.html)
- Deviled eggs (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/04/deviled-eggs.html)
- Broccoli and cheese macaroni (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/skinny-baked-broccoli-macaroni-and.html)
- Mozzarella sticks (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/skinny-baked-mozzarella-sticks.html)

Desserts: One dessert + one cup of nut milk (Hazelnut chocolate milk or pecan cinnamon milk)
- Ice cream (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/low-fat-vanilla-bean-frozen-yogurt.html)
- Cupcake (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/super-moist-low-fat-chocolate-cupcakes.html)
- Yogurt cups (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/05/lemon-cheesecake-yogurt-cups.html)
- Cookies (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/to-die-for-coconut-cookies.html) (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/08/best-low-fat-chocolate-chip-cookies.html)
- Chocolate (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/brownie-batter-pancakes.html)
- Cake (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/09/pumpkin-spice-no-bake-cheesecake.html)

We'll see how these work out for us and adjust from there.. I can adapt these recipes to keep them under budget as well.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Homemade glaze for a spiral ham: From Alton Brown. His recipe was a little confusing, so I just stole the glaze part of it and followed instructions on the packaging for the ham otherwise.

I used this on a pre-cooked ham that just needed heating and was already sliced. Instead of that crappy pre-packaged sauce they give you to glaze it with, here's what I used:

- Spicy brown mustard
- Dark brown sugar
- Bourbon
- Cheap ginger snap cookies

Put the cut side of ham down on the roasting pan, so all of the skin is showing. Rub the mustard on first, which acts like a glue for the brown sugar and creates a paste-y like substance. Spritz the entire thing liberally with bourbon. Mill the ginger snap cookies until they're a fine shred and coat the ham with as much as will stick until the surface looks almost completely dry as a result. A couple more spritzes of bourbon and, I promise you, it'll taste way better than that other crap.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Chicken Wing recipe alternative, in the attempt to make them more healthy.
Calories: Cut via baking instead of frying, juicy marinades to keep the chicken moist, and re-vamped low-cal sauces.
Source: Spicing up a cooking yourself thin recipe.

1 Package of chicken wings obviously. An eyeballed mixture of 3 parts Newman's Own Lime Vinegarette Salad Dressing, 1 part soy sauce, 1/2 part worsheshire (hell if I know how to spell it Lol) sauce, and a good few shakes of Grill Mates Monreal Chicken Spice in a plastic baggy to marinade. I let it marinade throughout the day.

Piece of parchment paper in a pan, arrange the chicken wings on it and pour the leftover sauce on top of them. Cook for 12-15 minutes, turn over, and cook another 5-10 minutes. When they're almost done, turn the oven off and let them settle while making the sauce.

Buffalo wing sauce: 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock that's low sodium and fat free, however much hot sauce you want (I looove frank's red hot sauce for it, and I used a lot..), a clove (or spoonful if you're lazy like me and buy it) of minced garlic. Mix 1 Tbsp of Cornstarch with 1 Tbsp of water, then add those two the sauce to thicken it and make it cling to the chicken. Heat it up in a small saucepan and it's good to go. Pour the chickens into a bowl, pour sauce on top, set them on a tray, pour remaining sauce over them.

Bleu Cheese Dipping sauce: 1/3 cup lowfat buttermilk, 1/3 cup light mayo, amount of bleu cheese you want (I used almost an entire small store-bought container- 1/2 cup) salt pepper and lemon juice to taste and blend them all together in a blender and it's ready for dipping. Serve with celery and carrot sticks.

Dood, I am so trying this out while I'm home.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Dood, I am so trying this out while I'm home.

:D thanks! That one is one of my favorite recipes, I actually ended up liking it better than buffalo wings! My next adventure with them is to try shake-and-baking them tenders marinading them, mixing the blue cheese and buffalo sauce together, and dipping them in it to see if it tastes like fried boneless wings. :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
How to make perfect, crispy chicken wings without frying them. Honest. :D

I really dislike fried items in comparison to other cooking methods. Chicken wings seems to be one of those issues where sans frying them they'll always turn out 'wet' in nature, or without any crisp to them. But! I've found the PERFECT method for fixing this. Check it out.

- Chicken wings
- A big pot
- Lots of salt
- Two towels
- Tongs
- Two baking sheets lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray

Alright. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lay out one of the towels flat.

So the trick is, fill the pot halfway with water and salt it until it tastes like something you'd try in the ocean after it has rained. Way too salty to be yummy, but you won't gag either. Boil the water. Keep it boiling and add the chicken wings and boil about 7-8 minutes. (I started taking them out at 6 minutes and was done by 8 minutes.) When you take them out, put them on the towel and put the other towel on top of them and pat them dry. After that, place them on the baking sheets and pop them in the oven for 30 minutes. Take them out, turn them over, and in again for another 10 minutes.

They're comfortably crispy and crunchy on the outside, and juicy on the inside. No need for marinades or sauces, and they pick up the buffalo wing sauce and/or bbq sauces just as well as the fried stuff. No, seriously. :D The issue I have with this recipe so far is the chicken wings sticking to the foil when attempting to flip them over and then take them off the baking sheet... but I used a cheap butter spray, I think next time a good quality non-stick olive oil spray might just do the trick.